1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured pastoral expectations

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Sep 5, 2013.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see now what you are saying and can appreciate that vantage point. Our church also has a plurality of elders. I do think duties should be shared, however. All elders have the same requirements and need to be able to teach (preach).

I wish most sermons weren't speeches, but that is what they tend to come across as.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Great statement. Some weeks it requires more time to prepare me for the sermon than it does for me to prepare the sermon.

But anyone who has never "been there, done that" can understand. I couldn't, until I became a pastor.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Probably at least three days. And, as I indicated much earlier in this thread, he had spent three years at the feet of the Master, learning everything that he spoke that day.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

three plus years.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So he locked himself in his study for over 3 years? If you mean his life application and knowledge of Christ and His Word, I agree...and believe that is the same approach that should be taken today.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Go back to the sermon on the Day of Pentecost.
    First, they were told to wait there. While waiting Peter had plenty of time to pray and spend time in God's Word.
    In the first part of chapter one we find 120 disciples all praying together.
    Then the Day of Pentecost "fully came," and they were all filled with the Spirit. Peter preached. Note in Peter's sermon that he had no trouble, without notes, making exact quotes from Joel 2:28ff, quoting Psalm 110, and other OT references. His message was full of OT quotations. He didn't have any written notes; his tablet or I-pad; or even a NT for that matter. But his message was filled with Scripture and the application of it.
    It was obvious that he had spent time in prayer and Bible study and was consequently "filled with the Holy Spirit."

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

That's the purpose of seminary -- to enable that focus in the life of those called to pastor.