1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Passion about the Passion

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Feb 25, 2004.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I just got to thinking and posted in another thread that what is really sad is the division this has caused.

I have tried not to make any personal attacks on the issue. If I have I apologise. Accusations have been flying, it was even mentioned that those who do not support the film have our God in a "tiny box."

If you support the film and want to go see it that is your privilege and you have every right to express your opinion on the issue. On the other hand those of us who disagree with the whole principle should be allowed to do so and not be criticised for choosing not to go and expressing our own views.

We need not resort to personal attacks or questioning spirituality. "Let every man be fully convinced in his own mind."

2. firedome

firedome New Member

AMEN and AMEN!

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, in the final analysis it is just a movie. But I think we can all agree that anything that gets average people to think about Jesus' sacrifice has got to be more good than bad.

4. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Independent thinking is sadly lacking in the church, but not just Christian church.

Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, Evolutionists, New Agers, so many people follow the leaders of their particular belief system--follow unquestioningly, blindly obediently, passively.

If everyone was against THE PASSION, that would not make me happy. But why not question things?

I just want us to think a bit about Biblical accuracy (is it really important in films and sermons?--how these folks rail against Joyce Meyers and Benny Hinn, but not Mel).

And is it reverent to depict explicitly what Mel and Anne Catherine Emmerich IMAGINE were the agonies of Jesus--with no context of why these were inflicted, and no real focus on Resurrection?

5. Forever settled in heaven

i'm not at all sad ... it's been a useful dividing line exposing those who side w sola scriptura n those who don't.

never thought there wld be such a division among Baptists, but i guess the results speak for themselves in these times.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

vaspers,

Your views are well known. This is meant to be a "reconciliation" thread.

Roger

7. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I don't think this has anything to do with sola scriptura. Nobody gets up in arms about division and Biblical accuracy and Biblical authority when someone puts on a live Nativity or a Christmas concert. No one condemned Christian authors and preachers for supporting Heston's "The Ten Commandments" despite being a visual depiction, complete with "extra-Biblicial inaccuracies" of a particular area of scripture.

8. vaspers

vaspers New Member

There is good divisiveness and bad divisiveness.

Jesus separates the sheep from the goats, followers from Pharisees.

Advocating or not advocating THE PASSION is not a crucial test of spirituality.

Loving Jesus and defending His dignity and honor and message is what's really important.

While I think this film is severely irreverent and dishonestly inaccurate, other opinions exist and we need open debate and variety of thought, much more than dictatorial views of either persuasion.

Think what you want--but please think.
    And please compare EVERYTHING, including my opinions, with SCRIPTURE. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

That is the point of this thread.

10. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Gotcha Christ4Kildare.

Sorry if I was off track. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. firedome

firedome New Member

Removed due to material not matching the subject.

Maranatha,
    Rodney

[ February 25, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: firedome ]

12. vaspers

vaspers New Member

I'm sorry firedome, I usually understand you quite clearly, but this post, I don't get. I know very little about people who tout this film. And vice versa. So I cannot comment.

We are to think similarly about the Word of God, but may have different opinions about certain leaders and groups. If not, cults would flourish.

My experience on Baptist Board is overwhelmingly positive. It allows very open and free debates within limits of decency and etiquette.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Edited to reflect response

14. firedome

firedome New Member

C4K,

I agree. I apologize to any and all if I have offended them. As a result I have removed the text of the post.

Maranatha,
    Rodney