1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Perfection

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Darrell C, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Olegig.

Hi Olegig, I only have a few minutes right no, but did want to respond to your reply (I am enjoying the dialogue, by the way). I will delete the sections we are in agreement on.

Well, I've run out of time for now. I'll try to get back to this one later.

I also need to get the actual study going. This I greatly would appreciate the views of fellow believers on.

The contrast between O.T. Hebrew faith and N.T. Hebrew faith is one thing (as you pointed out) that is overlooked in this book.

Another quick note concerning the gospel. It is preached in John, but the word gospel (to my knowledge) is not used. But this is one of the great books explaining the gospel.

Gotta go for now,

God bless.

2. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi to all,

Just a quick reply to make sure it will post (had a problem for some reason before, and a "fatal error" came up).

I will present the verses that will be the foundation of the study, in which the word perfect/complete are used in various form representing the same concept.

Once you have looked at the key verses, we can look at the passages individually and discuss context.

Those who study greek can be a great help to this study ( I am a poor student) and their input would be valued.

God bless.

3. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews

2:10-For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect (5048) through sufferings.

5048-teleioo: from 5046; to complete, i.e. (lit.) accomplish, or (fig.) consumate (in character). Translated: consecrate, finish, fulfill, (make)perfect.

5:9-And being made perfect (5048), he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

5:14-But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age (5046), who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

5046-teleios:complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); completeness. Translated: (of) full age, man, and perfect.

6:1-Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection (5047), not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

5047-teleiotes-(the state of) completeness (ment. or mor.). Translated perfection (ness).

7:11-If therefore perfection (5050) were by the Levitical Priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need was there that another priest should arise after the order of Melchisadec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

5050-teleiosis-; from 5048, (the act) completion, i.e. (of prophecy) verification, or (of expiation [to make amends for]); absolution [remission of sins].

7:19-For the law made nothing perfect (5048), but the bringing in of a better hope did, by the which we draw nigh unto God.

7:28-For the law maketh men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated (5048) for evermore.

9:9-Which was a figure for the time present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect (5048).

10:1-For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which were offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect (5048).

10:14-For by one offering he hath perfected (5048) forever them that are sanctified.

11:39-And all these, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise.
    40-God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect (5048).

12:2-Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher (5051) of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

5051-teleiotes-from 5048; a completer, i.e. consumater: -finisher.

Please look through these and see if an evident contrast of the Old and New is made clear.

Would like to know your thoughts on these.

God bless.

4. olegig

olegig New Member

Hello Darrell,

First let me apologize for not replying sooner, it has been a busy week and I appreciate your prayers and understanding.

I wish to respond to things from #21 although I don't think I can give all points therein proper response.
    I will touch on a few and we can go into them deeper later if needed; but I don't want to get "derailed" from Hebrews.
    I may pickup the later points first just to get them out of the way. I will be placing the things you said in blue....

I think some feel that when a Jew is saved, they must sacrifice all of their heritage. This is akin to those who think because we are not saved by the Law, we must ignore it. Both are in error.

Let me just say here that I do believe when a Jew is saved today they should pay attention to Col 2:16 just as any gentile should.
    However they do have a rich heritage which can be a very beautiful form of worship; but should not look to it as any support of salvation.

But it seems the converted Jews at the very first of the NT were some of the ones causing Paul the most grief. They were the ones trying to lay all kinds of legalistic things on the new converts of Paul. Paul addressed this in Gal 1:6ff calling this not another gospel, but a perversion of the gospel of Christ.
    IMO this was the basis of the argument at the council of Acts 15.
    Acts is a transitional book between the old and new, so it not unusual to see those early believing Jews in transition.
    We see Ananias described in Acts 9:10 as a disciple but also in Acts 22:12 he is described as a devout man according to the law.

Strangely, scripture implies that in the millennial kingdom Hebrew customs will be in place (see Zech. 14 for an example). I don't completely understand this, but haven't spent too much time trying to reason it out.
    I see mention in the OT of many Jewish customs in place in the millennial kingdom. They will go annually up to Jerusalem to worship the King and gentiles will grab hold of their cloak to go with them.
    I do not find it strange for I see it as finally the perfect promised land.

As far as the collective body of believers, I see them as one group, with possibly the exception of those in the Church age (again, some of my thoughts are speculation: such as, I think the Church will minister to millennial kingdom saints [believers] similiar to the ministry of angels. Again, it isn't something I necessarily believe, but speculate about).

Here again, I feel we should look to the promises God made to each group. The promises are different, so thus will be the groups.
    The Jew was promised a land and the Church age believers are promised a glorified body.

If you mean that our standing before God is "stainless" in the sense that Christ's righteousness is what our eternal fate is judged by, I would agree.
    Yes, God sees us through and in Christ. When God looks on us, all He sees is the righteousness of Christ.

The ministry of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament was different than that in the Church Age (sorry, its the best term I have for it), He was, in my opinion, indwelling people at that time. I also believe He will revert to this ministry in the tribulation and Millennial Kingdom.
    Here I don't know if the above came out like you wanted....
    I would term it that in the OT the Holy Spirit visited men while in the NT the Holy Spirit indwells the believer.
    I too feel that the Holy Spirit's relationship to the believer in the tribulation will be much like in the OT.

Notice in 1 Samuel 10 the Spirit of the Lord coming upon Saul (He leaves Saul later); notice in 1 Samuel 16 the Spirit of the Lord comes upon David from that day forward.
    Here I would refer to what I said earlier concerning the Davidic Covenant.
    And I do agree king Saul had it and then lost it.

