1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pastors and church people compensation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by IAMWEAK_2007, Feb 24, 2008.

1. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

How are the people of the church, pastors etc. being compensated. Who rules on this matter?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you asking how they're paid? With a paycheck. ;)

In our church, we have a board of deacons with a finance committee within that. The finance committee are made up of men who are in the financial business world, the senior pastor and the administrative pastor (who was an accountant in his former life). They decide on salaries and usually it's decided on by need. The youth pastor who was living at home didn't need a lot of money to live on so he didn't get much. When he married, he received a large increase in his salary because now he had a wife to take care of. So each pastor is paid partly on how long he's been at the church and partly on what his need is. (The senior and administrative pastors do not make the decision on their own salaries.)

Oh - I'm adding in the info on the other people. We have a staff of about 45 people and all are either on salary or hourly. The salaries for everyone, just as with the pastors, are decided on by the finance committee. Everyone is given raises (pastors and all staff) in April when we begin the new budget year.

The budget is given out to the congregation (they don't get a fully detailed budget - as in what each person makes - they just get "salaries....$---- (whatever the budget amount is for the salaries)) and it is voted on by the entire membership. There has never been a salary issue as far as I know in the last bazillion years. LOL Atleast in the last 12 years we've been there!

#2 annsni, Feb 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2008
  3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

All the church staff at the church which I am currently familiar with are paid by a paycheck once a week. Three staff (pastor, youth minister, minister of worship), are ordained, and are paid according to what they have chosen in regards to their taxes. The rest of the staff (education minister, recovery minister, secretaries/admin assistants, custodial staff, ) are paid by either salary or hourly, with appropriate taxes taken out.

What rules? The rules that govern paychecks.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

The finance committee sets the salary each year when they write the budget, then the church votes on the budget. Each week the paid personnel (pastor, music leader, secretory and youth leader, custodian) receive a pay check written by the treasurer.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I pastored a small church in the Philippines, the church, sitting in majority of 50% plus 1, voted annually on the pastor's and church workers' allowances, and this was met weekly by the church treasurer and a deacon either issuing us checks or cash.
    The rest of the expenses which were not fixed amounts were then paid by the church treasurer, with the checks co-signed by me and/or a deacon, and a financial statement prepared monthly, and posted on the bulletin board, with anyone wanting to request a copy free to do so.

Among Primitive Baptists, we do not have salaried ministers and church workers, but are compensated based on the actual offerings (we do not practice tithing). The love gifts are disbursed by two deacons.
    Annual reports are taken up during the church's annual meetings, however, should a member need to be updated at anytime, he/she may request such an update.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My salary is set by a finance committee who set it as part of the budgeting process. Then the church votes on the budget. During the time the church discusses salaries for me or other staff people we are asked to leave the meeting. But we come in to vote.