1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor Replaces Poetry Recitations With Scripture

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist pastor suffers writer's block, tells churchgoers to expect Scripture in coming weeks rather than his poems.

"A Chapter Closes. . ."

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Iinteresting that he would have so committed himself to such a tradition that, in the end, it took him over! And that he felt he had to get quasi-permission from his leadership to change it. I never did anything quite this elaborate, but I know that I too engaged in some self-imposed patterns that began to feel oppressive after a while. There is an illustration in there somewhere about human nature, sin, and the demonic!

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I love Dr. John Piper, but some of the things he does with his style and parts of the sermon just make me scratch my head.

Glad he is including something new and something radically centered in Scripture. That is pretty profound. I am glad he is humble enough to look for wisdom and talk about his move. He is a good representative for what a pastor should look like for all of us. :)

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I thought the exposition of Scripture was the purpose of a sermon.:BangHead:

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to tell what has changed here. had he exchanged expository preaching for the reading of poems? Or was that merely done before or after the message?

Hopefully it was the latter. The former would have been tragic.