1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

People Who Dress Down for Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by FR7 Baptist, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Very true, again I have not said that what people wear matters I am saying it is my preference and if I needed to wear a muscle shirt and shorts to keep peace I would. I prefer and feel that God is honored when we wear our best and for some their very best may be a tee shirt and shorts. God is honored and recogniozes us by the heart not the window dressing. Although many on hear think I am legalistic because I like to dress and feel we should wear our best to honor God, even though I would never impose those beliefs on them.
    My wife feels uncomfortable wearing pants to Sunday morning worship she wears a dress, sunday night and wednesday she will wear pants does that make her legalistic too? To some on here it does they don't like us living by our convictions even if we don't impose those convictions on them. My son very seldom wears a suit my daughter wears a dress to morning worship but wearspants to other services their preference and choice.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Knew There Was a Reason I lLiked You....

.....You're a Coke man, and that is my favorite drink. Is there a Pepsi man or woman on the board to respond to this? LOL

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For Those Who Advocate Being Well Dressed for Church...

....will you be well attired when He comes for the church when the rapture takes place? And, will it matter what we are wearing when the rapture takes place.

Think of this like this: If being well attired for church is important, how much more important wil the moment of rapture be? After all, compared to a church service, the rapture is BIG.

Do you believe God will turn us away if we are not in a suit and tie, or ankle length dress?

I think not.

Clothing does not make the man, the man (and his heart) makes the clothing! :applause:

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

We will be clothed in
    Revelation 3: 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Revelation 4: 4 And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

Revelation 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
    14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

Seems we will be clothed in Fine Linen Clean and White the best and finest.

5. Whirlaway5620

Whirlaway5620 New Member

My pastor doesnt dress up, he doesnt want to be formal and I love this church for that. I love on football Sundays we can wear our jerseys and jeans and he will also. You will never catch me in a dress or dress slacks. Most of the time its nice jeans and a nice top, I wear khakis all week at work, I dont feel like dressing up to go to church.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting

7. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I'm going to share with you people what I'm wearing to church tomorrow. I'm wearing my medium gray suit, my solid blue shirt with white contrast cuffs and collar, my light purple tie with little white dots on it, my silver-colored cufflinks, gray socks, a black belt and my black cap toe oxford shoes. :thumbs:

8. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

I am wearing a blue blazer, OCBD white shirt, Khaki slacks, argyle socks, pair of tasseled loafers, a Turnbull and Asser Repp tie....too warm to wear the tweed just yet. I think the weatherman said 89F tomorrow....

#88 govteach51, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
  9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am up and dressed for church. Dark blue chinos and a blue and green checkered open necked short sleeve shirt.

10. FundyPat

FundyPat New Member

I got one thing to say about this bunch of stupidity. YOU buy ME the clothes to dress like a PIMP and I'll wear 'em.

Otherwise, shut your pothole. :mad:

NEXT!

11. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

This is the most ridiculous statement I have ever seen......You need to know how to buy the clothes......Trust me, I taught at a school that was number 980 out of 1030 districts in pay. You never pay retail.

Blazer-$ 5.00
    shirt-.25 cents
    pants- 75 cents
    socks- $2.75 ( Buy them at Target)
    Shoes- $3.99
    Tie- .99- Goodwill bin a $135 brand new tie, still had tags on it.
    Entire outfit= less than $14....

Even if I gave you the $14, I doubt you spent the time and effort to buy the clothes.
    BTW: When I did mission work in New Orleans and Laredo, I met several pimps and ladies of the evening. You would be hard pressed to find one that looks like either Paul or myself.
    Secondly, the term "Pothole" to my high school students means a user of marijuana. I am not now, nor have I ever been a user of marijuana. Please keep up with the ever changing "slang."

#91 govteach51, Oct 16, 2011
  12. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Today, I am wearing jeans and a polo shirt.

Again, I think there is no command nor principle in the Scripture on what to wear. Rather, go and worship the Lord in gladness.

13. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

And I'm sure all of you will look nice and modest. :D

(btw, today it will be black slacks, a matching floral tank and a black sweater thingy. But then, I've been up since 5 and already made the 120 mile round trip to the airport and back so I have a little extra time to "make myself pretty". :rolleyes: Normally, oh wait, this is normal for Sunday morning lol, just not the 5 o'clock wake up. I'd consider wearing a dress but, I don't seem to own one. :D )

14. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't question your friend, but the first time I heard a story like that I must have been in my early teens. The preacher said that is why he wore bib overalls to church to preach. He had said he wanted to reach the young people. The only difference in him and some of our other members who wore bib overall is that ours wore a white shirt and tie with their's.

For the most part I don't wear a suit today to church, times change, attire changes, but the young have always pushed for change. Watch old ball games from the 50's back, most all men wore a suit and tie. People wear what they want.

15. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

And it has lead us to a society in which people now just DO what they want...It is part of an overall big picture...

16. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Well the church I attend here on the road the pastor wears a tie with his dress shirt and sometimes a jacket. Since I am on the road and don't have my suits with me I will wear my green slacks and a dress shirt. They are the best I have here on the road.

17. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I believe it always has been people doing what they want, maybe a little less in church in the past. I know many teens when I was in my teens got in trouble for wearing pegged legged pants, then in college bell bottom pants, as well as real thin lapels and real thin ties. In college and seminary the sandals and wild looking tee shirts. The worse trouble I got into at church was getting a crew cut hair cut, why most of the ones getting into trouble and spending time in jail had crew cuts. My father in law said he was ask to leave church because he didn't wear a belt.
    What gets me today as well as yesterday is for their big outings they still dress up rather well or spend a lot of money on it. No, I don't think times changes much, it is just what your family has taught you and what they will allow you to do.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There all dead....so now, what do I do? will concede that I still listen to mums advise on wearing clean underwear! :laugh:

19. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Wow, not much surprises me, but a thread on the BB about "what are you wearing?" :laugh:

Okay, today was black dress pants, a red silk shirt, and black open toed heels. Yes, open toed! I know!
    It doesn't much matter, I could wear my jammies and nobody would be the wiser because the choir robe buttons high on the neck, is very loose and long sleeved, and comes almost to my ankles. I guess that means technically, I wear the same thing every Sunday. A long burgandy flowing robe. I'm very holy, right? :smilewinkgrin:

20. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like it.
    I used to love to wear my beige elk-skinned cowboy boots, (along with designer jeans, fitted western dress shirts, and cool leather belt) but the boots got a hole in them; they became too holy. So I went to the "business casual" look, but whenever I'm able to find a new pair of the same kind of boots and am willing to fork out the $400 for them I will once again be in my non-holy zone.

#100 Benjamin, Oct 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.