1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor Fired For Plagerizing Sermons

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Major B, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Warren for the most part gives away the outlines for the sermon, although you can listen to a sermon based on that outline. I haven't used his stuff before and can't ever remember hearing him speak....is it any good.

2. scubablt

scubablt New Member

About R. Warren's Material... YES, it is very good. He is one of the best in teaching how and actually taking the biblical text and giving some application for today's world and life! In other words, what did the Bible say then, and how does that apply today and how does it help "Me today?" He beleives that real preaching has NOt taken place until the preacher helps make application for today... and I agree! People need to know how and see how the Bible can make a relevant difference in theri life... and that is done via application. It is letting the text come alive!

He is the author of such books as "Purpose Driven Church" and the more recent "Purpose Driven Life" that has been on the NY best seller's list for months! It is one of the TOP selling books in its category of ALL TIMES. He developed the current very successful "40 Days of Purpose" spiritaul Growth Campaigns, and he also does the PDC seminars, and humbly says taht anyone is free to use any of his stuff any time. If you go to his website, www.purposedriven.com, it tells all about it. There is a charge for ordering or downloading his materail, but it is really good stuff and affordable. I have attended his seminars and it truly did change my life, ministry (as a pastor) and my personal outlook on ministry.

God Bless, BLT

3. scubablt

scubablt New Member

I am shocked that this poor man's church made such a public spectacle out of this event. That did not do anyone any good at all! NOT AT ALL! They hurt him, the church, and the overall cause of Christ. They did not do it according to Scripture at all, as far as I am concerned!
    I, too, cannot believe they kicked him out of the church for it! I think: (1) They were looking for some reason to get rid of him (due to other personalty conflicts, problems, etc.), or (2) He was wanting out and used this to get out. It just smells fishy to me, as a,, pastors use other meterials in some way or the other from time to time! BLT :(

4. Todd

Todd New Member

Things like what happened with this brother at Calvary Church just provide further proof that topical preaching will not do if a Pastor is looking to establish a long-term preaching ministry. Not only will the preacher run out of "fresh ideas" after a while (as this preacher admitted), but topical preaching neglects the careful exegesis and exposition of the Word. Topical preaching is grounded much more in the preacher than in the Word of God - rather than relying for God's Word to give us our outlines, we begin to rely on ourselves.

What's amazing to me is the number of preachers who say that they are expositors of the Word, yet in reality they preach topical message 75% of the time. Preachers, why don't we just spend time asking God to show us some Bible book that He would lead us to preach then do verse by verse exposition week in and week out? Now I'm not saying that there may never be an occasion where a man of God may feel led to break away from an expositional series to preach some particular topic - God has a way of interrupting our plans like that from time to time. Yet, consistent Bible exposition would allow us to spend more time studying God's Word because we wouldn't be searching everywhere under the sun to determine what passages we're going to preach, what pithy comments we're going to use, etc. It's time we returned to the clear exegesis and exposition of God's Word, looking unto Jesus as our example (cf. Lk. 24:27).

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Doing a great job on a topic requires an incredible amount of time if it is to be well done. For example if you did some sermons on hell including gehenna, sheol and hades it would require a lot more background research then just opening the Bible to a few verses. If one were to do a series of sermons on having sex before marriage using scripture and apolegetics it would include things like how that activity affects the brain permanently, how it affects people hormonealy, how it affects people psychologically, and what God says about it. Preachers so often think that topical sermons are easy. If they are done thoroughly they require a lot of study.

John Stott does a topical sermon once a quarter. He gets together a team to discuss the issue and has the team advise him. I did that some when I was pastoring, It helped a lot. It gave some powerful sermons too. I addressed things that I never thought of because of the people on the team.

The problem lies when preachers get lazy and just open the Bible to a few verses that use the word and then talk about it out of context using those few verses. I would bet that if you did a topical sermon on how gehenna, hades and sheol fit together you would be studying for awhile. It would take you a long time if you researched the words used for pastor such as poimen, presbuteros, and episkopos. You would have enough to take you a long time. If your research took you back into the beginning of the OT, through the intertestamental period and ending up past the NT you would get an accurate assesssment of how those words were used in society and by other groups. You would also see the origin of them and how they were used.

6. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

THIS IS DISQUSTING !! PLEASE PLEASE if you ever hear of any one using one of my famous sermons, "God's Three Deadlines" or "Pay Day Someday" or "Fresh Oil" let me know....I'll sue.

7. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Never heard of 'em.

8. BroCR Mixon

BroCR Mixon New Member

Shilo I haven't used any of your sermons yet but would you be kind enough to send me a copy of outlines and manuscripts
    My wife saidi if someone copies some of my material they are in BAD shape

9. Ethan Cook

Ethan Cook New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am bring this post back to life. I noticed my pastor's sermon's sounded to good and used words he, just does not use. I finally took the time to look up his sermon and quickly found the 2 commentaries he used for his sermon. He quotes the same quotes from those commentaries and a majority of the outlines were the same.

i was bothered by it and brushed it off as a "one time thing"

Because of Covid-19 we couldn't have a Christmas eve service so we decided to pre-record the Christmas eve message on video and then post it Christmas eve. While I was doing the video recording I noticed instantly that he was just reading something that clearly was not his as it didn't look like he had read it more than 1 time previously.

Later that night it couldn't get it out of my head so I googled one of the phrases he said that i knew couldn't be his. (i have my master's in Theological studies, he took 1 year at a bible college and didn't finish, this is not a stab at his education, but i don't talk with these big word and I have my masters in theology... No way this guy uses these theological words.)

So I immediately found the sermon on sermon central, went through it and he skipped 2 paragraphs out of the original sermon but read WORD FOR WORD over 800 words. I couldn't get it out of my head and I am still dumbfounded that a pastor who gets paid would dare do such. No mention of where he got it. And in the same video i find out that he also plagirazed the advent devotional to open the message up from... BILLY GRAHM :(

I decided again to research his sermon from last sunday.... I immediately found the 2 commentaries again and even found the closing story word for word from a sermon on sermon central with the same sermon title. No credit, no mention of it.

Anyone else have these horrible issues come up recently?

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This zombie thread is closed.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either you dont really know what expository preaching is or you are being rather over biased against topical preaching based on personal preference.

Even topical sermons can be preached expositorily and always should. Critism of topicals always gets exaggerated.

12. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's kind of iffy I guess. For example, I have permission to use hundreds of Sermons from an Evangelist most people would immediately recognize. Permission to use word for word with no credit or citation. Never have done it though.

13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.