1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Penance at Liberty University?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jun 29, 2010.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus did talk about being a servant. Is that too low for a pastor?

Did you forget what Paul wrote in 1 Cor 10:31, "Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

About as clear as mud.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could God create a rock He could not lift?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Think a little more clearly then.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Why don't you stop being intentionally vague and just get to the point which is what you should have done with the op.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How much clearer could it be to know that all you do should be done to the glory of God or is that something I should not assume that those who post on the BB already know?

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

uh huh...........

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

gb,

I'm curious since you've completely lacked a response to my posts in this thread, have you contemplated anything I've challenged you with?

In returning to the OP and your overarching concern, being an alumnus of the institution who served in many students roles within the administration I can tell you that you only have about 1/4 the view of the reprimand process in hand.

You have not included (likely because you just don't know about it) any information concerning the judicial review process for significant offenses and the role of the Deans' offices in helping students through difficult times.

Also you have not included a proper response from myself and several other posters who have said your view of penance is incorrect.

Any help with this would be great, I'm just befuddled by your thread and think your accusations are informed because you don't understand LU's process at all. Any reply would be nice. :)

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is not penance a penalty or punishment for sin? If so then using money as a punishment for something wrong parallels penance. Should I have said that it parallels indulgences (money for sin) instead?

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No its not. There is no priest in the process here. No one goes to a little confessional and airs their wrongs. You don't understand the process.

I think you're stretching and really have pulled something badly. It isn't penance and it isn't indulgences. You know better than this.

Indulgences would mean that they sell "get-out-of-jail" tickets that make the reprimand system moot.

At this point I think you're just being silly...otherwise respond the rest of my post. You clearly are ignorant of the process.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is my point.

All I know is what I read on their website. While it is clear that you disagree with me just show one passage in scripture that shows what LU is doing is biblical by making money as a part of their restoration (reprimand) system? Do you know of any church that uses that same system for poor behavior? I cannot even think of a secular school that does that. Can you?

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you even bother looking?

Illinios State University Disciplinary Sanctions
    University of Delaware Sanctions for Infraction of the Code of Conduct
    U C Berkeley Disciplinary Sanctions

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have worked at three universities and knew they had fines for things just like a city has. They do not claim to believe the Bible though. All of the universities you listed I am sure have police which are just like city and state police and act in accordance on legal issues including prosecution. They are like a city and work with city police too.

One place of industry where I worked an employee could be terminated but in most cases the employee was given the opportunity to get counseling and rehab. We had insurance for that. In each case I dealt with the employee came back to work and never tested positive again.

I was surprised that Delaware would notify parents unless the student is a minor. At none of the universities where I worked could we say anything to parents because of that issue.

If you knew how well the American system worked in rehabilitating people you would consider a failure.