1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured People need to learn to read and think critically!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 20, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many reject LS yet have not read Mac's books. I wish people learned critical thinking skills as so many lack the skill. The Bible is the word of God, but the problem by giving a Bible to a Charismatic, or a seeker friendly type, or postmodern type without a book to aid their interpretation is their gross neglect of proper interpretation, and their extraordinary ability to rip the Bible out of context and say what they want it to say when they teach/preach. A good book will help one better understand the message of the Bible and or various topics. I like good commentaries and good theology books. Authors like Mac, Washer, Piper, Sproul, Boice, Packer, and such should not be ignored.

But I ignore views of those whom have rejected LS or other doctrines such as Premillennialism eschatology whom have not read the books which match exactly what the Bible says! Okay yes I have read only a little on the opposing eschatology views, but yes I have read those views and find 10 times more support in the Bible for my position.

My challenge for you. Put away your iPhone/iPad/ or other tablet and Smart Phone and pick up your Bible and a good book and do some exhaustive study. Will you stop breathing if you can't go to Faecbook?

#1 evangelist6589, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did people believe before John MacArthur? You talk about Lordship as if everybody that comes to Christ asks, "How much sinning can I do and still make it to Heaven."

I hate to pop your bubble but there are folks getting saved every day that are being discipled by mature Christians. Yep! Folks being taught by loving, blood-bought, GENUINE converts, how to read and study the Bible, how to pursue holiness, how to trust God in all things... the list goes on.

My challenge for you is to put away all your books for a while. They've got you flitting all over the theological meadow like a bumble bee in a dandelion patch. I swear some day you'll read a book that says the most effective preachers wear bright colored shirts without a tie and you'll hammer the Brothers for not wearing bright colored shirts.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I am NOT saying you don't have to read other's readings to help in your studies, but always let the bible trump them. I have been reading "Sovereignity of God" by Pink, and it's really good. Yet, it's written by an uninspired man as he penned it.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly.. Which is why the scripture takes authority as I communicated in myOP if you read it.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read this?

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbs::thumbsup:

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Well said....and even without a reference to a book.

:applause::applause::applause:

8. quantumfaith

I suggest reading a good book on Calculus, Differential Equations or perhaps Infinitely Dimensnional Isomorphic Vector Space Theory.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You keep posting things like this....in an unknown tongue...you'll be labeled a pentecostal...:tongue3:

10. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read this? Biblical Theology of the New Testament by Charles Ryrie.

11. quantumfaith

You have no idea how a good read in math can help improve one's critical thinking abilities. :)
    BTW, I have many pejorative labels around here, one more won't hurt. :)

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad to have put Math behind me. I struggled in elementary and intermediate algebra, physics, Math for the educated citizen which has trig, statistics and all sorts of things in it, but I passed those classes ending in 2004 and they are done with yippee!!!!!

However Philosophy was interesting and helped me use logic an construct ideas, however its been a long time since I took the course. But I remember the syllogism, and I can easily point out the logical fallacy with the Teetotalist argument on alcohol which basically assumes that everyone whom takes a drink will become an alcoholic and they use all the negative examples in the culture to prove their logical fallacy. But when you challenge them with all those that have taken a drink and have not become an alcoholic they are speechless.

#13 evangelist6589, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
  14. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was that the one written by Newton, or einstein?

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Do you hold that ONLY those advocating Lordship salvation have the right Gospel message then?

And can you show where those like dr Ryrie, who hold to saved by grace a;one, thru faith alone, the doctrine of the reformers, states that its ok to be a saint and still keep on sinning, don't worry about it?

17. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::applause:

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I like Ryrie. He has a good book on dispensations.

Here is what he has to say on "regeneration":

“God regenerates (John 1:13) according to His will (James 1:18) through the sovereign work of the Holy Spirit (John 3:5) when a person believes (John 1:12) the gospel as revealed in the Word of God (1 Peter 1:23).”
    Charles C. Ryrie, The Holy Spirit

It is not the typical Calvinist speaking here.

19. quantumfaith

Newton.....one of the "inventors" of calculus. Einstein for new ideas on light, velocity, gravity etc.

Vectors spaces born out of Linear and Abstract algebras.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

Boy, back in March I said Evangelist had my vote for starting the most ironic thread ever;

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=2095451#post2095451

I didn't think it was possible, but John has one-upped his own self. :laugh:

Now, I have to give this thread my vote for most ironic thread of all time.