1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pen Scanner

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by panicbird, Dec 26, 2004.

1. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Does anyone know anything about pen scanners? They are highlighter-sized text scanners with which you can scan lines of text (from a book, article, etc.) and download onto your computer. They sound like they would be great research tools. The only problem is: are they worth it? Do they work? How reliable are they? Which one is best?

I have figured out that C-Pen (models 600C and 800C) and Wizcom (Infoscan, Quicklink-Pen, Quicklink-Pen Elite) are the best makers. Does anyone have any information on these (or others)?

Thanks.

Lon

2. natters

natters New Member

I too have been looking at pen scanners. I don't have answers for your questions, but I do have another option to be considered: http://www.docupen.com

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

I own a C-pen pen scanner model 800C and I am quite pleased with it...except for the connection cable. It is a serial 'D' 15 pin connector, and I did not take into consideration that interface when I purchased my Laptop which does not have such a connection. Therefore I cannot "take it with me" when I am using my laptop. Even the adaptor cables do not allow it to work when connected. I have tried to get a USB cable for it but apparently none is available.

The C-pen 800C is quite efficient so long as the paper from which you are capturing text or numbers is non-colored Bond paper. It sometimes works with newsprint. The image has to have high contrast for the OCR to function properly, and the user has to be able to draw the scanner along the printed text in a "straight line at a reasonably steady speed". You can also use a "straight edge" like a ruler as a guide, but then, you are spending quite a bit of time aligning to your work.

Is it worth the price? Quality of product is good to best, but only you can determine if the value gained is worth the price. Flatbed scanners are much more efficient, but not portable, and flatbed scanners nowadays are considerably less expensive than the $150.00 C-pen.
    Even so, I am quite happy with mine except as noted. I really like the "C-Direct" capability where you "copy" directly into your favorite computer application such as All of the Microsoft applications. I don't really use most of the other features of the pen except that it is battery operated and can be used separately from a computer and it can store a significant amount of data that can be downloaded once connected to your computer.

All in all I have received my money's worth of value from the 800C