1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paul's Poor Self Esteem

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Jan 24, 2011.

?

Is self esteem Biblical?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2011.
  1. I think the teaching of self esteem is un-Biblical.

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. I think the teaching of self esteem is Biblical.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I don't know.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I've heard the same thing.

Let me add a thought or two.

Low self-esteem and humility are not the same thing. The humble man has a realistic view of himself when compared to the Lord Jesus.

Self-esteem and self-confidence are not the same thing. I don't have a self-esteem problem because Shaquille O'Neal can whip the daylights out of me on the basketball floor. My self confidence will be low because of a realistic assessment of my abilities compared to Shaq's.

But my self-confidence level is high when we compare his singing abilities with mine.

#21 Tom Butler, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  2. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

From The Berean Call Newsletter, February, 1996 (excerpt)

All the Counsel of God
    Hunt, Dave
    February 1, 1996

"Of course it was Paul's sense of self-worth, his positive self-image and his high self-esteem that carried him through. Right? Wrong! This pitiful humanistic theory so popular in the church has proved to be so false and harmful that even the secular world is abandoning it. Newsweek's cover of February 17, 1992 announced its feature article in large letters: "THE CURSE OF SELF-ESTEEM: WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE FEEL GOOD MOVEMENT ." A November 23, 1995 article by a professor/researcher in Portland, Oregon's The Oregonian newspaper was titled, "Note to California: Drop self-esteem, Self-control is most important...." (California, with its Self-Esteem Task Force, like leading Christian psychologists, has spent years trying to prove that self-esteem is vital, and has failed.) Based upon years of research, the author declares, "If we could cross out self-esteem and put in self-control, kids would be better off and society in general would be much better off." This is precisely what the Bible has always said. Yet this fallacious and harmful theory is the very bread and butter of Christian psychology."

http://www.thebereancall.org/node/5827

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good thoughts. You and Shaq illustrate that God has different gifts for each of us, both practical and spiritual. No person should be looked down on because he has fewer gifts, or looked up to because they have more gifts.

We have a church member who has almost no gifts. He may even be slightly "Downs." He simply delivered newspapers for his career. Early last year he had a stroke, and now he is in a group home for dementia patients. But every time I visit him he says, "I'm going to church as soon as I can go home." In recent days a former company president (now with Hepatitis C) has been inspired by this to be more faithful in church.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post. Thank you! :thumbs:

Self control is what helps a youngster develop gifts and succeed in life. Self control keeps you going when you want to quit. It keeps you practicing that musical instrument when you're tired. It keeps you going to church when you should.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread seems to have played itself out. However, I'm encouraged in a way that no one has strongly defended self esteem, and all who responded to the poll believe it is un-Biblical.

So, unless someone else responds, I want to give you some quotes from Nervous Christians, a 1956 book by Christian psychiatrist L. Gilbert Liddle, MD (Chicago: Moody Press). This was back before James Dobson and others led evangelical Christianity down the self esteem path. There is also a final chapter by Theodore Epp, who you old timers will remember. This will help you know what evangelical Christians used to think about self esteem. And by the way, the book is full of illustrations of people who were helped by his counseling.

"Just because the world is worshiping at the modern shrine of psyche does not prove that God's program is failing to give peace to the hearts and minds of those who put their trust in the Lord Jesus. It simply shows that Satan is battling for the minds of men through his gigantic psychological propaganda, denying that man has a soul and placing therapeutic emphasis on the mind as the seat of fear, anxiety, worry, maladjustment and nervousness" (p. 10; his point is that these problems are rooted in the heart, not the mind).

"Too often I find that the Christians who are unable to re-establish their relationship with God by reading the Bible and praying have not truly repented of their self-will, self-love, self-trust, and self-exaltation" (p. 21).

"The fearful person is so completely absorbed with his fears that his mind is able to grasp only a small portion of what is spoken to him. This means that the greater portion of his thinking is bound up with self" (p. 68).

