1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paul's Poor Self Esteem

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Jan 24, 2011.

?

Is self esteem Biblical?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2011.
  1. I think the teaching of self esteem is un-Biblical.

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. I think the teaching of self esteem is Biblical.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I don't know.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a different take on it. I think it was not humility Paul was showing per se in these passages, but he was teaching us that we need to truly understand our own sinful hearts in order to fully depend on God. Here is one take on it: "The apostle Paul didn't have a probleem--he considered himself to be the problem" (Tom Matzat, Christ Esteem, p. 49). It's like that old acrostic that teaches you to put yourself last:
    Jesus
    Others
    You
    Perhaps we need to define terms here. I'm not sure you and I mean the same thing by "self esteem." Here is a definition from Wikipedia (not the best source). "Self-esteem is a term used in psychology to reflect a person's overall evaluation or appraisal of his or her own worth." Wikipedia also gives "self-love" as a synonym of self esteem, contra your view. This is where I emphasize the meaning of self esteem in this thread. So if you are not using self esteem to mean self love, then we are talking about two different things.

I think most of the time the term self esteem means self love. In fact, whenever a Christian psychologist or counselor discusses self esteem, they invariably tie it to loving others as we love ourselves, thereby (in their terms) mandating self love. I'm sure I could give quotes on this from the Minrith-Meier-Wichern textbook, Gary Collins, Larry Crabb, James Dobson and other books I have. But the Bible nowhere commands self love. Christ slimply assumed everyone loves themselves. In fact, the Bible condemns self love in 2 Tim. 3:1-2.

#41 John of Japan, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
  2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I hope to goodness that they did not tell those kids that they were worthy of the sacrifice of Christ. I can't imagine a more egocentric blasphemy than that!

He did not die for people who were worth dying for- my stars, no!

Thank God he died for people like me who were INFINITELY unworthy!