1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pat Robertson To Speak At...

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pat Robertson has agreed to speak at "Trinity College of the Bible and Theological Seminary". This is sad for many reasons, not the least of which being that his speech will give some level of false credibility to this defective "school".

http://www.trinitysem.edu/Student/Notice/Notice.html

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Response to Martin Concerning Trinity

Martin,

I have not heard from you in a while. It may be my oversight. It is always a welcome occurrence to hear your opinions that I have come to value.

I was just "surfing" the other day and went to Trinity's web page. I have an INTERNET preacher friend, one who is a Teaching Fellow at the Olford Institute. He was involved with Trinity and earned the Doctor of Practical Theology. It was set up between Trinity and the Olford Ctr. in some such way. The Olford Ctr. being involved w/Trinity also gives them some measure and level of credence.

Anyhow, I went there to check out their web page and saw that Pat was going to speak. It does seem to lend some major level of credibility to them and their programs.

As I went through the pages I found the "Second Doctorate" option and their "ABD" option for those who had not finished their degrees. I was interested so I called one of the admission's counselors. He just happened to be a Southwestern grad who had his MDiv and some doctorate from SWBTS.

Now, if I understood him correctly which I may not have; you could do the second doctorate or the ABD option with only taking 3 (3 sem. hr) classes and then writing a thesis/dissertation paper of 20,000 words. That is a really short doctoral thesis it seems to me.

Also, if I understood correctly; one can do the "British Model" (whatever that may mean) and do the three 3 hr. course in one day each on campus or center where offered around the country.

I would like some other real academics here on the BB or someone who has a doctorate from Trinity come and explain how and why Trinity is not a modified "diploma mill!"

FWIW, and my two cents worth.

"Stay by the stuff!"

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

#2 Rhetorician, Jun 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007
  3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Well thanks. I've been around but I have been very busy so I have not be overly involved in any thread.

==Very interesting. I have not "explored" their website lately but I was aware that they have started new doctorate programs. One has to wonder if this is part of the reason they stopped seeking RA (??).

==That does not sound like a doctorate but, then again, few of Trinity's programs sound like the title of the degree. I think that "doctorate" is for people who want "Dr" in front of their name but don't want to do the work needed to earn the title. I know you are as aware of this, because of your position (etc), as I am but real doctorate degrees are hard. I have friends who have PhDs in sociology, history, education, etc, and they have earned the "Dr" in front of their names. Some spent nearly five years working towards their degree (classwork, research, interviews, teaching, etc) and then they had to go before a board and defend their research (etc). That is a real doctorate degree. I promise, the "doctorates" from Trinity, Andersonville, and Covington (etc) are not nearly as demanding. I know this because I know people who have "doctorates" from those "schools" and I have carefully studied their catalogs. The "doctorates" from Trinity are, from an academic standpoint, worthless. There are no shortcuts to a real doctorate degree.

If someone wants to earn a doctorate, let them do the work. Take the GRE, learn the required languages, do the research, do the hard work and earn that doctorate from an accredited, highly respected, school/seminary.

==It certainly is not up to the standards of a Dallas, Southeastern, Southwestern, UNC, George Mason, etc.

4. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trinity "Second Doctorate" & "ABD" Option

To all who have an interest:

Here is the web page for Trinity's "Second Doctorate" & "ABD Option" doctorates.

FWIW!

http://www.trinitysem.edu/DegreePrograms/BritishDoctoral.html

Remember. You must scroll down after you go there.

Enjoy (if possible?).:laugh:

rd

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I am just curious, would the research only doctorates from UNISA be considered real doctorates?

I am not a fan of Trinity, don't get me wrong, but wouldn't Pat Robertson's speaking be similar to the late Dr. Jerry Falwell speaking at LBU?

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unisa Doctorates!

I know of three credible people who have ThDs from the University of South Africa:

1.Dorothy Patterson, Paige Patterson's wife;

2. One of the Caner Brothers, I think Ergun at Liberty;

3. And Don Whitney, of SBTS (Southern), is finishing his I believe even as we speak.

Believe you me, UNISA's Th D is very credible.

rd

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I am in the no way questioning the credibility of the doctorates from UNISA. That is not my contention.

I am only appealing to the research only idea. Please, don't misunderstand me. Dr. Ray Anderson of Fuller Theological Seminary, who serves as a mentor to me, got his doctorate from a school in Europe, and he was explaining it to me: research and write a dissertation.

And I believe that Dr. Rick Walston of CES has a doctorate from UNISA, and I have a lot of respect for him. So please, don't get me wrong.

#7 TCGreek, Jun 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007
  8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Only if we consider LBU to be on the same level as Trinity College of the Bible. I don't know anything about LBU's program. However Robertson speaking at Trinity and Falwell speaking at LBU does not mean those schools offer quality programs.

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

British and Scottish universities have Ph.D. programs that require research and writing a dissertation. That's the British model.

Truthfully, it galls me that American seminaries don't offer this type of Ph.D. I have to go to St. Andrews, Oxford, Cambridge, Aberdeen to get this experience. I know one Ph.D. graduate from one of these schools who didn't have to learn German or French!

So why can't a M.Div. grad with Hebrew and Greek not do a research degree in NT, OT, ST, HT without learning German or French and without attending any more classes AND do it in the USA?

If you want that option and you don't want to move to get it, SA schools are an alternative. Thinking about it.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Since many early church documents are in German or Latin I think a scholar needs to learn German and Latin so he/she will be able to read those documents. A New Testament scholar, or a Church History scholar, who can read Greek, Latin, and German is in much better shape than one who can only read Greek (and maybe Hebrew). As for the extra classes, well, I see nothing wrong with furthering education. Those extra classes serve to teach the student more, so the student can learn more, so the student will be better prepared to be a scholar. Research is very, very important and should make up a large part of any PhD program. However there is more to it than research.

My area of study is early American Church History (mainly the Pilgrims of Plymouth and the Puritans). When I go to earn my PhD, either in American History or Church History, I will have to learn a foreign language beyond Greek. Why? Well because it is required but also because it will make me a better scholar, teacher, and student. Yes it is more work but in the long run I think the more work, the harder the work, the better the education.