1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pat Robertson Calls creationist "Ignorant!"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Feb 6, 2014.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I understand Rev, I wasn't trying to be "difficult". I hoped to demonstrate that "I" do understand the tenets of YEC.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what I was saying is that the other poster made a strawman argument with regard to the literal interpretation of scripture.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, do you think the bible teaches and supports Young earth creationism, yet refuse that based upon "scientific facts", or do you hold the bible supports theistic evolution itself?

And I do think you, among all those holding to that view, seem most gracioustowards those of us who don't here!

4. quantumfaith

I think scripture teaches and emphasizes the YHWH created. The cosmos and us are the result of HIS creative work. I do not hold to a "literal" 6 24 hour creation event.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Even though the Scriptures say that is how it happened?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can answer from my vantage point...
    1. Any dating methods are expected to be errant. While recorded genealogies leave room for date variances, I believe this to be a better indication of the creation model. While I won't say 6000 years is the correct age, I am fairly certain anything with "billion" is also off.
    2. I reject Big Bang only as defined by darwinists, that nothing created it and everything was formed from it. Due to the proof the universe is still expanding, it is obvious everything started at a single origin, that being God. While things adapt according to their kind, humanity is distinct from the rest of creation as we are made in the image of God, spiritually, physically, emotionally, etc. God does not evolve and neither do we. If we evolved from something lesser, it would logically include us still evolving into something greater. This would be equally true of God if we are truly made in His image.
    3. I reject humans coming from anything but what Scripture mentions, man being formed from the dust of the earth and having the breath of life breathed into him, and woman coming from him. No room in the creation account from man coming from a primate ancestor.
    4. I believe we need to factor in more than just a literal reading of a passage or scientific "proof" that also falls under the curse. Measurements, time, age...everything was affected by the fall. When compared to language used elsewhere in the OT and NT, I believe one week was meant to be interpreted as we (and the ancient readers) would understand a week.

Just my take on it :)

7. quantumfaith

Well, can you point me to where the scriptures address quantum mechanics, and physics? And a whole host of other properties of creation are not addressed by scripture. Scripture (IMHO) is not meant or designed to be a scientific explanation. Thankfully God left that to our inquisitive nature, perhaps to stretch us intellectually.

8. quantumfaith

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    And I appreciate you and your contributions.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Why would Scripture need to address quantum mechanics and physics? Science is an attempt to explain Scripture. Scripture as you said is not an attempt to explain science.

10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Old Pat is beyond his prime and that is a fact; but many of us are!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    perhaps because the ord knows that NONE of us would be capable of fully understanding what he knows in those areas?

Like having an aborigine try to understand how modern computers work?

Also, God created Universe from scratch, so just how would science handle a supernatural event?

And how can they handle atonement.rebirth/resurrection, as NONE of that has a "scientific basis?"

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just nailed it! This other is not (as far as I know??) addressed in scripture, ergo there is no conflict with E=MC2 etc., but the creation story IS addressed. Therefore if science says different, then one must choose whether to believe God or science; your choice.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, for what must take the bible as the truth in regarding whatever it deals with, and wherescience conflicts with it, the scientist either misunderstood the facts, or have bogus science happening!

True science agrees with the bible...

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

TRUTH agrees with the Bible. True science isn't necessarily the truth.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What does this have to do with the fact that God said that He created the world in 6 days? Or that Jesus confirmed this? That Adam was the first man, created from the dust of the earth - not from the genes of an ape?

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

While Jesus spoke the following words in response to Nicodemus' failure to understandinb being "born again," He could have just as easily said them following your comment.
    John 3, NASB
    1 "Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you do not accept our testimony.
    12 "If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?" ​
    Who understand the language of quantum mechanics and physics well, other than someone schooled deeply in those fields? Yet we have texts that attempt to simplify some of those concepts to be understood by the layman. Did you want God to command Moses to get a Ph.D in quantum mechanics so he could understand God's words in describing a technically detailed manual laying out the creation? Or should we be glad and feel blessed that God chose not to go into great detail for the sake of 1) brevity, and 2) focus.

Hint: His focus wasn't to teach us quantum mechanics. It was to teach us about Him. Nonetheless, He had Moses choose very deliberately from the words he could write to describe the creation, to point us in the right direction. Scientists who reject the Genesis creation have chosen to look in the wrong direction.

17. quantumfaith

1. Yes I agree, we will ALWAYS be lacking in knowledge
    2. Yes I agree, God created the universe ex nihlio
    3. Personally, not being a naturalist, I easily accept the reality of miracles. So the resurrection etc. are not problematic for me.

18. Archie the Preacher

Yesh

But you think the Lord should have used the Genesis account to explain 13.7 billion years of Cosmic expansion and such to a late stone age, early bronze age person?

Do you understand you are contradicting yourself? Or will you just ignore this as you ignore everything else you cannot understand or fear to consider?

19. quantumfaith

Thanks so much just want peace. Nice to have a little validation every once and a while. Appreciate the endorsement.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Question begging fallacy.