1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastors who do verbal impersonations of others

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by LarryN, Jun 2, 2005.

1. LarryN

LarryN New Member

I'm in the middle of listening to a pastor preaching a sermon on www.sermonaudio.com.

Now, I knew this man personally years ago (say about 25 years ago), when he was still a young man about to go off to college. Since then, he's graduated from BJU, and he pastors a fairly good-sized IFB church. Surprisingly (to me at least), he's also now gone KJVO. I'm surprised at this because the IFB church he grew up in was decidedly non-KJVO; and BJU certainly isn't either.

Anyway, the sermon I'm listening to is the fourth sermon of his I've heard so far, and in each one he has affected some rather bizarre verbal intonations when he purports to be quoting others. For some of these he's clearly mocking what the other person originally said. By and large, I'm found these 'impersonations' to be distracting at best; and downright disturbing at worst.

Has anyone else ever encountered a pastor who does this (either frequently, or just occasionally?)

2. shannonL

shannonL New Member

It was very common during Jack Hyles peak years for preacher boys to imitate him immensly. Hyles used to have somekind of coughing problem. Fellows would even imitate the coughing sound HA!Ha!

3. Loren B

Loren B New Member

Our pastor tries to sound like Alexander Scourby when he reads scripture. It doesn't help!! How do you tell him without seeming negative?

4. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our pastor is my brother-in-law. He likes to impersonate himself (in various situations) and it is dog gone funny! When he impersonates any other pastor, it is evident that he does it with great respect.

PJ

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't envision a time (other than skit night with the youth) when exposition of the Word of God would be enhanced by imitating the preaching voice/style of any individual or stereotype.

6. Joman

Joman New Member

I found one ibf pastor @ sermonaudio too with that exact characteristic. Maybe is the same.

Very distracting...

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anyone know how big a person has to be to hide behind someone else?

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Exactly my thoughts!