1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastor Smokes?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jedi Knight, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Born Again

Born Again Member

Why shouldn't it matter?

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I see.

You just want to post and run, right?

You don't want to D E B A T E on this D E B A T E site.

Makes perfect sense.

No way in Hades would I go to a church where the pastor smoke!!! NO WAY!!!!

Why?

I DON'T HAVE TO GIVE YOU REASONS! If I do that you will show them to be weak and unsupportable!!! I don't have to have a CASE for what I believe! I don't have to be able to support what I believe!
    Who are you to try to make me make an argument for what I said on a site designed for arguments to be made!!!

Makes sense.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe he is talking about a bong:smilewinkgrin:

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who say you have to debate? BTW I would like to see some Pastors respon what their convictions are on this "smoking" subject.

#64 Jedi Knight, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
  5. Born Again

Born Again Member

Relax much?

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You don't HAVE to do anything but pay taxes and die.

It's not about what you HAVE to do.

It's about what you OUGHT to do.

This is a DEBATE site.

It is a place for debate.

It is less than noble to drive by post. You OUGHT to feel obliged to make a case for what you post.

7. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Look at the OP it was a question...debate is optional. Seen MANY posts over the years having mature "General Baptist Discussions" without debates.

#67 Jedi Knight, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
  8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes I would attend such a church, and work towards throwing out the gossips and those who worried about others dancing.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You're probably right.

The OP was a question. A simple answer might be all that is called for.

I just figured that you wanted more than just a yes or no. I figured you wanted justification- reasons for the yes or no.

I digress.

10. JimmyH

JimmyH New Member

Glad you appreciate it. At 64 years old I've been attending a church for about a year and a half. What I believe the Lord wants me to be comes from the Gospels and the Epistles through the Holy Spirit enlightening the eyes of my understanding. Perhaps when I am as advanced in the faith as you obviously are, I will become more discerning. Right now I just try to be led by the Spirit.

Silly question ..... well I can't speak for the late Dr Barnhouse, but I imagine, since you perceive it as 'silly', he would probably say you must be very proud of your superior knowledge on these matters.

Well if you are fond of a drop, and can DRINK RESPONSIBLY, by all means DO SO.

For me, I put the plug in the jug some years ago. Pastor Adrian Rogers had a great sermon on the topic that might interest you. If not I highly recommend it to anyone interested in more on the topic. I've never heard a better presentation on the the Biblical grounds for TOTAL ABSTINENCE.

http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/...ten/the-case-for-total-abstinence-327801.html

Paul said all things are legal for me but not all things are profitable. For me drinking alcoholic beverages is one of those things that is not profitable FOR ME. We all have to 'work out our own salvation'.

BTW, I'm not particularly interested in debating but I see it is recommended highly by you. When in Rome.