1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastors and discernment?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Justified, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Justified

Justified New Member

What is discernment?

Is discernment important for a Pastor to have, in order to shepherd the flock?

Are there Biblical verses to back your opinion or beliefs in this matter?

Is the Bible a help in matters of discernment?

:cool:
    Edited to meet Dr. Bob's objections

[ September 10, 2003, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Discernment could have something to do with knowing how to SPELL a word before posting an entire topic on it! :rolleyes: [​IMG]

From the Latin dis (away) and cernere (separate).

So would imply ability to separate one matter from another, perceiving and recognizing.

Used about 20 times in the Bible, for kings and rulers and pastors AND for us to deal with the false gifts manifested today!

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I think EVERY Christian should have discernment whether they are pastors or not.

I also believe this is a gift from God and He gives it freely in our walk with Him as we grow spiritually.

Blessings,
    §ue

4. Justified

Justified New Member

Well, I did use discernment on the last spelling of it, in my post? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heb 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. (KJV)

IKing 3:9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people? (KJV)

Ezek 44:23 And they shall teach my people the difference between the holy and profane, and cause them to discern between the unclean and the clean.
    (KJV)

We have piddlin' little discernment in the Church and yes it is very important. I can ask 6 Baptists a question and get 12 answers. We don't know good from evil and don't care. Many on this board thrives on the lack of discernment and the lack of desire of it for those who don't know keep bringing up the same subjects rejecting anything that goes against their desires or schooling. Evil is called good and good called evil or more damnable than that - gray the color of compromise and the settings at satan's table. We can spell discernment. We just don't use it or want it and the Church and the world suffer for our fleshliness.

Phil 3:19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)(KJV)

2 Pet 2:19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. (KJV)

Gal 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. (KJV)

1 Pet 2:16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God. (KJV)

While we scream legalism and bask in our "liberty" we perish for the lack of knowledge and discernment.

[ September 11, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

6. Justified

Justified New Member

If a Pastor doesn't have discernment base on Biblical truth, how can he keep leavin from entering and spreading through out God's Church!

7. rufus

rufus New Member

Perhaps we have just been sampled with a good dose of what this thread is about!!! Wow!

Rufus :(

[ September 11, 2003, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

8. Justified

Justified New Member

If I'm not mistaking, there has only been one Pastor that posted, and he gave a very good explaination of this subject.

Or, on the other hand, maybe the lack of posting by other Pasters, shows the lack of discernment on their parts!

[​IMG]

9. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    So sorry to offset your math Justified, but there have been two pastors commenting on this thread - and now you can add another, who is a former.

By the way, pastors are human also, just like you. We all need to covet Godly discernment in everything. [​IMG]

10. Justified

Justified New Member

Barnabas, I stand corrected!!!

I guess I wasn't using DISCERNMENT!! [​IMG]