1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastor-only-administered ordinances/sacraments?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thomas Helwys, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt:

That John the Baptist was an ordainced "pastor."
    I doubt that Philip was an ordained "pastor"
    I do not know that Paul was ordained
    I do not know that any person in the NT was ordained in the modern sense of the word.

The first known use of the word, ordain, in English was in the 14th century.

I see no hierarchy, when it come to a person being between a person and God, in the NT. Sure, some had more influence than others ... but not spiritual authority in the modern sense of the word.

I believe any Christian can baptize an unbeliever ... can officate at the Lord's supper ... etc. Seems to me the only reason a Christian cannot perform a wedding is because of local or state laws, not Biblical injuctions.

All this who an do what and who can't simply larks back to the beliefs and practices of the Catholic church of previous centuries

Blessings.

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So would you be happy for any old Joe or Joanna from the street coming to the front at your church and 'doing the communion bit'? If not, why not?

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not the person 'doing the communion', but the recipient's relationship with God that is important.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not what is being said

5. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

I thought I'd just share some early historical evidence...

"A valid Eucharist is to be defined as one celebrated by the bishop or by a representative of his." --Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch (c.110 AD), Epistle to the Smyrnaeans.8.1

6. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

First of all, concerning early historical evidence, since the orders of the ministry had not evolved into the bishop's office as a third order at that time because that was not in place for another 150 years or so, the office of Ignatius was equivalent to that of a senior pastor. There was no office of monarchial bishop until much later. Even your own Anglican Communion admits that the "historic episcopate" was just that, a historical development which gradually, after the NT period closed, evolved and was established as the churches grew and expanded. That is why the classical Anglican position is that the historic episcopate is for the benefit, not the essence, of the church. Of course Anglo-Catholics would not agree, but this is what makes Anglicanism different from the RC and EOC.

Secondly, was Ignatius an apostle who wrote scripture? If his views cannot be substantiated by scripture -- and they cannot -- then they are not authoritative.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: :saint: :thumbsup:

8. Doubting Thomas

I must say that this is an interesting response, and it is presumptive on different levels. I wasn't in any way arguing for the 'office of monarchial bishop' (whatever you may happen to mean by that) by quoting Ignatius in my post--I was simply citing his statement as early evidence that 'pastor-only-administered ordinances/sacraments' (which is the topic of the thread, is it not?) was the practice of the primitive church, at least in certain areas. This is whether you want to call it 'bishop' or 'senior pastor' or whatever.

Secondly, it is curious that you'd assert that the bishop's office wasn't yet a 'third order', when Ignatius himself in his epistles consistently distinguishes between 'bishop' and 'presbyter'. Sure, one may quibble that the 'bishop' was 'only' a 'senior pastor', supposedly in distinction to some other office that one alternatively labels as 'monarchial bishop' which allegedly only developed after 'another 150 years or so'--and I wouldn't necessarily object to so calling the 'bishop' a 'senior pastor' (since that's what he is), nor to the idea that there was indeed a structural development afterwards within the three-fold order. But the fact remains that by the early 2nd century, there was already a distinction between the 'bishop' (or if you prefer, the 'chief pastor') and 'presbyters' (or, the 'associate pastors') in the cities of Asia Minor, and the Ignatian evidence is that there was in that locale one 'bishop' per city (whether one wants to call him 'monarchial' or not) as Ignatius addresses them by name in his epistles.

But again, the purpose of my previous response was not to argue for the propriety of the historic three-fold order (though I certainly could do so elsewhere), let alone for something called a 'monarchial bishop' (whatever that means).

Again, this is not really relevant to the point I was making, though I could argue in another thread, if so I'm so inclined, that the pattern upon which the three-fold order is based (and which became universal) is actually found in the NT even during the time when the specific terms 'bishop' and 'presbyter' were still interchangeable.

I never said Ignatius was an apostle nor that what he wrote was 'Scripture'. Again, it seems you were trying to pick an argument with me over a point I wasn't specifically making. I merely cited him as 'early historical evidence' for a Church practice, which he undoubtedly provides. It may not have been explicitly spelled out in the NT, but I don't think the early Churches looked at the Gospels or the Epistles as being detailed (or exhaustive) Church manuals, especially since it was that in many cases the particular local Churches were established and functioning before there were any Canonical NT writings penned--all these Churches had to go on initially was the OT Scriptures and the Apostles' oral teachings. Even after the NT writings began to be written and then circulated, none of them individually or collectively provided an exact comprehensive 'how to do Church' manual, but were rather to teach doctrine and correct errors.

