1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paul Proctor on Purpose-Driven

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by bjonson, Apr 5, 2005.

1. bjonson

bjonson New Member

2. Journeyman1

Journeyman1 New Member

bjonson,

IMHO, the internet is about as bad as TV, if you read everything out there that you come upon, it will always lead you to a very negative distortion of the truth. As far as I am concerned Paul Proctor lacks any credibility to talk about the PDL. Obviously he has his own agenda even though he hides behind the bible.

jman

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, a long time country music industry veteran writer/expert on social issues. Maybe we should elect him the next baptist pope.

4. HappyG

HappyG New Member

That is the most rediculous article I have read in a while!

If the Purpose Driven Life and Rick Warren are your enemies, I feel sorry for you. And I also feel sorry for the other good people that come into your crosshairs.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

bjonson, as a proposed calvinist, I can see where you find this article being "very, very good". The situation kind of takes a bite out of the total depravity petal.

[ April 05, 2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: webdog ]

6. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Expert? Jesus thanked His Father that He revealed His Truth to the simple and kept it from the 'experts' of the world. So do I. Listening only to 'experts' can get you in a lot of trouble generally. "Experts" have been interviewed on TV the past few days - all of them I've seen are either apostate or ecumenical. When it comes to the things of God, the 'experts' can cost you everything.

7. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Why? What would make him credible in your view?

8. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops, should be:

a long time country music industry veteran turned writer/expert on social issues.

9. bjonson

bjonson New Member

I don't even understand your point...what?

10. bjonson

bjonson New Member

happy,

Sorry you feel that way. I feel much worse about Rick Warren's best seller being read rather than the Scripture.

11. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I could find nothing objectionable with this article.
    The writer pointed folks to the cross and pointed out that that lady did NOT.
    And the problem is? Some folks here really do have a purpose, and it is not extolling the virtues of the life of Christ. Sounds like it is more like the life of Warren.

I don't know if this man is an "expert" on anything. One thing I do know; he nailed our Laodicean churches to the wall. As well as our nations media, media spokesmen, church leaders, and everyone else on this PDL bandwagon.

The ONLY purpose any Christian should be concerned with is the Glory of God. Not themselves. "Let him DENY himself, take up his cross DAILY and come, follow Me". Sound familiar anyone?

In HIS service;
    Jim

12. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I get the feeling that Rick Warren and PDL is like the Baptist Board version of the Yankees. ;)

I'm not a big fan either but everyone here seems to really enjoy bashing PDL for being good at what it does.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The internet is much worse. Any idiot can have a website and post whatever they want and not be fired or subject to the FCC.

The writer of that article mentioend about Peterson having a PDL book. Many criminals are caught with a Bible too.

14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

GB;
    You are also right on the money. I had a KJV Cambridge Bible, (well used by me) in my home the day I was arrested by Federal Marshals on a fugitive warrant. I was fleeing conspiracy to possess, mfg., and distribute METH.
    Amazing what a backslid Baptist can get into huh?

Yes, in some respects as you pointed out, the Internet IS worse than TV. Unlike TV, though, with the Internet you have much more control over what comes before your eyes.

Neverhteless, Mr. Proctor did make a solid case against PDL's philosophy.

IMO

In HIS service;
    Jim

15. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Hogwash. Are we really supposed to be impressed with this guy's writing? Are we really to believe that someone who (I'm assuming here) makes a living writing wants to embrace the idea that nothing other than the Bible should ever be read? And is it really such a discovery that a man who is Biblically illiterate might call someone an angel? And if the biblically illiterate murderer calls the lady an angel because she read from PDL, does that really impune PDL?

PDL is about worship, fellowship, discipleship, evangelism and ministry. Exactly which one of those did Mr. Proctor make a solid case against?

As far as selling more books - PDL is already the all time #1 best seller, 2nd only to the Bible, and so far Rick Warren has not kept any of the profits from the book.

16. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great article. Popularity of PDL is just another symptom of the shallowness of our modern Christianity.

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy, mention PDL & the lemon suckers come out of the woodwork! :rolleyes:

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not really. It shows the condition of the church. Show me a congregation that prays and shares its faith and I will show you a church that is growing.

A few years ago I went to a maximum security prison to help out with a ministry there. Over and over I heard the men say they grew up in the church.

Too many are sitting in churches week after week and never lead one person to Christ in their entire life. The majority of churches in the US alone are plateaued or dying. Does anyone in their right mind believe the early church grew by having worship services, great music and Sunday School alone and then went home to sit in front of the TV. Then show up at a Bible study on Wed. noight and call that discipleship. That is the state of the majority of churches and those who lead them in America.

I like what I heard an old preacher once say, "It's a battlefield brother, not a recreation room."

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is Paul Proctor?

20. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I beg your pudding! I happen to enjoy sucking lemons (drops) that is. :rolleyes: :D ;)