1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Passion Poll

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Larry, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

For those who have seen the movie, would you please post what you expected when you entered and what you walked away with?

PLEASE no comments from the peanut gallery! I’m not looking for dialogue, I just want to see people’s comments and I will take them at face value.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Larry, I would have to give two completely different answers.

I went with a chosen group from our church on Monday knowing that I was there to help decide if we should recommend this for our membership. Also, I had read a lot of derogatory remarks about the movie here on the board. My first viewing was forced, by that criteria, to be more of a 'student' type viewing. I tried to not let emotion cover up any 'wrong doctrine'.

I went again last night with my best friend from church. Jennie and I are prayer partners and one in the Spirit. I went knowing we could share and appreciate this movie of one accord. I went, last night, with no emotional restraints.

I expected horrid scenes. I've read the medical doctor's accounts of what actually was endured by Christ so I knew how horrible it had to be.

I expected to have my heart broken over what I viewed. I expected to be touched by this.

The scenes were horrible but kept right to what I had read. I was surprised that the nails were driven through the palm of the hand, tho, instead of above the wrist bone.

My heart was broken beyond belief. I was touched beyond any expectation. My feeling of unworthiness and yet of being so loved by Christ is something I cannot express with mere words.

This movie has touched me so and I've been re-reading the gospels this week with a new 'eye'. Some information I've seen on devotional sites pointed out that Jesus had to carry his cross 6 miles and that the weight of the cross was extreme even for a man who had not been beaten.

I don't think I'll ever be able to take communion again without a greater appreciation for what He endured for ME!

When tickets are available, I'm gong again but with my husband.

Diane

3. uhdum

uhdum New Member

I expected a life-changing experience because of all that I had heard about it (especially from some close to me that had seen it).

Sure enough, what I saw I will never forget. We all know that this film can never take the place of the Scriptures, nor do I want it do. But this film did a remarkable job of making the whole story seem so alive. I was thinking, "This is what Jesus really went through."

One thing that touched me was that every choice Gibson made in the film's production (e.g. the language, location, actors, and camera work) were top-notch. The film didn't look like a 25 million dollar production; it looked like much more. Mel had some top-notch crew members working on this project, and all simply added to the realism.

I admit that the part that changed me the most was when the thief on the cross struggled with every breath to say, "Lord, I only ask that you remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus, bloodied and about to die, raises his head as much as he could and slowly uttered the words, "Amen, you will be with me today in paradise." I was like, "Wow!" For when I read this passage over and over, I tend to forget how horribly beaten Jesus was and imagine him as just quickly saying the words to him. No, Jesus, even in his last moments, as a broken, bloodied man, cares about people and shows his unconditional love for this man.

So, in other words, I expected a phenomenal event; I got one.