1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastors: That Divorce Rate Stat You Quoted Was Probably Wrong

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I have written quite extensively about the abuse of stats by evangelicals and the media in the past, it was refreshing to see a recent article at the Gospel Coalition show some new data that corrects some erroneous divorce rate statistics which seem to get thrown around the Internet, in the media, and, unfortunately, in the pulpit. The stat in question was that Christians divorce at roughly the same rate as the world.

But what did the actual research show?

People who seriously practice a traditional religious faith---whether Christian or other---have a divorce rate markedly lower than the general population.

The factor making the most difference is religious commitment and practice.

What appears intuitive is true. Couples who regularly practice any combination of serious religious behaviors and attitudes---attend church nearly every week, read their bibles and spiritual materials regularly; pray privately and together; generally take their faith seriously, living not as perfect disciples, but serious disciples---enjoy significantly lower divorce rates than mere church members, the general public, and unbelievers.

http://www.edstetzer.com/2012/09/pa...m_campaign=Feed:+Edstetzercom+(EdStetzer.com)

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thanks for the link. Not only for the information it contained. One of the comments, in particular, struck a cord with me.

Just one example, of many. Not long ago I heard a pastor defending his use of the NIV by saying King James was a _______. (I won't use the term he used.) He lost credibility with understanding the MV issue with me by making that statement as fact. As a KJB advocate, I've spent much time researching this issue. Have read much that refutes and so far haven't found anything that presents credible evidence that the rumor started 20 years, after his death, has merit. --- BTW, please don't derail this thread by posting rebuttal on this here. There's plently of room downstairs for "fighting" with links. :type: )

Far too many, IMO, take at face value, everything a pastor says, whether in the pulpit or on TV. Same thing in the secular world with "As Seen on TV" or read somewhere on the Internet. How many times have you heard "Welllll, John Doe said....................................? He oughta know, after all he's a ............".

People make mistakes. Lord knows I've made and will continue to make my share of them. People take what's placed in front of them at face value. I've done too much of that, too. Some hard lessons have been learned about accepting, as fact, so much of what's being promoted as "truth" these days.

It's refreshing, as in the link posted, to see someone refute "common knowledge" that is can be used to the detriment of our witness to Christ. Thank you, again.