1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Pastoral Authority" - pastor resigned

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by trainbrainmommy, Feb 12, 2007.

1. trainbrainmommy

trainbrainmommy New Member

PTL - God handled the problem in my friend's church. The pastor resigned last night. Said he feels called to the mission field. Now the members at this little church in Tennessee can start looking for a new shepherd. God answers prayer! :godisgood:

2. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many pastors on this board would like to take that church? :tonofbricks:

3. trainbrainmommy

It's a blessing that each church only requires one pastor. I am sure the church will be careful when they interview candidates to specify what type of pastoral style would best fill their needs and a pastor who agrees with the constitution or is willing to openly suggest changes using proper channels.

They do not hide that there are issues in their church. But hopefully a new pastor would work with them to resolve issues instead of creating more issues.

I pray God will lead a wise, discerning, Godly pastor there who seeks what is best for the people in the church. Not a "yes-man" but a true leader.

4. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Due to the weather, we were unable to go to the business meeting. Our pastor's vote was 95% for him, and only 4 people voted against him.??

By "they" you are referring to the 4 people that voted against the former pastor....right?

It looked to me like they already had a "Godly pastor".

ISam.26:9.......for who can stretch forth his hand against the LORD'S anointed, and be guiltless?

I wouldn't trade places with "your friend" for all the tea in China!!!

5. trainbrainmommy

HUH?:confused:

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Proper channels would be to submit to the Pastor as he submits to Christ. The church should defer what best fits their needs to God.

7. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OP,

Whomever you choose, you better make sure of a few things:

1) God wants him there.

2) The goals and plans of the church are the same as the pastoral candidate.
    In the SBC, the average length of service for a pastor is 18 months. They found out that the main problem was that the goals, ideas, plans and vision of the church did not match that of the pastor. And vice versa.

I mean, if a pastor wants to introduce contemporary worship, but most of the people want trad. hymns, then there is going to be friction. Maybe the local church wants to support local missions, but the pastor wants to dump all the mission budget into China---there is going to be a problem.

OP, please pray about this and I hope my advice is of some use to you.

8. trainbrainmommy

?? OP ?? I don't understand?? But appreciate the advice.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

O. P. = original poster, the person who started the thread= you
    it can also mean original post, the first post in a thread.

10. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Some pastors understand their calling and would accept the challenge to do what God has brought before them, while others would run the other way desiring instead to be handed a gold platter.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Our last pastor was at our church 8 years, and Bro. Kevin has been here over 10 years, our music minister father retired a few years ago, and he had pastored for over 20 years in the same sbc church.

12. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

And they probably would be better off for it.