"Some patients are controlled by more pride than others; the ego, 'I,' self-esteem, must be guarded. How often have we heard this remark, 'I would not want to go to my pastor; he knows all about me!" (p. 71). I believe this is the only place the term self esteem occurs in the book.

"Jesus Christ and the apostles did not spend time expounded psychological theories of man; they preached the gospel. Psychology appeals to the mind. The gospel appeals to the heart" (p. 103).

6. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

"Jesus Christ and the apostles did not spend time expounded psychological theories of man; they preached the gospel. Psychology appeals to the mind. The gospel appeals to the heart"
    The truth will set us free!

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Self-esteem is a term used in psychology to reflect a person's overall evaluation or appraisal of his or her own worth. Self-esteem encompasses beliefs (for example, "I am competent") and emotions such as triumph, despair, pride and shame. Self-esteem can apply specifically to a particular dimension (for example, "I believe I am a good writer, and feel proud of that in particular") or have global extent (for example, "I believe I am a bad person, and feel bad of myself in general").

The term self esteem seems to be very wide in its definition. In fact it can cover pride which is sin. I would say that from a biblical view we are not to evaluate ourselves so as to promote some sort of self gratification. God is to do that. I would also say however that we are not to beat ourselves down with the idea of showing piety. Let us not judge anything before the time and living our lives for the Lord as anything more then this comes of sin.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'll be the fly the ointment. (What's new about that? :laugh:)

I'm one of those public school teachers - (you know, working for that "least accountable, least transparent government entity" as some here call it) - who taught my students that self-worth and self-esteem was a good thing.

And yes, I heartily encouraged them to try things that society had pigdeon-holed them to think that they could NOT do. Sometimes they failed or didn't find it to be their niche - but, hey - they tried something new. And it changed their thinking habits.

And yes, I yelled for the fat girl to run as hard as she could to first base in kickball knowing full well that she was going to be out before she got half-way there. She knew it, I knew it, and everyone else knew it. Why did I "cheer" for her to run knowing she couldn't make it without getting out? Somebody had to cheer for that kid. She got out - every time - but she never cried and she gained a little confidence to try other things. And she stopped looking down at the ground all of the time.

And yes, I told EVERY SINGLE CHILD that brought me a picture that they colored for me that it was WONDERFUL!

And yes, I told the boy who was as dumb as a brick that he wasn't. I told him that he learned differently than the average kid and that we would try different methods and ways for him to learn until we found one that clicked. I told him that he was smart and that we were going to find how to show that.

I don't believe in covering up a child's weaknesses and pretending they don't exist.

But if I had to go back and do the last 27 years over again the only thing that I would do differently is to do MORE challenging of my students to grow, think harder, try new things, like themselves in spite of their flaws, and get off the bench of life and get in the game - even when everyone else is telling you that you can't do it.

I don't understand this fundamentalist notion that we cannot teach our children to have a healthy esteem for themselves as God's creation and to make a life for themselves that strives for personal excellence even when - ESPECIALLY when - the world views them as worthless.

The world is cruel enough to the "different" kids. And it doesn't change when they become "different" adults. Why does the church have to strip away any esteem that could potentially help them to rise above the cruelty?

I've been here at the BB since 2002. I find that there have been some absolutely fabulous people here over the years and even today that I can't hold a candle to. I admire their walk for the Lord. And no, I won't name names.

But ironically, I find myself lurking more and posting less over the years. And I find myself in, not just a slight disagreement with, but more and more of a stark detachment with many of the things that I read. I've always considered myself to be conservative.

Maybe I'm not, I don't know.

I do love everybody here and think very highly of you. I just don't know what to do about the hair on the back of my neck standing up everytime I come here.

