1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor Hijacks Hymnal

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Gib, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Gib

Gib Active Member

On Sunday mornings my hymnal has been made ready for the service. The hymns have been tabbed in order. My bulletin is in there. It's usually marked up where changes have been made for various reasons. Announcements scribbled out that have been given to me are stuffed in there. It's my playbook and I'd be lost without it and all it's contents.

Yesterday I lost my hymnal somewhere between the choir's call to worship and the welcome hymn. I realized this when it was my turn to give announcements. I'm sure I looked dazed and bewildered. I quickly walked over to the pastor and asked if he had picked it up. He looked and said no. I turned to congregation and rambled off the announcements from memory.

I tried to make light of the issue and asked the congregation if they could tell me what hymn number the next song was. An usher barked out the hymn number as he walked down a brand new bulletin for me. It was unintentional humor and everyone laughed at my expense. You have to understand I'm famous for losing my hymnal, my mind and other things I need. Somehow I lost a wireless mic during a service.

Anyways, pastor comes to me this morning with my hymnal. I asked where was it. He shook his head and raised his eyebrows. He picked it up between the call to worship and welcome hymn. He realized it during the offertory. He said he felt horrible about it but it was too late to give it back. We had a good laugh this morning. My pastor is awesome.

#1 Gib, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - Too funny! Isn't it weird how stuck we get on our notes sometimes? Our church is looking to switch this week from printed song sheets for the worship team to a confidence monitor in the back of the sanctuary. It's meaning quite a bit more work for me as the person who sets up the computer to make sure it will work well for the worship team but my daughter who leads worship at our separate campus sometimes said that she writes notes on her songsheets and will never want the confidence monitor! It would just be redundant because she's never giving up her notes!! :)

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I got to church yesterday morning (I'm about 20-25 minutes away) to practice with the praise band. We practice from 8:00-8:50 for both services.

I got there and lo and behold - NO MUSIC! It was like a nightmare. I realized as I sat at the piano and the guitarists and drummer and choir director were ready that I had taken my music home Wednesday night and left it there. (That's something I rarely do.)

There was no time to go back and get it, so the choir director went and made copies of his. He was in a big hurry.

He copied some pages out of order (using two sides) and hole punched everything on the wrong side.

I never told him. I was too embarrassed and freaked out about my leaving mine at home. I ALWAYS had a phobia about that.

I hate it when things like that happen.

4. Gib

Gib Active Member

Years ago, our pianist took a perfectly good hymnal and tore the pages from the hard back cover. She has notes written and markings on page after page from our many convos. She often comes in and instead of saying good morning, she goes right for "So, how we doing it today?" Someone saw here tattered hymnal and asked if the church needed to provide her with another. Of course she said no because it's taken her 10+ years to get it just the way she likes it.

I often have the dream it's my first Sunday as the new choir director at some random church. I'm about 10 minutes late and everyone's waiting on me to get started. And I haven't even met with the choir yet. I'm scrambling to find something to sing.

So, all you Dr. Freuds, what's that all about? :eek: