1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pennsylvania flooding forces evacuations

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by poncho, Jun 28, 2006.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Up to 200,000 people in the Wilkes-Barre area were ordered to evacuate their homes Wednesday because of rising water on the Susquehanna River, swelled by a record-breaking deluge that has killed at least 11 people across the Northeast.

Thousands more were ordered to leave their homes in New Jersey, New York and Maryland. Across the region, rescue helicopters plucked residents from rooftops as rivers and streams surged over their banks, washed out roads and bridges and cut off villages.

Wilkes-Barre, a northeastern Pennsylvania city that was devastated by flooding in 1972 by the remnants of Hurricane Agnes, is protected by levees. But county officials said the Susquehanna was expected to crest just a few feet from the tops of the 41-foot floodwalls.

SOURCE

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

New York as well.

Mr. Daisy was coming home from Elmira today, but he had to turn back because so many major roads are closed. Mohawk River is 20 feet higher than usual - it may be a record.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I take it that he was on 86 (former 17) then? Was he able to make it to Binghamton?

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Yeah, but not much further. He's going to try again tomorrow.

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Mr. Daisy is stuck in a shelter in Johnson City - cots in a high school. A lot of the people there are evacuees whose homes got flooded.

He's ok, his car is ok. If it doesn't rain anymore, he should be able to get home tomorrow.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Glad to hear he's okay Daisy. You can check current travel conditions at this website.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

We are having problems here, too. In fact, believe it or not, the IRS, FBI, and National Archives had to close down and will be closed the rest of the week. The paper today said they might be closed for 7 more days.

A lot of bad flooding in MD. A few days ago, Reagan Nat'l Airport had to close (it's about 6 miles from me).

Hope Mr. Daisy gets home soon! :wavey:

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Thanks Poncho, Marcia.

9. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

What about the East Stroudsburg area? I have friends there. I haven't heard from them and tried to call this week.
    Hope Mr. Daisy makes it home safely! :praying:

10. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

My oldest sister lives in the Stroudsburg area. Haven't heard anything from her (but then she's not the type to tell folks much of anything :smilewinkgrin: ).

I heard that the Delaware River is supposed to crest sometime today.

11. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Any news from anyone on the flooding today?