1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PASTORS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE POLITICAL ARENA

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by ROD A. SARMIENTO, Feb 8, 2004.

1. ROD A. SARMIENTO

ROD A. SARMIENTO New Member

Are you in favor that Pastors be involved in the political arena? ;)

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No - I am sure this is not popular, but see the ultimate danger of that in the country on the northern border of where I live. Northern Ireland is the perfect example of what happens when the line between politics and "religion" is carried to its extreme.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberals have. Blacks have. But white fundamentalists? Oh, that is TERRIBLE!

Pastors are citizens of their nation (as well as of heaven!) and should be able to follow their choices in the political arena.

Many are well-spoken and can campaign around their ministry schedules. They ought never, though, combine politics with the pulpit.

There is enough offense in the Gospel without adding the offenses of the Republican Party.

(I ran for the House here in Wyoming back a few elections, and was defeated by only 400+ votes)

4. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's ok if they are acting as concered and interested citizens. ... If they start to claim that they speak with divine authority then they should be avoided. Christians, regardless of profession (job, calling, whatever) should be responsible citizens working to promote justicce and good government where they have opertunity and ability.

Regards
    Bob