1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paul-A Racist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cutter, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

I think Paul is emphasizing the condition of these people more than their race. I believe the only reason the race is mentioned to to help identify them by physicality but not because Paul is racist.

Its like when a store is robbed. The witnesses are asked to describe the criminal. One of the questions that is asked is about their race. If the witness says they are Asian does that mean he is being racist? No for the witness is only trying to describe the physical characteristics of the person who committed a crime so that others might be able to spot him.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Which was exactly my point in an earlier thread, regarding inter-racial marriages. Folks who oppose them have absolutely no Scriptural backing.

I do agree with your above quote...but some examples would further clarify where you're coming from.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Spot on. Absolutely spot on.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

What the "prophet" said about the Cretians may be applied to ALL of us "cretins" - which I believe was Paul's point.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The Bible is clear about all of us falling short of the glory of God. The hardest thing I find about we as humans is, how can we, knowing this, that we all are guilty as charged, dare before a Holy God, place ourselves as individuals, or any man made group we might invent, above anyone else or any other group. God created all of us the same, and none of us measure up.

When we think about the last 2000 years of human history, how many creations of the Lord, (that being us) have been murdered or slaughtered in the name of being in a different class, race, religion, economic status, or different belief. If we as human beings spent as much time telling others about the Gospel as we have killing each other based on man made divisions, how much closer would this earth be to the Kingdom of the Lord?

6. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Are you one of those people that believe the Kingdom will be ushered in by man's goodness and effort?

7. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Is it possible that "Cretan" was a derogatory term like 'Corinthian'? If so, then Mexdeaf's interpretation would make a lot of sense. But if not, it doesn't make sense.

Anyone have any knowledge on this?

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Notice that I was not providing an interpretation but rather an application- all of us are 'liars, evil beasts, slow bellies'. the Bible says "there is no one that does good, no not one."

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Note that wasn't Paul's application of the Quote.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Point noted. But Paul wasn't being racist.

11. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed. But he still held to a generality about a people group. Like New Yorkers are rude. Southerners are slow. Californians are liberal. etc....

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

...and deaf are "dumb"- I hear ya. :laugh:

13. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

An interesting question by the OP.

Please allow me to add my humble opinion.

I think Paul is pointing out some really important principles for those seeking to minister effectively.

1. Every culture is warped in some way and has unique sinful characteristics that manifest regularly.
    2. These sinful characteristics are entrenched in and perpetuated by tradition and often ritual because culture and religion are virtually inseperable.
    3. The gospel is often counter-culture and and we move through the process of sanctification sinful cultural practices will be both highlighted and challenged.
    4. The culture of the gospel and Christianity needs to take precedence over human culture.
    The gospel is ethnocentric but not necessarily culturocentric.

These principles become even more valuable in providing guidance as we seek to minister cross-culturally.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Very, VERY astute points!

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

And Alabameans caint spel.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

That certain cultures are different is obvious. I used to work with a married couple from India, the wife wore traditional clothing from her country which wasn't all that safe around machinery but they allowed it. She also always walked about 10 feet behind her husband, and if he was present would not speak, but allow him to do all the speaking. Now, if you got her alone she would freely speak to you.

Also where I live there are a great deal of Hispanic people. They are very nice people and we take some of the children to church. But their culture is obvious, they will play Latin music at deafening volume levels all day long and late into the night. They gather in groups outside and eat and dance. It is really quite nice although they need to keep the loud music down.

Seeing the difference in cultures is not racist. And considering a person's culture in marriage is not racist either. If one of my daughters wanted to marry a Muslim man, I would have a big problem with that, not just because we are Christians, but if I were not a Christian I would still have a big problem with it, because I would warn my daughter that she would have to be very submissive to her Muslim husband, she might have to wear a burka, might be very limited in who she could talk to or have as friends, she might not even be allowed to drive. These are real situations a person must consider.

If you call that racist, so be it. I call it being aware of cultural differences.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

NO one is denying that there are cultural differences to be considered. The problem is when someone says interracial marriage is a sin, etc.

18. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The hole Cutter is digging just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

19. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Who said this and when?

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, by today's standards, Paul is not only a racist, but antisemitic (by today's standards the worst kind of racist) and a misogynist.