1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl Harbor: 75 years ago today

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by carpro, Dec 7, 2016.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pearl Harbor Day 2016: Photos From the Attack
    Published 6:55 am EST, December 7, 2016 Updated 11:05 am EST, December 7, 2016 Comment By Shannon Walsh
    Share167 Tweet Share Email Follow

[​IMG]
    The surprise attack plan on Pearl Harbor was conceived by Japanese Admiral Isoruku Yamamoto, who died when codebreakers identified his plane and the US shot it down on April 18, 1943. The assault plan he designed was launched from six aircraft carriers and 24 supporting vessels. The intention behind Pearl Harbor? To paralyze the US Navy so Japan could expand in the Pacific. (Getty)
    Previous Image: USS Arizona During Pearl Harbor

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched the speech of declaration of war (remember when we did that?) by FDR. Wow. Talk about confidence that we would have total victory, "we will gain the inevitable triumph, so help us God.".

The story behind this speech, which FDR wrote himself, is interesting. He changed "a date that will live in world history" to "a date that will live in infamy". I like the rewrite much better!

(less than 5 minutes long)

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was back in the day when when we understood what "victory" was and what sacrifices it would take to get there.

I like the rewrite better myself.

4. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read an article from one of the survivors today. He was 19 at the time of the attack. The article talked about how he was watching body parts flying around during the attack, watching them splash and float in the water, watching men walking on deck nonchalantly while they were on fire, having whole parts of their bodies burnt off by the flames.

Makes you remember how fortunate we are.