Parting Suggestions

Discussion in 'Member Questions, Feedback & Suggestions' started by Martin Marprelate, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate
    Expand Collapse

I am forsaking Wink the Baptist Board, at least for a while (don't all cheer at once!).
    I departed once before for two years because the threads were getting too aggressive, but things seemed to have got better on my return. At the present time, however, I'm having to scroll down page after page of invective and accusation in order to find something worth commenting on.

I am all for rigorous debate, but the mods need to keep much better order than they do at present. Here are some suggestions.
    1. No one should be allowed to call someone else a liar. Anyone doing so should be cautioned, then suspended for a time, and if he persists, banned. In the British Parliament (I expect it's the same in the Senate and Congress), everyone is called 'The honourable gentleman/lady' and when they lie they are told that they are 'not correct' or 'not being factual' or making 'a terminological inexactitude' (yes, really!). That is what should happen here. If someone is lying egregiously, the post should be reported and the Mods should take action.

2. The Admin should draw up a list of heretical doctrines and ban anyone from promoting them.. Then, no one should be allowed to use the term 'borderline heresy,' even if he thinks it applies. Think of a friendlier term to use. 'Incorrect' works for me; it's just a little bit nicer than 'wrong.' If someone does post something heretical, report the post.

3. Threads should be closed much more quickly when they degenerate into name-calling and offensive posts deleted.

4. I don't think it is wise for moderators to be involved in heated debate. The other mods may be intimidated from calling them to order.

5. I suggested earlier that the negative ratings should be dropped. I still think so, with the possible exception of the 'disagree' rating. Even then, it should be a requirement for the one who disagrees to state the area of disagreement. It really isn't conducive to a friendly atmosphere for people to be posting 'dumb' and 'dislike' on almost every post some people make. As I said before, it's a form of bullying.

I believe this board can be a great force for good, but at the present time I wouldn't advise anyone from my church to join. The atmosphere is sometimes definitely un-Christian. Brothers, these things ought not to be.

Finally, members may feel that I have fallen short of the standards that I am proposing. If that is the case, I can only ask for their forgiveness.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW
    Expand Collapse

Farewell, Martin. Though I imagine we may not agree on everything, I have enjoyed your posts and have usually found them informative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to see you go. I personally do not see a forum as a great force for good. I think people place to much energy and emotion into what gets posted here. No truth gets established by anyone's post. Every post is simply one's personal view on the matter. If we get a personal benefit out of it then it can be a good thing for us. If we do not then maybe it is better to find something else to do.

People think too much of their posts and too much of other posts. In other words people take themselves way to seriously. Relax, have fun, be encouraged and get over it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. InTheLight

InTheLight
    Expand Collapse

Martin, sorry to see you go. Your posts were thoughtful, well constructed, and effectively written. We didn't always agree but I respect your positions and the general good will in which they were posted. God bless you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. robustheologian

robustheologian
    Expand Collapse

I agree with all your points...been contemplating the same. God be with you brother and have a Happy New Year.

6. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph
    Expand Collapse

Farewell brother!

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate
    Expand Collapse

Members will observe that I have returned to the Board rather more quickly than I had intended. I don't intend for this to be permanent, but whatever happens, I stand by the 5 points of the O.P. and very much hope that the Mods will put them into action.

• Like Like x 1
  8. agedman

agedman
    Expand Collapse

I have made a few of the same types of suggestions, also.

I don't mind a moderator commenting, and even participating in debate.

We get to know a bit more about them and I appreciate their willingness to write in a vulnerable way.

However, a moderator needs to remember to step back from a discussion when shamefulness is displayed, put on the moderator hat and call attention to what is appropriate and inappropriate. Never should they engage in the shamefulness.

Glad your back, Martin.

I don't know if you know, but back in 1856 a Senator (Preston Brooks) beat another Senator (Andrew Butler) with a cane. So severe was the beating that Butler couldn't serve for three years.

We folks across the puddle tend to get a bit more rowdy and less polite when talking politics.

Now, I'm a Texan, and there just isn't anything like Texas anywhere in the world. Some of my Yankee friends would say "Thank God for that!" That usually is enough to stir up a bit of dust. :)