1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

People praying for sick people to be healed on TV

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, May 14, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I am just watching a video of a charismatic church which also broadcasts her church services and the pastor said he has the feeling that she shall send out the holy spirit over the TV and the internet in the whole country. And then he asked a few christians to come forward to pray for the sick, but they didn't pray they rather did this: "God heals you right now. Do you feel it? Do you feel the warmth all over you right now? This is God's love. Oh yeah, it's getting hot right now, do you feel it? The warmth all over you? This is God..." stuff.
    I don't know. I mean these people mean well but when I watch this stuff it rather pushes me away. I think about what must the people think which watch this and feel nothing and which are not healed at this moment. To them this must look like a joke and these people must seem like lunatics. :confused:
    I also wouldn't say such stuff. I mean how do these people wanna know that all those which are seeing this are being healed and feel this warmth all over? How do they wanna know this?
    I don't have anything against actually praying for people in a normal way, but this stuff isn't praying in my opinion, this is totally different.
    What do you think about this stuff? Would it also push you away? I simply cannot relate to this it just seems weird to me and when it seems weird to me then how much weirder will it seem to a non-christian? :confused: :(

2. mcneely

mcneely New Member

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!

It is as if these so-called "evangelists" are commanding God's will to heal these poor decieved people (or perhaps well-paid actors... :rolleyes: )
    This is flat out rediculous. Is it a wonder that these movements are gaining members by the droves? People are duped into believing that this preacher is given authority to channel God's power at will.

Another thing: these cash cow power living books. Every popular Televangelist now has their own book about "unlocking biblical secrets" to better marriages, living powerful lives, and gaining financial success. Hey, here's a tip: Stay away from credit cards, live whithin your budget, and pay your bills on time. TA-DA!!! This I think is a weak spot in the evangelical world. It just aggrivates me.

---Justin

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

This "you don't have to have defeat in your life" just order to book here "secrets to success,health,fame,prosperity and everything you ever wanted..." LOL!

This video was not from a TV evangelist but it was exactly the same style. I really ask myself how can these christians say something like this? Unless I REALLY knew that God is doing these things right now I would never say such a thing because all those which are watching and which are sick and are not healed will have a really bad day!
    Or do you think these people might be saying things which are really happening to some which are in front of the TV?

4. mcneely

mcneely New Member

God certainly has the power to heal those people, and more. But the issue is this: Glossy "holy roller" preachers, and Famous Mega-church pastors (and women pastors) Basically commanding the healing power of God at will, and cashing in on unsuspecting consumers purchasing their "quick fixit" Bible secret books.

The bible tells us about the power of prayer. But it ALSO warns against trying to command the will of God. Very foolish.

---Justin

5. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Actually, in agreement I would add that I could live with the Glossiness, after all the fame of Jesus preceded Him everywhere, *IF* they weren't so afraid of scrutiny...

*IF* in fact God is Healing on the scale they purport him to be healing, then, surely there is no problem finding medical evidence of the before and after?

I believe in Healing Prayer.

Both the Kind james talks about in Kames 5:14 and as a Manifestation of the Holy Spirit as a Charisma to the Church vested in select persons...

However, I believe that a case can be made that when Jesus healed someone He sent them to show themseleves to the Priests...

Jesus was sure enough of His healings that he wanted the person healed to be reassured by the medical Authority of His day...

This 'shyness' to produce verifiable records, IMHO, speaks volumes...

SMM

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I feel that we must bear in mind that the body of Christ has many parts. I do not neccessaraly agree with the above situation of sending the Holy Spirit out across the airwaves - internet to heal people. I think that they are getting a little overexcited in what they are trying to achieve.

There is a place for television evangalists. Some people certainley relate to that and are blessed through there ministry. The best thing that you can do with any of this stuff is critique what they are preaching against the word, and if it comes up short, you have a duty to contact the ministry and let them know and warn others of it also.