1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Part 2: OK... I still have these nagging questions:

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

We begin with Lacy's last two posts:

First prove that statement with Scripture *(Preferrably Pauline )

Quote:
    But rather I seek the things of the kingdom of God as opposed to the things of this world. I believe that is the meaning behind the verse. As is said elsewhere:
    Colossians 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Next explain this passage.

Matthew 28:19-20
    19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. [/QUOTE]

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I saw this quoted in the other thread, and I find it so repugnant I can't help but respond:

Your doctrine releases them from bondage for only a split second (if that much). Once their spirit is saved (according to ME), the doctrine demands that they must immediately focus on working hard enough to avoid hell for 1,000 years.

Worse, there is no meritorious yardstick. Since you draw your entire doctrine from inference and symbolism, it goes without saying that there be nothing in Bible that tells you what you must do go avoid hell, what you must do to earn the lowliest job in the kingdom, what you must do to earn the right to rule in the kingdom, etc. So you just have to do your best (out of fear) and hope you avoid the worst.

This not only makes God a cruel liar, makes Christ's blood insufficient, but it makes God a god of confusion who threatens his children with 1,000 years in hell but is unwilling or unable to explain to his children exactly what they must do to avoid it.

The ME doctrine is so full of "fail", it's pathetic. Better to leave the Catholics alone. They're better off without you.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Amen! ........:godisgood: and :jesus: saves completely!

4. Accountable

Accountable New Member

So you would rather they go to hell and then be transfered to the Lake of FIre?
    My what an Evil thought this little angry beaver has.
    You want to slander me, then wish all the Catholics to the Lake of Fire.

Want to rethink that?

5. standingfirminChrist

If one is trying to convert a person to follow a christ who will cast His own away into outer darkness or hell, one is leading that one blindly.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Can anyone imagine what it might be like to ask an ME advocate to give a euology or speak at a funeral? If they're honest, what can they say? That they are confident the deceased is not going to spend 1,000 years in hell -- why? How would they know what secret unconfessed sins the person had in his heart?

Gosh, I'd love to comfort the widow, but the fact is that the Bible doesn't give me any guidelines as to whether I can know if the person is headed for 1,000 years of hell or not. Too bad the blood of Christ doesn't cover anything the person does after his "spirit salvation". Thems the breaks.

7. Mike Berzins

Mike Berzins New Member

Does the bible baptist board condone taking the Lord's name in vain?

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    gosh –interjection
    (used as an exclamation or mild oath): Gosh, this bag is heavy!
    [Origin: 1750–60; euphemistic alter. of God]
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Oh, I get it now. Another ME/legalist. Another for the ignore list.

Mods, feel free to change "Gosh" to some nondescript expression or delete it altogether. I wouldn't want to offend the virgin ears of ME advocates with an expression that was created in order to AVOID taking the Lord's name in vain.

#8 npetreley, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2007
  9. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Picture a family reunion where your sister has just gotten married to a man who has a 7 year old boy. The child is pulling girls hair and putting frogs in the chili and just being an overall nuisance. You keep looking at his father and his mother who are watching him do these things and you're just amazed that they're not taking the boy out behind the barn. You want to do something yourself or tell the parents to do something but it's so awkward because the parents aren't really big fans of yours and they kind of think the chili can use a little amphibian juice. If you catch a glimpse of what I'm describing, then you'll begin to understand angry beavers on the Baptist Board.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Golly"... :BangHead:

It's not taking the Lord's name in vain. Can you supply the Hebrew or Greek for "gosh"?

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

We may disagree on many things, web, but I always love ya.

:laugh::laugh:

But seriously, can anyone imagine what it might be like to ask an ME advocate to give a euology or speak at a funeral? If they're honest, what can they say? That they are confident the deceased is not going to spend 1,000 years in hell -- why? How would they know what secret unconfessed sins the person had in his heart?

I'd love to comfort the widow, but the fact is that the Bible doesn't give me any guidelines as to whether I can know if the person is headed for 1,000 years of hell or not. Too bad the blood of Christ doesn't cover anything the person does after his "spirit salvation". Thems the breaks.

12. Mike Berzins

Mike Berzins New Member

Just because the culture has decayed to such a point that using God's name in vain is commonplace, (whether outright or by euphemism) does not give us an excuse to sin.

Since you are not a "legalist" are there any other of the ten commandments that you think Christian's should be silent about when they are being broken?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

More accurately you would have to say "at this very moment our loved one is with the Lord. All of that will most likely change upon resurrection depending on how many sins were unconfessed...but anyway, be comforted to know that NOW our brother / sister is with the Lord..."

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can YOU supply the hebrew or greek for "gosh" or "golly" showing these are the Lord's names? If not...:wavey:

15. Mike Berzins

Mike Berzins New Member

Golly is blasphemy as well. You might want to learn English before you attempt Greek or Hebrew.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh: You're a riot!

blas·phe·my

[SIZE=-1]NOUN: [/SIZE]
    pl. [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]blas·phe·mies[/SIZE][/FONT]
      1. <LI type=a>A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.
      2. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
    1. An irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct.

#16 webdog, Aug 22, 2007
  17. Accountable

Accountable New Member

I have given you my testimony of salvation at least twiced. Both times I asked you if it is unbiblical. You gave no response.
    I'll give you another chance to give a responsible answer instead of casting stones.

Here is what one must believe to be saved:

1. He is a sinner.
    2. There is a penalty for sin, death.
    3. Jesus died for us in while we were yet sinners.
    4. Believe that Jesus died for you, was buried, rose again on the third day, and was seen of many.

Where is the problem? How am I blindly leading them to Christ?

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

For God so loved your husband that He will torture him in hell for 1,000 years to teach him a lesson...

19. Mike Berzins

Mike Berzins New Member

God is not mocked. And he is not stupid. Just because you shorten or slightly modify his name, and then use it in the exact same way someone uses the Lord's name in vain, do you really think God will give his stamp of approval to such speech? Why do you suppose all the euphemisms start with a hard G or a J sound?

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

gee whiz...when's it going to end?

Am I allowed to still say "rats" and "phooey"?

#20 webdog, Aug 22, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.