Pray for me. Pardon my bluntness, but maybe it's menopause. :laugh: :flower:

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is no question that your methods will bring you a great deal of praise in this life, but if you look at scripture and the God of that scripture your method totally goes against anything He ever does. He confronts with truth and never flatters. That is not to suggest that He speaks to do harm either. If He is the example and we are to follow Him and yet went against His model then I would have to ask myself who am I following? I think that it is very easy to justify our actions as long as they do not bring us persecution.
    Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
    It is a very good test as to if we have sought to live godly or comfortable in this world.

#29 freeatlast, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
  10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't flattering my young fat student when I told her to RUN to first base. I wasn't flattering her when I cheered for her. What should I have done? Since she was NEVER going to make it to first base, should I have just sat her on the bench and shoved a candy bar in her mouth and said, "Here, this is what you are REALLY good at."

When she failed every single time that she kicked the ball and ran to first base and got out, she WAS confronted with the truth. A very difficult truth. And I was not going to allow her to avoid it. I saw to it that she rose above it.

My dumb-as-a-brick boy WAS confronted with the truth when I had to keep him in as recess and after school to experiment with learning styles and try things with him that I didn't use corporately with his classmates.

He knew that his brain didn't function like everyone else's. I never denied that. I only taught him to believe that this had nothing to do with his ABILITY to learn - in SOME manner.

What would you have done with these children?

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, this is where you and I disagree.

I see the Apostle Paul showing humility here. And humility and a healthy self-esteem are not opposites.

"Lovers of their own selves" is sinful. It's placing your needs above everyone else's and your value above God's commandments.

But this sinful mindset and a healthy self-esteem are not synonymous.

12. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

But did you tell those kids what God thought of them? Did you tell them how much God loves them and that they are so worth His son dying for them? That's the most important aspect. You can encourage but was it just worldy encouragment fighting worldly discouragement?

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my Christian schools, yes. And in the public schools, I didn't pull out the Bible to do so, but I told them that they were created by Almighty God for a purpose. I led children to the Lord in both environments, just through different avenues.

I never said that it wasn't.

And the problem with that is ..... what?

Should I have stood on the pitcher's mound with my King James Bible screaming what a worthless, rotten piece of dung the fat girl was while she was running to first base?

(That was a little sarcasm.)

But really, should I having been yelling, "You are fearfully and wonderfully made!" while she was running to first base?

Tell me what YOU would have yelled at her. I know this is a sore topic because fundamentalists hate public school so much, but this thread is a prime example of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Hello Scarlett,
    Thank you for the question. First I was simply answering spirit of the entire post not certain individual parts. As to what would I do. Well probably fail in many areas. However knowing that I am prone to fail, and that I have no ability to know or understand what is right without looking at God through His revelation I would and so seek to be like Him in my actions based on what He has revealed of Himself.
    For instance let me give an example. my pastor preaches several times a week, and because of tradition at the ned of the message he usually goes to the back to send the people off to their homes. Many tell him (falsely) how good the message was and so on and who knows for some perhaps every message is good to them. However to me that is not the case. As I leave if the message was of a nature that was good I will tell him that I thank the Lord for that message. If I do not feel the message was good and many are not, I simply wish him a good day. I do not try and falsely build him up just to make him feel good or promote self esteem.

Another example is I have had a young girls approach a crowd I am in and someone comment on her looks. They may say " you really look nice today." However I may feel that she really looks immodest today. I do not confirm their statement and if am pushed for a statement or conformation, I would be honest with my response without directly saying something to harm the person trying to be as gentle as I could knowing that her spirit is weak and her understanding is ignorant and also the girl did not ask my opinion. I might say, changing the subject, "it is good to see you how have you been doing"?
    I apply that in every part of life. This is why it is not a good idea for someone to say to me in front of the pastor or anyone something trying try to get me to confirm their standards. I will not confirm something as positive if I feel it was not so. I might say to the person am glad that it spoke to your heart, or just smile at then with no answer.

