1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured pastoral expectations

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Herald

Herald New Member

How serious do you take preaching the Word of God? An elder's (a pastor is an elder) primary jobs are to labor in the Word, prayer, to protect the church from error.

I take James' admonition seriously. Preaching/teaching is serious stuff. The preacher is accountable to God. 15-20 hours is about right. Where is it in the Bible? If we use that reasoning why not a 30 second sermon? After all, where is it in thr Bible?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How to preserve your pastor

So what are some things other church leaders and church members can do to avoid this “regret?”

First, everyone should understand the dynamic of “expectations” and be ready to control the damaging effects of their unmet expectations. Rather than being quick to ask, “What happened?” we should all ask “How can I help?” and “What can I do to assist the man we have called as our shepherd become all that God would have him be in our midst given his spiritual gifting?”

Second, the pastor himself must be quick to help set expectations by not trying to muddle through his weaknesses (faking it/keeping up appearances). Instead, he should be quick to admit his shortcomings and to ask for help. If people begin to grumble about the quality of the preaching, he should admit that additional coursework or coaching from a more gifted preacher would be helpful so that his preaching will improve in order to meet the real needs of worshippers. The same is true, of course, for every area of ministry as well.

Third, church members need to undertake careful self-examination and question their own spiritual maturity so that they can be sure they are ready to commit to a shepherd who doesn’t just live to please them. The pastor is called to please God and guide the sheep even when the sheep (church members) don’t like where God’s Word may be leading them. That is what makes pastoring very different from a “job.” The shepherd’s call requires him to lay down biblical principles that will guide the church. Frequently such principles will clash with practical reality, but the pragmatic must never be elevated above the biblical ideal (the eternal truth of God’s Word).

And finally, everyone must exercise the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). Being intentional about your faith can preserve your pastor. Helping him model these spiritual qualities by modeling such behavior ourselves can set the right kind of expectations that should govern life in our churches.

Too many pastors have undertaken ministry with a belief that the apostle’s words at 1 Corinthians 9:22 “to become all things to all men” means they must be the expert in every area of church endeavor. We, the sheep who follow, must be very careful to not feed such an attitude by having and placing expectations on the men we call when we know that what they really need is a group of faithful followers who reward humility and joyously seek mutual ministry as partners.

http://redeemingchurchconflicts.wor...blem-of-misguided-and-misstated-expectations/

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

An elder needs to know how to teach, and obviously know the Bible. Nowhere are they told to give speeches. We are all commanded to preach the Gospel, BTW. Loboring in the word, prayer and keeping error out us NOT the same thing as sermon prep.

I recall the apostles being lead by the Spirit in their sermons.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

They were apostles. We are not. We have to study with the help of the Holy Spirit, of course.

Jesus' command: "When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say" was for them, not us.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bottom line is an elder needs to know how to teach. That comes by gifting, knowledge and the Spirit. I'm not saying there should be no preparation, but 20 hours?

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think one of the areas where the church has suffered is that there has not been enough preaching/teaching on the role of pastors. So what happens is the church remains ignorant or holds a misunderstanding of that role and day to day activities of a pastor. We see a small example of that in this thread.

I think the reason for this is that to do so may be perceived as self serving. But we need to teach the whole counsel of God.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If that happened there would be a whole lot less pastors. Many pastors don't even get the role of pastor / CEO in today's corporate driven church.

8. Herald

Herald New Member

if one...knows the Bible... Really? REALLY?! I do not even know what "knows the Bible" means. I am always learning. I will know more tomorrow than I do today. I may be in error and come to the point where I repent and change my mind. You seem to have a low view of what constitutes biblical teaching.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Semantical gymnastics and ad hominem aside, the average person would 'know' what I mean by someone 'knowing the Bible'.

Besides, doesn't your soteriology teach 'know' as strictly an intimate relationship? I recall that argument for 'depart from me, I never knew you'

#49 webdog, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013
  10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Part of what you identify as problems here can be traced to a lack of preaching, and obeying that preaching.
    On sermonaudio...most good sermons are in the 40-45 minute range.
    Many cannot focus much past that because they do not come prepared to hear from God through the word preached.

One pastor said it this way...if he was going to labour at preparing and preaching the sermon, the saints need to be studying, praying and preparing themselves to be able to welcome and understand that sermon.
    If they are going to lazy and disobedient to revealed truth, God is not goping to be mocked as they sit before Him as those in Ezekiels day;
    31 And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness.

32 And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see the problem as a personal accountability issue in not wanting to be discipled or studied on what the Scriptures say. What any pastor says needs to be filtered through scripture. The quote you gave of the pastor is a little too haughty for my liking, like an infallible message will be given.

12. Herald

Herald New Member

That does not exactly speak well of the average person.

How is this solely about soteriology? Would you not agree that the pastor/elder is to proclaim the whole counsel of God? Have you ever done serious exegesis of the scriptures? Have you ever wrestled with God in prayer for wisdom in preparation for speaking to God's people in God's name? When the preacher says "thus sayeth the Lord" is that a trivial matter?

Perhaps there are gifted men who only need a few hours or minutes to whip up a dynamic message that will move sinners to repentance and build up the saints. The men I know pour themselves into the scriptures for 10-20 hours a week in preparation for 45-60 minutes on Sunday. Abilities vary, so the time spent varies accordingly. I just happen to think that your criticism of the hours spent preparing a message is way off base and displays an ignorance of what it means to handle the Word of God.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks for your feedback. Our search committee realizes that we need to "think outside the box." Your suggestions are helpful to me. I welcome any other ideas you want to share.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is no subject that has been a pet peeve of mine over the years more than this one. It goes beyond pastors to those who serve the church while most of the group include lazy, pew sitting slobs whose entire contribution to the local church is to complain.

It usually takes several forms. For example, someone in this category in the hospital may complain that the pastor or church members did not visit them enough. My question to them would be, how often did you visit others in the hospital?

If the van pulls up too early or too late to pick up someone, my question to them would be, how often did you drive a van route when you were younger?

If someone complains the pastor speaks too loud or too softly, or the audio system does not work right, my question to them would be, how often have you spoken before the church, and did you ever volunteer to work the sound system?

When they complain about empty pews, my question to them is, how often did you get out and visit?

When they complain about low rates of baptisms or new members, my question to them is how many have you invited to church in the last decade or told others about Jesus? Usually zero.

One of the things complainers and pew sitters are best at is gossip, so my question to them is, do you ever shut up?

I do not claim to know what it like to be a pastor, as I have never been one, nor will I ever be one. But I do know this from being in charge at other jobs. It is the type of job that is lived 24 hours a day. A pastor is responsible for as many church members as he has spiritually, to encourage, edify, and numerous other areas. He is a man who must generate self encouragement as he sees the number helping the church vs the number that are not. I do know a pastor is a job of great responsibility, and the complainers do not have a clue what this man is going through.

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I see a different group of members. There are certainly some complainers, but the vast majority of people (average 110 thru a year) are people who would do anything they could if they know of a need.

All of our Bible study leaders are lay people. All of our leadership team is lay people. Our musicians are all lay people. Those who are not retired work at least a 40 hour week and then come to church to serve.

I am often beaten to the Hospital by a deacon or SS teacher on an emergency situation.

One of the problems with some of the threads about pastors is the presence of a "Poor Me!" attitude by some of us pastors. This wasn't forced upon me by God, this was a call of God that I have joyously answered and for over 30 years have enjoyed. It's like all jobs and callings, sometimes there are difficulties, but an overwhelming majority of the time has been nothing but Joy!

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hardly.

Who said it was?
    Absolutely.
    Yes. Spent an entire year almost on hamartiology alone.
    Can't say I 'wrestled' with Him, but I have done preparation in teaching.
    Depends on what he discussing. I've heard plenty of preachers claim God's truth when it was anything but. Just because I say thus saith the Lord doesn't mean He saith it.

I haven't criticized anyone. Based on the role of a shepherd, it is not to spend half of their time delivering a single message to a flock. My pastor spends one day in preparation and preaches for 45 minutes. For someone to tell me they need 3 extra days more on average leads me to question their knowledge of the Bible.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With your godless attitude it is a wonder you are a church officer. You need to put a bit in your mouth.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are the exact model of what I am talking about. A talker but no action. I asked you a while back to stay away from my posts. That means shut up, for the second time. You can take your smart alec remarks, arrogance, and worship of Calvin, and stick all three where the sun does not shine, at a 253 degree angle.

#58 saturneptune, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  19. Herald

Herald New Member

I quoted your last sentence because it accurately summarizes our differences. I can honestly say that I join with many other pastors I know personally who are willing to have their biblical knowledge questioned because of the time they spend laboring in the scriptures.

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Maybe they need three extra days of prayer and fasting in preparation. I usually spend from 6-10 hours studying and reading for a message and several more praying for it. But then there are times when I spend all week on a message because, well- that's just the way it is some weeks.

I wouldn't put down someone because they spent that time in the Word. That's our job, after all.