1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'PASSION OF THE CHRIST' will top the box office

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by indigonorthpa, Feb 12, 2004.

1. indigonorthpa

indigonorthpa New Member

This is going to be a seminal event in evangelism and I was hoping you could get some people from your church out with tracts and Bibles at the movie theaters. We're contacting churches around the world and we need help in getting street teams out there.

Billy Graham cried when he saw this movie and it could impact the world as much as Hollywood movies killed our zeal for the Lord. There has never been a better time to trigger a national revival.

Please help us fulfill the Great Commission here in America. Please head to the movie complexes and hand out flyers or tracts and let people know about this film. If the movie does well here, it will catch fire across the world.

GET UP OFF YOUR CHAIRS AND SUPPORT 'PASSION'.

Passion Of the Christ Webpage

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sorry, don't think I can evangelically assist in the promotion of a Hollywood movie produced by a man who thinks that all those outside the Catholic church are unsaved.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So does that mean I should never see a Mel Gibson movie again? Should I burn my DVD of "The Patriot"? C'mon, it's MOOOO - VIE!!!!!!! He's a ACCCCC - TORRRRR!!!!! There are plenty of folks on this board who don't think Mel is saved, or for that matter, don't think I'm saved, but I'd go see their movies if they made one.

Personally, I think turning it into an evangelism event is a bit overkill. But my church did get group tickets, and I will be seeing it on opening weekend.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

C'mon John. Did I say don't go see it? Did I say I wouldn't go see it? Nope, just that I'm not jumping on the bandwagon to try and promote it as an evangelistic tool.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

On that point, I'm in agreement with you. I'm sure it will do well, because it's a movie many want to see. If folks intend to use it as a tool for evangelism, more power to them. That's simply not my thing, and I don't plan, as you say, hopping on that bandwagon.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I wonder what would happen if God's people were as passionate about presenting the gospel as they are about promoting this movie?

God can use anything, even a Hollywood movie, but He doesn't need them. His Word is all He needs.

7. gobluenc39

gobluenc39 Guest

i seen this movie , we was allowed because my company gave a donation

this movie will sale out everywhere when it opens on the 25th

its rated r and very violent,i cried more than once, very moving
    its based on jesus last 24 hours
    my gibson is a catholic but this is about jesus and go see it you will never forget it i promise

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the two-hour interview with Gibson on ETWN (Catholic network) they showed many clips. Very intense and moving.

Elevated Mary (of course) which was sad. I shall not attend the movie theater but truly wish I could in this case. Don't think the video will do justice that the big screen will.

9. mioque

mioque New Member

"Elevated Mary (of course) which was sad."
    Theologically? Yes very!
    From a purely moviemaking standpoint?
    Possibly less so.
    It would be interesting if a Southern Baptist equivalent of Mel Gibson would crawl out of the woodwork and make basically the same film from a baptist viewpoint.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm gonna post this till I'm blue in the face---

Gibson's movie is just that! A movie! Its probably got some truth in it---but the deadly thing is---whatever truth is there--is mixed with Roman Catholic error!

Personally I don't see all the "Hoop-La" being made over the film as being any more evangelistic than any other film ---- like Charleston Heaston's Ben Hur and Ten Commandments!

"Well, it made Billy Graham cry!! What about that???"

Well, I'm sure that Billy has done some things himself that caused Ruth Bell to cry on occasion!

As you can see--I'm not too overly fond of the movie---but that's just me---I am the Captain of my own ship and usually find myself sailing alone lots of times!!!

11. gobluenc39

gobluenc39 Guest

As you can see--I'm not too overly fond of the movie

blackbird is this because you dont care what he suffered for us

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    mioque said:

Which Baptist viewpoint&gt; :D

Probably would be as inane as the "Left Behind" novels. Yawn.

No. Wait. Jerry Falwell could do it and cast Bill Clinton as either Judas or Pilate.

This is not, to my thinking, in any way comparable to "Ben Hur" or "The Ten Commandments," both of which grafted a biblical story onto a pot-boiler.

"Jesus of Nazareth" is still the best, by far, movie retelling. Some license there, but not much, although there were a few times I wanted to reach into the screen and pull out some more context.

13. gobluenc39

gobluenc39 Guest

rsr

is that a atheist view from you

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

rsr---you mean, you mean, you mean . . . Mr. NRA(Heston) didn't leave an impression on you???? :eek:

And gobluenc----ohhhhh, dear sir----yes----God's blood was shed for me---and on the cross in a finite period of time the Lord Jesus Christ endured all of the Hell I would have had to endure over an infinite period of time! Imagine that?? The Infinite dying for the Finite!!

No movie in man's vile imagination can come close to capturing what God was doing there at the cross! You see, Mel can only film the physical side of the sufferings---but the spiritual side is reserved for viewing by obedient, Spirit filled Believers who want to "plum the depths of God's soul"---to see what God was doing to God there at the Cross!

Calvary---Where God did His best, and man did his worst!!

Your buddy,
    Blackbird

15. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it's a cool movie. But don't try to find all the subplots in the Bible.

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

You mean---there are subplots that Blackbird would have to pay attention to??? Any "sub-linial" messages you picked up on???

17. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    to gobluenc39:

To answer your question in any detail would be to grant your comment far more dignity than it deserves. It makes no sense and I will not waste time trying to make sense where it doesn't exist.

18. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blackbird:

No, no sub-limial messages (hmm, maybe, but not sure) but the whole love story thing with Pharoah's wife, the grasping Hebrew who turns the nation to calf worship while Moses is up on the mountain, etc.

Good movie, good storytelling. Just not the story that's in the Bible.

19. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I haven't seen it yet. how does it differ from the Passion in the Bible?

20. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Try not to scare people off, eh? Try to be smart with how you're doing your evangelism. Like door knockers? That's probably going too far, more people would be turned off by that.