1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Paycheck Sunday"

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I have been a faithful "tither" in my church for 10 years or longer even though I am not totally convinced that tithing is a New Testament doctrine. I realize that the church has bills that have to be paid and 10% of our income is the least that we can do, but now my church is having a "paycheck Sunday". My Pastor is making statements from the pulpit like "put God to the test" and " I know some of you wont have the faith to do this" etc. Believe me my church is in need of nothing and increased with goods. What do some of you think of this?

2. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Do you mean your Pastor is advocating that you offer your ENTIRE paycheck on this particular Sunday? There was a time that I got paid MONTHLY...so therefore, if I gave my paycheck, I'd leave with NOTHING!

Kathy
    <><

3. John Wells

John Wells New Member

First of all it certainly is not biblical. Has your pastor related the need for this extreme sacrificial giving? Knowing no more than you've told me, I believe my response to him would be, "I don't need to prove my faith to you. My faith is between me and God!" Sounds like your pastor may need a "checkup from the neck up!" That's just my reaction based on the little information that you've provided.

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: John Wells ]

4. Rockfort

Sounds like a lot of bunk. Does your pastor have enough faith to serve with no salary or other compensation all the time? Then how much of the time?

And get that joker to be specific about what he means by "put God to the test." Under what circumstances does God fail this test? Loss of car?... utilities turned off?... eviction? Whether this is a "test" (of any kind) largely depends on the current financial condition of the church members.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another gimmick that has been used to raise money in churches under the guise of developing spirituality among members.

Variation of "you-keep-10%-and-give-God-the-rest". I believe that pastors are well-meaning in wanting "faith" developed in members, and are just suckered in.

Baptists are such "faddists" - we must be the delight of marketers and schemers. Every new thing that comes along we "jump on the bandwagon", hurting who knows how many who sit back and think things through.

6. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ps104_33:
    My Pastor is making statements from the pulpit like "put God to the test" and " I know some of you wont have the faith to do this" etc. Believe me my church is in need of nothing and increased with goods. What do some of you think of this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it is despicable, and frankly, may warrant discipline against the pastor. What man of God goes directly against the commandment of Scripture to NOT test God?

Deut. 6:16 (ESV)
    "You shall not put the Lord your God to the test, as you tested him at Massah.

Matthew 4:7 (ESV)
    Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.' "

Luke 4:12 (ESV)
    And Jesus answered him, "It is said, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.' "

Acts 15:10 (ESV)
    Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?

1 John 4:1 (ESV)
    Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

GOD is the one who tests us; we are never to test him. Sounds like your "pastor" lacks the faith to believe that God will provide. :mad:

7. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

This ain't none of my business, since I am not a member of your church, but I think if it were me, it would be time to look for a new pastor. Completely agreeing with Chris Temple, whom I don't know, on this one. (BTW, nice to meet you).

Course with that said, my own experience is with a box in the back of the church, no plate passing, trying to embarrass folks to see who can one up the next.

8. John Wells

John Wells New Member

I'm sure the pastor was going on:

Malachi 3:10 (NASB95)
    “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.

This is one exception, Chris, where God tells us to test Him. But I do not think the pastor was applying God's call to test Him correctly.

9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scriptures say Let those lest esteemed in the church judge... Take it to those brethren and let them decide and not the high and mighty among men... Remember he may be a pastor but he is also a member like all the rest... Just my thoughts... Brother Glen :(

10. DocCas

DocCas New Member

If you are right with God now, in the area of giving, why change? Don't let anybody get you on a guilt trip. Give as the Lord leads, no more, no less. [​IMG]

11. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Wells:
    I'm sure the pastor was going on:

Malachi 3:10 (NASB95)
    “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.

This is one exception, Chris, where God tells us to test Him. But I do not think the pastor was applying God's call to test Him correctly.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you John, you're right. Of course I think the said pastor has ripped that way out of context. :mad: