1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PDAs / Palm Pilots

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by TomVols, May 24, 2002.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Okay, I'm looking to get one of these things. Do you have one? What kind? What does it do? What do you recommend?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question is, what do you want it to do?

Do you want a familiar operating system, or something you have to learn (but doesn't take long to learn--honestly).
    I personally don't like Windows CE; that said, the Casseopia, which uses Windows CE was recently rated as the top pick of all PDAs, mainly because it has 64megs of RAM. While my personal choice is the Handspring series, which uses the Palm operating system, Handsprings actually score low on the ratings because the maximum they can do right now is about 16megs.

The reason Handsprings score higher in my book is replacement: If you drop your Palm and crack the glass, you have to pay the $250 or more to buy a whole new unit. I believe Handspring still has a program where you pay only $85 and get a whole new unit (I could be wrong).

Do you want a Windows-type interface, or a DOS-type interface? The DOS-type interface--Palm operating system--also requires you to learn their "graffiti" handwriting system (which isn't hard; it just takes practice).

If you're gonna do this, you might as well get color, whichever operating system you choose.

Handsprings also have a slot in the back of them similar to the cartridge area of a Gameboy. This allows you to buy modules that will allow your Handspring to do literally anything, from becoming a cell phone, to playing Tiger Woods' Golf, to becoming a GPS unit. The drawback, and why Palms score higher, is that the modules are expensive; Palms use a cheaper "flash card" to do the same function.

I bought my Handspring with two things in mind: Appointments and Games. No matter which operating system you decide to go with, there are huge amounts of software--a lot of it free--to download and install on your handheld.

Since buying my Handspring, however, I use it as my permanent phone list, and the Memo function has become invaluable at the myriad meetings I have to attend.

The other thing that places Palm above a Handspring is batteries. On the one or two models of Handspring PDAs that use rechargeable batteries, you must haul your synchronizing cradle around with you if you're not going to be near the computer for a few days. In other words, you have to have the cradle to recharge the handheld. Palms allow you to pull their battery out and replace it, nixing the need to carry around the cradle.

One more major decision: wireless. Do you want wireless internet capabilities?

Handspring offers one model that you might be interested in as well: Their latest handheld is called the Treo, and is a cell phone attached to a PDA (you can see it at www.handspring.com). And I just read where it's about to come out in color.

If you're interested mainly in Windows CE, I can't really help you there.

But your first decision is what you plan on doing with the thing. Mine constantly beeps at me, telling me I have an appointment in an hour; if it didn't, I wouldn't make it to half the stuff I need to.

I know you were looking for a simpler answer; sorry, but there isn't one.

For a huge article on the Top 10 rated PDAs, go here: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,92905,00.asp

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I bought a Handspring Visor a little over a year ago. I love it. Everything I need to know in my pocket all the time. And an alarm to nag me as needed.

I got a leather case for it, and just don't carry a wallet anymore. I have my cards and money, and everything in that case, which is small enough to carry in a pocket. I got a little digital camera module for it, which isn't a great camera, but I've had some fun with it.

I guess I should upgrade, but I'm kinda attached to the one I have.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brought up a great point, which I forgot to mention: Pay the extra money, and get a good leather or protective case.

That alone will save you bucks every time you drop the stupid thing....

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I want it for an organizer, notes when I'm in meetings, be able to do some work on it (if I need to make notes for a sermon, do some typing etc. while waiting) so I'd like to get the portable keyboard. The internet wireless would be good but not a cross I'll die on. I don't want a laptop in my pocket, but I do want to be able to do the basics plus a little more. Little bit of Bible software would be nice. And of course, games! But I want to be reasonable in budget. I recently saw the Palm VII advertised for $199 (on one of those shopping channels) with case, cradle, keyboard, etc. Screen wasn't color, though that doesn't bother me too much.

Suggestions?

[ May 26, 2002, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Don, you're very helpful. I'm a neophyte at PDAs so the more info the better.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's only one resource for bible software on the PDA (well, only one that I recommend/use): www.olivetree.com

Your first decision: handwriting or Windows CE?

After that, you can start deciding which one you want to pay money for.

Palm VII I'm not that familiar with; I've been using a Handspring Visor Deluxe (basically a Palm III) for over a year and a half, and it does everything I need it to do (including games).

Try checking out the web page I provided, and looking at pros and cons of the "top ten."

9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I've had a Palm IIIxe for awhile. Not sa color screen, not wireless compatible, but definitely hard to live without.

I saw the same PDA offer on TV. It sounds like a great deal.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Like I said, I'm a neophyte, so please elaborate :cool:

How much memory does this take to run? I've seen info and this is the program I'd want.

[ May 30, 2002, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

12. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I decided to order a Palm m125 with the software for Word and excel docs and others for free. I probably won't use the internet much with it, just the basics and working on some memos, papers, sermons, studies, etc. Getting some Bible software for it and the like.

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I just ordered a Palm m125 yesterday. I hadn't previously seen this thread till I saw you reference it in another thread. I want to use mine for the phone book, to do list, things like that. I hate getting out away from the office and not having an address or a phone number for someone that I want to visit or call. It should be here in the next day or two so I am looking forward to getting it.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Check out the Bible software available. OliveTree and Laradian both have pretty good software available. If I can just find that golf game for handhelds I saw advertised somewhere... :D