1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Parody of the "Emerging Church"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Joshua2415, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

Found this on the Internet. It reminded me precisely of many of the worship services I attended while looking for a church up in Wisconsin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ghjPbULEU

It's a clean video.

Sorry if this is the wrong location for this.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Those are great. Sad too.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Ooooh, that has to sting the EC folks. The key word, of course, is "relevant." Everything, I mean everything has to be relevant.

Go here http://www.bccwired.com/ for some relatively relevant use of obsenity. Scroll down to Message Archives. I don't like to refer anybody to obscene language, much a sermon series with obscene titles--but we're all adults here, I hope.

5. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Who is it, really, that responds to all this flash? It would be interesting to see if there is a psychological profile for adherents to these "churches". And it would be interesting too to know how long the average tenure is before people become disenchanted and go off looking for something else.

6. Alive in Christ

Whew...those 3 "comments" to the messages that were posted in response are a scathing rebuke regarding the "gotta be sooo cool" approach to doing church.

I hope the pastor (or whatever he is called.."cool guy1"?..) will read them and think soberly about his approach.

#6 Alive in Christ, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2011
  7. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

Ha...that second one is a perfect example of "cafeteria Christianity."

8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

It'd be funny if it wasn't such a sad example of... nah, it's just funny.:laugh:

9. new

new New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. PeterM

PeterM Member

Proves that one can take almost anything out of context and make it say whatever they want.

11. mandym

mandym New Member

Sometimes I believe "relevant" means "whatever we want to do". Its not about God or the gospel.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Wow this is so true. Although this video was amplified this is exactly what is happening in the church.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

13. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nice video. If anything it should make us question ourselves, our likes, our dislikes and our approach.

I laughed at it, but I also had to say "boy I hope we are not like that and God forbid we end up like that."

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice Tom....feel like Im back in the military

15. Alive in Christ

This was given during a service. He is talking to christians.

We've all said it? We have all said those words?

Gee, I must be the odd one out. That type of language disappeared from my vocabulary in 1982 when I was born again. And all of my christian freinds? They dont use sewer language either.

Whats wrong with us? Guess I need to get with the program and start using sewer language again so that I can be a *relevant* christian.

HOGWASH!! :BangHead::tonofbricks:

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Sadly, this video is spot on.

While searching for a new church I attended a church like this for several months a couple of years ago. One Sunday I sat in the balcony behind the audio/video mixing board and the directors chair. I could see the video monitors and the stage directions and camera cues scrolling down the screens. Everything was scripted, right down to the length of the prayer.

I actually saw things like:

< OPENING WORSHIP SONG: SHOUT TO THE LORD; 4 minutes, 45 seconds >

< 30-45 SECOND PRAYER by Missions Pastor Mike Johnson>

< INTRODUCTORY MISSIONS REMARKS BY Mike Johnson; 1 minute 45 seconds >

< COSTA RICA MISSIONS VIDEO, 4 minutes 25 seconds >

etc. etc.

17. Alive in Christ

Did you see anything this?...

Spontanious expression of joy by praise group: 47 seconds :confused:

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm not sure that ANY church is immune to this sort of nonsense. The culture might shift from emerging-types in flannel shirts and jeans to deacons in green sport coats with checkered pants, but the service is just as scripted and just as regular week-to-week. Just check how many people start looking at their watches, putting away their Bibles, arranging their personal stuff, etc., if the sermon goes 5 minutes over, or if the worship leader adds the 3rd stanza of a hymn that is normally skipped.

19. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. We are not on the second timed, but the worship leaders know that there is a time that we need to get to preaching. There is a time when I know that unless we end the sermon so we can enjoy the fellowship and reminder around the Lord's Supper or so we can end the service in time for Bible study to begin or so that the children's workers (one of whom is my wife) don't storm the auditorium with all the children in tow.

There really sin't a problem with timing out a service. Like glfrederick stated we all do it, but with some it is written down... the rest use the unwritten rules of timing.

With that said, I believe if we are not careful, we can schedule the Holy Spirit right out of our services.

20. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

In our area the people are easy to find. I don't know how to describe them to you but it definitly a specific personality trait. The time is pretty predictable. AFrom to 3 years with 3 years being the exception. Then they are off to find another "wonderful church".