1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patriotic Songs

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jbh28, Jun 26, 2011.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Should we sing patriotic songs during our worship services this Sunday? I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Many of our patriotic songs are about our country(duh!:)) and not about God. Some may mention God, but still have the primary theme about our country.

So should we sing these in our services, or should we keep our singing our worship songs?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would - as it is not prohibited by Scripiture.

I am thankful that our country provides (for the most part) freedom of Religion.

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

So what criteria do you usually have for your worship sings and does that change for this one Sunday? There are some songs where we thank God for our freedom we have, so I can understand those. I'm also thankful for what our country provides, but what I'm looking at is should we sing about that instead of what God has done for us?

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

I cannot imagine the United States without thinking of Christianity. Our country was founded by people seeking religious freedom, our Constitution and Bill of Rights were founded on biblical and Christian principles, so I would not have a bit of reluctance to sing patriotic songs in church. While our country is not and has never been perfect, it is the greatest country in the history of mankind, millions have come here seeking freedom and opportunity. I believe this is due to our Christian heritage and I am thankful to God for it.

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Are your announcements and every other element of the service about what God has done for us? Probably not.

Why would what you sing about be held to a "higher" standard of what is acceptable? The scripture does teach us to honor our leaders and to be good citizens. Personally, I believe it is overly legalistic to dictate that every song must meet some sort of litmus test of what is considered "worshipful." That being said, I'm sure there are examples of songs that I would feel are completely inappropriate, I just don't think the hymns about our country fall within that category. However, I consider that a "do you eat meat" type of question and don't hold a hard-line/either-or view on the subject.

6. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Announcements no, but most everything else, yes.
    I'm not trying to judge anyone on this by any means. What I'm looking at is that we have a worship service where we get together as Christians and worship God. Why do we have songs in our service? It's for worship, or more specifically an expression of our worship. You said we are to honor our leaders. I agree. But to me, when I replace my usual songs about God and replace them about my country, I'm wondering if this is pleasing to God. I believe Winman mentioned something about thanking God for our country. I know the song our choir will sing this Sunday is about that.

I guess I'm more referring to the more secular songs that are patriotic. The Song, "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" is a song about America. It does mention God in the 4th verse, but the other part of the song doesn't.

What got me thinking about all this was where I heard someone almost equate spirituality to patriotism. Now, I love our country and am thankful to God that I live here in the US where I'm free to worship Him!

Anyway, not here to judge anyone about it. My church will be singing them this Sunday. It's just something I've been thinking about lately. We go to church to worship God, and my desire is to make that the object of our worship in Church.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cannot imagine Paul meeting with the Church at Rome and singing songs in praise of the Empire or 'Happy Birthday, Dear Nero'.

We seek a country far different than even the ideal of what America once purported to be (though never was). My affections and loyalty are on things above, not on this earth.

I thank God for the measure of freedom of religion we still have. I will not have a "flag" in the worship center or sing patriotic ditties or anthems of praise to Caesar

Now PERSONALLY I love many of those songs. I am musical and enjoy the songs of the Civil War era especially. And fly the flag (though I'd prefer to fly the Bonnie Blue). But that is me as an individual, not identifying the Church with some non-Christian objective.