1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor's quote on Obama

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Cutter, Apr 5, 2010.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to believe this mentality stays at Mac's church! Maybe they are the bulk of the "non-attending" members; or in the "non-resident" category!:confused:

Then again, maybe they just doodle or read comics during his sermons!:thumbs:

2. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think anyone has mentioned President Carter who used to teach SS about once a month while he was president. I knew the regular teacher for the class. He and his family were members of our church in Nashville when I was growing up. His son and I played football together in HS.

Another reason that the Obamas, or any president for that matter, might avoid attending church is the distraction it causes for other church members that could be detrimental to their worship. In any case, the preacher here went overboard in his comments. Mentioning the president and his family being there is one thing, but it would be mentioning the obvious.

I think that one part of this is that the parents are trying to keep things as normal as they can for their young children. I can't imagine how difficult this must be in their situation. I have to wonder whether things would be better if they went more often. It might seem more normal for the church members if they had to deal with the "hoopla" more often. And the presence of the president would seem to "require" comments from the pulpit.

Tim Reynolds

3. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Nope. If I were a pastor and the president came I would not mention it from the pulpit.