So, your conclusion that 'whatever can't be substantiated by Scripture is therefore not authoritative' is debatable, particularly for the early Church, as it assumes an anachronistic idea of 'sola Scriptura', as well as a definitely fixed and universally agreed upon closed Canon which didn't take place for about another 300 years.

While as an Anglican (since you decided to bring that up), I certainly would agree that whatever is NECESSARY FOR SALVATION is contained in the Scriptures and can be proved thereby (per Article VI), I also believe the Church has authority in Rites and Ceremonies (just as long as they don't CONTRADICT Canonical Scripture) in matters not specifically spelled out the Scripture (per Articles XX and XXXIV) so that things are done decently and orderly within the Church.

#28 Doubting Thomas, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
  9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I think others can administer either and both.

10. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Well, let me then again speak to the point you were making, even though I have done that already. You take the long way around to get to your point which is basically the Richard Hooker position that the Anglican Communion regards tradition and reason as secondary sources to be accepted as long as they do not contradict scripture. In effect, this is a sola scriptura position because it makes scripture the primary and final authority.

Which brings me back to my point about Ignatius: Ignatius was not an apostle who wrote scripture. His views on this cannot be substantiated by scripture and in fact contradict scripture, so they are not authoritative and should be dismissed.

Anglicanism, along with Protestantism, says that if tradition contradicts scripture, it is scripture which must be followed.

11. Doubting Thomas

I'm afraid I missed where Ignatius' statement I quoted contradicted anything in canonical Scripture. I don't recall seeing a specific statement by Jesus or His Apostles to the effect that "Anyone within the congregation is allowed administer the Lord's Supper" or "A lay-led Eucharist is a valid Eucharist". If you can show me any such statement in Scripture, then I'd scratch my head and revise my opinion. Until then, I don't see where an actual contradiction with Scripture exists on this issue, nor therefore any justification in dismissing Ignatius' statement as authoritative for evidence in determining what was early Eucharistic practice.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your views are not substantiated by Scripture either so what is the difference?
    You simply post your beliefs without Scripture. They are opinions and that is all.

13. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

"Early Eucharistic practice" is not the same as Biblical practice of the Lord's Supper. Ignatius is not authoritative unless his views line up with scripture, which they do not.

The Biblical doctrine of the priesthood of all believers destroys mediatorial prelacy. Thus, nowhere in scripture is administration of baptism and "consecration" of the Lord's supper restricted to pastors or clergy only.

Even the Anglican Diocese of Sydney is in favor of "lay presidency", and in the "Catholic" bodies, anyone may baptize in case of a so-called emergency.

I will go by the Biblical doctrine and you may go by Ignatius if you choose. I have no need to have baptism and the Lord's supper mediated to me by pastors or clergy, although I have no difficulty accepting that as one of their functions; it is just not a function that is restricted to them. If you and others feel the need of a mediator, that's your decision.

14. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

And what you have just written is merely your opinion. The scripture I have given substantiates my views; the scripture you have given does not substantiate yours.

But you are in good company with Presbyterians, Lutherans, Anglicans, Catholics.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Personal attacks will not warrant you in good standing with the board.
    The above are simply lies and slander.

16. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

No, it is you who are lying and slandering by your accusations. Nothing I said in that post is a lie or slander. See, you are an empty vessel, and the truth is not in you. All you can do when you have no ground to stand on is what you have just done. It is you who have attacked me personally. But that is what you do. And you can get away with it because you are a moderator.

Everything I said in that post is true. And you are in good company with those denominations on this issue because you believe as they do and not as Baptists do. What is not true about that? You believe as they do on this issue.

So, your accusations are hollow and false.

Any objective reader can tell who is being dishonest, slanderous, and falsely accusatory and who is not.

If you give me a warning, I will call you on it because I don't deserve it, but you deserve one. Do you have the integrity and courage to be fair and objective? We'll see.

#36 Thomas Helwys, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2013
  17. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I know how we can solve this, DHK. You don't respond to me, and I won't respond to you. I don't want to have anything to do with you anyway or even acknowledge your presence.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You do realize that with the bolded, you have just questioned DHK's salvation, do you not?

19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can only speak to Northern Regular Baptist Polity and Practice. Speaking for other denominations in beyond my brief.

The underlying principle is the ordinances (Baptists do not view them as sacraments) belong to the local church. It is a given church which decides who may administer them on the church's behalf.
    In regular order, the person being baptized is usually baptized into the membership of a given church. Though, the case of the Ethiopian Eunuch is relevant for the mission field.

20. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

That is absolutely untrue. I was talking about substance, integrity, and ethics. You therefore owe me an apology and a retraction of your false accusation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.