1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor's Wife

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, Nov 14, 2004.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

This man would be a novice in my opinion, no matter how many days a week he had preached. He would not qualify for a deacon and should not qualify to pastor a church. Preach, yes. Pastor, no.

FBCPastorswife, I had assumed FBC meant First Baptist Church but see from your profile it's short for another name. [​IMG]

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I guess I should also add that my husband has been licensed through two local churches as well as ordained.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no substitute of "experience" for YEARS. That's all I'm saying. That is what a novice is (neophyte = new convert). That is not an "experience" issue; it is a "time" issue. New as contrasted to old.

I mentioned I was 24 when I took a senior pastorate. I had been saved 15 years, been preaching regularly for 8 years, been through college and grad school. These are TIME issues that bought be credibility with the old deacons and folks in our little farming community.

I'm not "judging" anyone. Just asking questions and making folks think. It's a nasty habit I have being a teacher . . .

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I've had pastors in the last 10 years who were much younger than me but these men had all been called at a young age, saved as a child and had a good number of years in school and preaching behind them. Being 34 to my 50ish didn't concern me because of their longevity in the faith.

5. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

My question would be how long does one carry the title novice? If we are to believe tradition ( which is not always a bad thing) then Paul established the church at Corinth and then three years later wrote them a letter telling them they should have come to some level of maturity by that time. I agree with gb, it is not an issue of age or length of salvation. I know many who have been saved for 30 years and are still at the same level of spiritual maturity they were at least 10 years ago.

6. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Exsentric,

No offense taken. My point is that though the qualifications of a Pastor are often applied to the wife. Though I agree with you that the Pastor's wife should be all of those things you mentioned, we should not hold to those as qualifications.