1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor on trial for refusal to work with female minister

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Nov 4, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

2. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wouldn't happen in USA, at least not yet. None of big brothers business.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See what you get when you mix government and church!!? If ever there was a lesson on the dangers of "Faith Based" government programs this is it! You are either uninformed or a fool if you think the money you receive from any government does't come with strings.
    This pastor is in my opinion trying to have it both ways. He will take the check for being a pastor but then wants to make up his own rules/ job description...sorry Charlie it doesn't work that way. If you believe women shouldn't be pastor's don't take the check in the first place. If the denomination moved from where they originally started - quit and move on.

BTW - I think women should be encouraged to serve as pastors

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Glad to see you agree with separatio of Church & State

5. Joe

Joe New Member

I believe I read here on the BB that one US church almost lost it's non-profit tax status due to a Pastor's recommendation to his congregation regarding voting for a certain candidate. I might be wrong

6. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

In it's proper context, I do.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would that context be?

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Not yet" is your key phrase.

It's being nibbled around the edges and will one day happen. It may not be as far off as one would think.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you provide any examples of said nibbling?

10. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

11. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I don't know where it started, but how can you equate the riddance of God in public schools as part of the first amendment? How can teaching and reading from the Bible be construed as establishing a national religion by Congressional decree? nibble

Good News Clubs, part of the Child Evangelism Fellowship, is not permitted to meet in public schools, (at least in our area) but instead must meet off campus, to avoid the perceived conflict with 1st Amendment, effectively eliminating much valuable story time. nibble

The intent of the 1st amendment has been so twisted as to erect this wall of separation that was never intended. It has become a tool for secular humanism's huge rise in public schools.

The ACLU and others, have used the distortion of the first amendment to in fact install the religion of secular humanism.

#11 hillclimber1, Nov 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2007
  12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Freedom must be for everyone or it is not freedom. You don't think the majority should override the minority in the area of religious belief do you? That would disturbing especially for someone on a Baptist message board.

I not sure what you mean when you say God is not in the public schools and question your clarity of thinking when you say reading and teaching from the Bible doesn't constitute religion at least of some kind. Where you referencing teaching the Bible as a literature class?

Good News Clubs are not allowed, but then again neither are the Young Satanists so I'm not sure that is such a bad thing

Concerning the so called "twisting" of the First Amendment - THANK THE LORD!

Perhaps if you read someone other then David Barton and listened to someone other then James Dobson you would have more clairty on this issue because on this issue (among others) they are flat out wrong.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most recently, attempts to pass hate crimes legislation.

One of the possible consequences of which could be making it a crime for a pastor to preach a sermon condemning the sin of homosexual acts.

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree that any hate crime legislation is a very bad idea. You should not be given extra time for what you think - my stomach is churning just thinking about it - (I hope I didn't break any laws).

My position on this issue is not because I won't be allowed to bash homosexuals from the pulpit anymore, but because what I think is my business, expressing what I think is my business (as long as I don't hurt others and I don't mean hurt your feelings) and should be protected by the First Amendment for starters.

15. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Even those that proclaim Christ as Savior and Lord, are working hard on the wrong side, IMHO. We are falling fast, and the ACLU is an instrument for destruction of Christian principals among the people.

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you say teaching a Bible class do you mean as literature or as theology? I would not mind the Bible as literature class in a public setting (especially the King James Version); the other needs to happen at a church or at home.

It is clear that school districts are taking the safety first "all or nothing" approach concerning religion. They either let all of it in or none of it. Most choosing to dismiss all of it. It is not a first amendment violation because they aren't allowing anyone to use it...all are equally denied.

Don't worry Dobson knows who Barton is and has been heavyly influenced by his "research" and lopsided conclusions. Dobson has been used by the Republican party to get votes and his recent willingness to step away from them because of a failure on the part of said Republicans to deliver the goods is in my opinion an indication that he is starting to figure that out.

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm afraid we're closer than we think.

18. johnjudge

johnjudge Member

"Perhaps if you read someone other then David Barton and listened to someone other then James Dobson you would have more clairty on this issue because on this issue (among others) they are flat out wrong."

I am not familiar with David Barton, and I never did like Dobson. What is it that Barton says?