1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patterson to meet with Trustee Board of SWBTS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Hardsheller, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I have. I have also known many others (probably about 10-12 folks who are reasonably close to me) who have been both publicly and privately vilified and/or threatened by SBC leaders.

Grudge? I wouldn’t call it a grudge. I have forgiven those who have done wrong against me personally, although I don’t shrink back from considering their actions as evidence that their actions were/are ungodly. As for friends who have been harmed, strangely enough it is a bit harder to forgive. I work to practice grace in my life, but sometimes the anger comes out again when the same people harm others yet again. I hate the sins that they are committing, but I am also concerned for their condition before God and their witness to the world.

I am by no means a master at extending grace toward myself and others, but I succeed most of the time. (I learned a number of years ago that I need to forgive others for my own spiritual health!)

You are correct that I have been hurt, but I’m not an emotional basketcase over it. I try to be as objective as possible regarding these situations. I try to speak as factually as possible about these situations because I don’t want to be guilty of the same sort of name-calling and lies I have condemned. Most of my experience with the work of the SBC “conservative resurgence” (sic) is related to Texas Baptist life and Southwestern Seminary. I have also attended SBC annual conventions in the past and personally know a number of the major players in the SBC from past and present. Furthermore, I used to be on the “conservative resurgence” side of the fence before I realized that I was being misled. :(