1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Passage help

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, May 26, 2010.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am looking for a passage in the OT to give some clear clarification to a passage in REV 20:13
    My understanding of the passage is that at the judgment the lost will be raised and given back a body that cannot perish. They will then be cast into the lake of fire. Using the KJV where it says:
    death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them:

My understanding is that the word death is a synonym for the grave where the body lies and the word hell is a synonym for the place where the lost souls are being held after death of the body until the judgment. Both will be reunited and then sent to the lake of fire at the judgement.

I have read in the past in the OT where this is better explained and I would like to have the passage at hand, so if anyone can help I would appreciate it. I already have plenty of NT passages that make this clear, I would just like to find the passage in the OT that seals this understanding. Thanks.

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I could not think of anything in the OT, but these verses from St. John's gospel immediately came to my mind when I read your post.

John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
    26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
    27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
    28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
    29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.