The point is that when i look at the Lord through His word i see a God that does not sugar coat things to build us up (flattery) I also do not see Him as purposely tearing down someone without a cause. I am reminded that we are to be as wise a serpents and gentle as a dove.I am not there, but that is what I seek and i am in constant change to get there. Constantly guarding my words so as to come across with truth and yet not do undue harm.

15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Good self-esteem, I think, is more about being comfortable in one's own skin and having confidence. Healthy self-esteem is not a lack of humility.

Theologically, we have to be very careful when we talk about the "sin nature" or the "flesh" compared with the original nature of Creation, which was pronounced "very good" or even "super good."

Yes, sin is a parasitic presence that we cannot remove or outlast or outrun. It's there and affects our whole self.

But we are still image-bearers of the most high God and were created to be "super good." And we still are, though we're fallen.

If self-esteem is just about a lack of humility, that's one thing, but if it's about being confident in the person we were created to be, especially who we are in Christ, that's another, good thing entirely.

So much of what we hear in the more traditional evangelical church, especially Baptist churches (I'm sad to say) is that we are just so horrible and so sinful and rotten to the core. Well, if the image of God remains intact, that's not true, even though the presence of sin has obscured it. It's the truest and most salient part of who we are.

We're still fallen, and inherently sinful. We can't do anything to help ourselves. We depend on the mercy and grace of God. But only talking about how crappy we are all the time will do nothing other than beat people down and cause them to think horribly of themselves, then we haven't done what we're supposed to do. Sin is part of the story and it's part of the condition, but the good news is that we were created to be different and, through grace, we can be.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I've been meaning to get back to this thread but it is a busy week. Let me just say that many times people confuse 'self-concept' with 'self-esteem'. I will try to get back later this week to explain the difference unless someone else takes up the banner for me.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for contributing to this thread, Scarlett. :wavey: Now I'm going to surprise you. I would not disagree with any of these things you mentioned. I don't think they are true representations of the secular psychology doctrine of "self esteem," which is a technical term in psychology (though a rather vague one sometimes). Rather, they are examples of how the term self esteem has entered the public lexicon as a synonym for encouragement, which is a good thing. The Greek word parakaleo occurs 104 times in the NT, and is translated as exhort, comfort, beseech, encourage (in some translations), etc. That's what you are doing in these cases, not technically "building self esteem."
    First of all, you are not describing a "fundamentalist notion." Few fundamentalists take the time to study out secular psychology nowadays, though I took psychology courses at a fundamentalist school decades ago. Rather, the opposition to secular psychology comes from a broad spectrum of conservative evangelicals: Presbyterian Jay Adams (Competent to Counsel), Lutheran Don Matzat (Christ Esteem), etc.

Secondly, what I have opposed on this thread is not self image, but self esteem, two different teachings. I believe having a proper, Biblical self image is vital to the Christian life: we are made in the image of God, we are loved by God, we are valuable to God (not worthless) and can be used by Him in a special way. So with a "dumb" person such as Mr. Habazaki in our church (seems to be borderline Downs), I made him my special friend and evangelism partner. To Mr. U, a former drug addict, three times in the pen, I encourage his possible usefullness to God. And so forth.

Again, I appreciate you and your contributions here. And I respect you as a public school teacher. I went to public school and thank God to this day for some of my teachers. We home schooled, but have a public school teacher in our church who is precious.

18. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I don't know. (just wait :D )

I have read the pp's because I wanted to get this out first.

I think Paul understood the balance between self esteem and humbleness.

If you have self esteem with humbleness then you get arrogance. If you have humbleness without self esteem you get weakness of character.

Paul was humble before the Lord, but he also understood his value as a child of the King. You can't be content wherever you find yourself, without the confidence you have that the Lord will keep His promises. Paul's self esteem wasn't based on what Paul could do, but on what God could do. And that is the definition of self esteem we should strive for.

What passes for self esteem in our times is just selfishness in disguise.

My two cents.

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

True.

Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no.

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist