1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastor/Deacon Study question

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by JoeKan, Nov 12, 2016.

1. JoeKan

JoeKan Member

Hello,
    I am wanting to start a study with our deacons about going deeper in our walk and service to the Lord. I'm needing some suggestions if you all may know of a good book with study guide. (I know the Bible is the best book). I was thinking of something like "The Man in The Mirror" or something like that.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks for any help,
    Joe

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about having a Bible Study about the Biblical role of Deacons.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you the pastor? If so, why are you asking us for something you should already know?

If not, why are you going to being doing a study with the deacons?

4. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you really just say that? It was an honest question, I have never known a Pastor that new everything but have known a few that thought they did. They seemed to move around a lot too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I did. I seldom say things I don't say.

Yes, it was. If you are a pastor, and depending on your level of education and experience, my recommendations would be quite different than if you were a layman wanting to teach the deacons.

I wouldn't know. I don't know how much you know or what experience you have if you won't tell me. :)

I don't move much at all any more. I am over 70 with a course of relapsing/remitting multiple sclerosis so I sit a lot more than I move around.

However, after being called to be the senior pastor of our former church in San Diego I was there for almost 27 years. And was 25 years teaching at the same seminary. So, even when I could move, I didn't.

In my 40+ years of ministry I have only served in 5 churches.

Assistant Pastor, Youth Ministries. 1974-1980

Associate Pastor, Military Ministry. 1981-1984

Assistant Pastor, Church Administration. 1984-1985

Senior Pastor. 1985-2012

Pastor for Senior Saints. 2012-Present (My "retirement" job :D )

I sure hope that is okay with you. I would hate to have to start over again.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Start them with the Basics. Prayer is always the best place to start. Here is a link to a great study. If they get their prayer lives straight and it becomes an important part of the culture of the church then the deeper walk will automatically follow.

http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/files/lwcF_PDF_PrayerMeetingGuide_Franklin.pdf

Ignore any caustic responses in this thread. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

At our church, our pastors and deacons took about a year to go through some systematic theology books and did 10 units on the different doctrines. I heard it was excellent!

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did. Honestly the whole thing seem to keep their attention, the problem though was when you ask them to actually expect them to put it into practice.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. JoeKan

JoeKan Member

Ok, thanks for all the help and advice. Rev. Mitchell, I'll look into that study, looks good. Mr. Cassidy, I've been pastoring for 20 years now but am always looking for fresh ideas from my brothers in the ministry.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are fine asking questions here ignore the negative nellies.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy the grammar in that was terrible. Need to proof my work, I do.

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent. Thank you for that information. As a pastor I would recommend a different approach than I would for a layman.

Depending on how you view the ministry of deacons, there are a couple good resources available.

If you see deacons as an extension of the ministry of pastoral care I would recommend the material available from LifeWay. http://www.lifeway.com/Article/pastoral-care-focused-deacon-ministry

There is also a good training guide for deacons at http://vbmb-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Deacon-Training.pdf

There is also some good materials available at http://www.bcpusa.org/wp-content/uploads/Deacons-Training-Manual-for-web-with-watermark.pdf

But even though there is some good material in the last one, be aware the author takes a more limited view of the role of deacons in a Baptist church.

But all in all that should give you a good place to start. I made it a point to instruct my deacons in what God expected of them and what I expected of them. Then worked on ways to make it all work.

Keep us posted on how it works out for you. :)

14. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Happens to all of us. You communicated clearly enough. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to provide our chair of deacons with the information.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Start out with JI Packer Knowing God, then graduate into something like abridged versions of either Dr Grudem or Erickson Systematic Theolgy...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Johnf

Johnf Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We just finished this study. Our church is small, about 125 Sunday school attendance. Our deacons are all in their 70's and up and the church is looking for new men to step in. The younger generation 30-60 was invited to go through the study with the current deacon board. We have just hired a pastor after 10 months of searching and according to our bylaws only the pastor can recommend new deacons. There is a DVD that goes along with the study that I would recommend getting

http://www.lifeway.com/Product/the-deacon-i-want-to-be-learner-manual-P005201386

You don't learn if you don't ask questions. If you don't want to learn any longer, you should probably just stop.

17. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I did not mean just because a Pastor moved often that it was a bad thing. If God wants you to move, then you better move. Often though, pastors move to "greener pastures" and forget to check with God if that is the pasture they should be in.
    It seems you have done well, but I am not the one you will need to hear that from. I pray that we both hear that from Him.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I liked this one:
    http://www.zondervan.com/the-complete-green-letters

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whenever my students asked me how to know when it is time to move on I would always tell them three things:

1. Stay where you are until you are convicted that to stay one more day would be a sin.

2. If you are in the will of God where you are, why leave and go somewhere you wouldn't be sure?

3. If you are in a subordinate position stay where you are until you have your pastor's blessing to move on.