1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pelosi is Brilliant

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Pastor Larry, Jan 15, 2009.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    President Bush was spending it in Iraq. Now it will be spent in the United States.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Maybe you should check that out a bit more.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need to. My statement is accurate, my Upside Down U.S. Flag friend.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't believe all the bad loans are from people who took loans they couldn't afford. That might account for some but even a blind man can see when half million people loose their job every month and unemployment is at 7% then there will be people (the unemployed) who can't pay their bills. I believe they fully intended to pay their bills when they took the loans or used the credit but fate turned against them and now they are unable.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ummm....it is incomplete therefore inaccurate.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My statement is accurate, just as I said. If you have a point to make why don't you make it instead of talking around the edges?

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No, it will still be spent in Iraq. Obama will get out of there at the same time Bush would have. And Obama knew that all along, but he couldn't say that and get elected. So we got "change" ... from Obama's campaign rhetoric to his actual policy.

But the fact is that you, KenH, who used to make a life out of complaining about the budget deficit on here, should surely be able to see the hypocrisy that Pelosi and others are engaging in. You can't complain about the Bush deficits while setting in motion a plan to create the biggest ever deficit (over $1 trillion dollars).

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Running huge budget deficits like President Bush did for several years while the economy was thriving was a dumb thing to do. To run huge budget deficits to kick start the economy from falling from a recession into a depression like President Obama is going to do is smart.

If President Bush and the Republican Congress hadn't run $500 billion yearly deficits for several years then the yearly deficit wouldn't be going as high as it will be this year.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

There have been two times in my life that I was in serious financial trouble.

One was "stupid tax." I made a slew of bad decisions.

One was events largely out of my control.

On neither occasion did it ever occur to me to ask other people to bail me out. It was my problem; thus, it was my job to handle it. Adulthood 101.

Sorry, but on a constitutional and a practical level, it is not the government's job to bail you, me, or anyone out of financial messes.

There is room for improvement in how the church helps people, no doubt (Though I think there are more churches out there doing a good job than people realize...they just don't toot their own horn).

If you bail me out of a mess that I've made...I learn nothing, and chances are very high that I'll mess up again. Adulthood 102.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Agreed...but I make two additions:

1. Your first sentence: Congress is also responsible.
    2. The congress in there now is not Republican...and if anything, they're going to go even crazier when it comes to spending our money.

You won't find me defending the Republican drunken sailors that ran congress until a few months ago. However...you all need to be consistent: If you are bothered by deficit spending, then you should be bothered with what the Democrats are about to do, as well.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

What? It's never good to run deficits, but it is especially bad when the economy is bad. We got the good economy when spending was less than income. This is like telling all these unemployed people to go out and run up big credit card bills because that will help them get out of trouble.

It won't.

It's been a Democratic Congress for the last two years who did nothing about it. So there is plenty of blame to go around.

You are an indication of the fallacy of blind loyalty ... just as bad as those who blindly supported Bush.

You need to go back to the Old Ken ... the really old one because you changed 20 times ... the one who supported conservative government in the mold of Ron Paul.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If running up the deficit is helpful when the economy is slow then how is it not helpful when it is moving? (Rhetorical question)

This is an excuse to implement that which there would otherwise be difficulty in doing so and nothing more. Add to that everyone who supports it knows it. This lacks any amount of intellectual honesty.

13. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm hoping Pelosi is a valuable tool in showing Americans that being a liberal is harmful to the country...

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fundamentally disagree with that position. Recessions are caused by a retrenchment in spending in the private sector. The public sector has to make up for this by filling the spending gap.

#34 KenH, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Nonsense. Recessions can be caused by a lot of things. The public doesn't have to make up for anything.

The government is spending billions of dollars it doesn't have. That is what created this problem to begin with ... people spent money they didn't have, and when the bill came due, they couldn't pay it. The fact that we can just tack it onto the federal debt doesn't make it okay.

Ken, you are sorely misguided. Go back to the old way.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Recessions are caused by less spending, less industrial production, less services provided.

The solution is more spending, more industrial production, more services provided.

If the private sector can't do this then it is incumbent on the public sector to do so...unless one wants to see a repeat of the 1930s.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

In a broad sense yes. They can also be caused by overspending and overproduction, which is what happened now. Let's face it, this was brought on, in large part because of a mortgage crisis where people spend too much money and then didn't have the money to keep up with it. Industrial production suffered because people stopped buying things. I live in the middle of it. Less than a mile from me is a plant that is shut down indefinitely because of production slowdowns in other places.

Not always. The solution may be getting prices back in line.

Many believe that the 1930s were as bad as they were because of public spending. But the constitution does not authorize the government to stimulate the economy. Your old principles of constitutionalism need to be revived.

You will die long before this tax bill comes due. But those who come after you will suffer the consequences of your philosophies. I have a 3 year old and a newborn who will have to pay for your misguided ideas. And I think it is shameful for you to put that on them.

Borrowing money can be a good thing in some cases. But it is always dangerous. In this case, it is not a good thing.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on this matter, Pastor Larry.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

a hat rack

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I suppose, but how can you possibly agree that spending 1 trillion dollars is a good thing? What happened to your fiscal conservatism of Ron Paul?

I am not sure anyone seriously thinks this is a good thing. They are simply buying votes. But at least they know that. And there are always people on the other end who are willing to be bought, just as we saw in this past election.

But why are the common people so deceived by it? Have we forgotten that these are politicians?

#40 Pastor Larry, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009