Another quick note concerning the gospel. It is preached in John, but the word gospel (to my knowledge) is not used.
    As with the passage from Rev concerning the Everlasting Gospel, I see nothing in the 4 gospel accounts that would lead me to feel those hearing any of the accounts believed in the death, burial, and resurrection.
    All I can gather is they believed that Jesus truly was the promised Messiah, the Son of the living God as Peter said.

And, I hope to expand on this thought, the gospel is found in Hebrews. Keep in mind, the gospel is preached in Matt., Mark, Luke, and John, it is the same gospel, we can be sure from Heb. 4:1,2 as well as Paul's statements that there is one Gospel (albeit indirect).
    Let us consider Heb 4 for a while......

Hebrews 4 (King James Version)
    1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
    2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
    3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
    4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
    5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
    6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
    7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
    8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
    9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
    10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
    11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

First please note in the above passage no mention of heaven or eternal life, words which would be associated and understood by Church age believers.

IMO the setting for the passage is revealed in vs 4.
    The original Sabbath was a seventh day rest of God Himself (Gen 2).
    It was revealed to Moses on Mt Sinai (Neh 9:13ff) as a holy Sabbath. (Yet again the Jewish religion is truly God's religion)
    Keeping the Sabbath, the seventh day, was given to Israel as a sign (Ez 20:20) because God foreknew Israel would sometime in the future be converted and be head of all nations in the seventh millennium!
    Please remember what Peter said about a day to the Lord is like a thousand years and a thousand years like a day.
    There were six days of creation and rest on the seventh.
    There will be 6 one-thousand yr periods and then a one-thousand yr period of rest.
    And vs 4 above is referring to this last period of rest.

IMO this passage, along with the whole book of Hebrews is preparing the people of God, the Jews, to enter into their promised land, the thousand yr millennial reign of Christ.

This final entry was first rehearsed when Joshua and Caleb said yes, we can go in and take the land, but they did not go in because of what??
    They did not enter into the land because of their unbelief. (Heb 3:19)

IMO the book of Hebrews is doctrinally directed toward the Jew during the Tribulation and giving them encouragement to not take the mark, to keep the commandments, and to endure to the end.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Olegig,

Just a quick reply (its late).

Glad to hear from you.

I see a continuity in scripture that joins each of the Covenants: All will be fulfilled in eternity (yes, even the "Law"/mosaic covenant, in the sense that it was fulfilled in Christ).

The New Covenant is complete, whereas the law (Old Covenant) was not.

The heritage of the Jews, I agree, does not add to the work of Christ.

But I don't see two groups as far as eternity goes concerning believers. The "rest" I see as entering into "the promised land", the true: heaven (the presence of God.

Hebrews leads the Judaizer from the basic principles to the perfection (fulfillment of the law, literally, and in prophecy).

When they "leave" the basic principles, they don't forsake them, but move past them (as a starting point).

The law (Old Covenant)-a picture of what was to come.

The New Covenant- the fulfillment (the appearing of what was in that picture).

As Christians, we don't despise the law (neither do we try to be saved by fulfilling it).

Concerning the Holy Spirit, indwelling was probably not the best way to put it, perhaps "came upon" would be better. But it was still the working of the Holy Spirit.

I would probably point to Thomas and the two disciples on the road to Emmaus concerning those who believed in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.

Concerning Hebrews 4:

Again, the true rest is Heaven itself, I believe.

I do agree that the 6000/1000 years can be compared with the 6 days/1 day of creation (it makes perfect sense to me).

The main thrust of Hebrews is to persuade Jews (Judaizers) to leave the basic principles of Christ found in the Law (used euphemistically of O.T. scripture, and also found in the Psalms and Prophets) and move on to the perfection in Christ.

Which is the reason for the study on "perfection".

It will help us to understand Hebrews' teaching on Christ and the believer, and, I think, give the true believer assurance as no other book can.

Anyway, look at the verses, and tell me your thoughts on them.

God bless, brother.

6. olegig

olegig New Member

Hey Darrell,

Just a question here for clarity of positions.
    Do you feel the Christian today is under the New Covenant of Heb 8:8?

To fully develop this concept one must start with the Abrahamic Covenant. There we see two parts to the promise, one a promise of an earthly land, and the other part is heavenly (of the stars in heaven).
    Paul refers to the Church age believers as being under the heavenly part.
    Then we go on to where Paul mentioned the Jew, gentile, and the Church of God.
    Then we see one group caught out before the tribulation begins, and another group on earth during the tribulation just as we saw Enoch caught up before the flood and Noah being protected during the flood.
    Then we see one group on earth worshipping the King, going up to Jerusalem annually,,,etc and the other group ruling and reigning with Christ.
    A study of the resurrections also shows a separation.
    Then we see a new heaven and a new earth.
    Then we see some eating of the tree of life monthly,,,,,,the believer today is promised eternal life, not access to a tree.

The above is just a short summary of the separation I see maintained in scripture. I did not take the time to give all the references, but we can search them out and I feel anyone who has studied the scriptures is familiar with the concepts I mentioned.

Here, I am not clear by what you mean with the term "Judaizer".
    Again, I feel Hebrews is doctrinally directed to the Jew who finds himself on earth during the 7yr tribulation and giving him direction and instruction from God.

Here I feel the main thing is that we agree the Holy Spirit could and did leave (at various times) the OT saint.
    While the Holy Spirit cannot and does not leave the NT believer.

I would point to Peter and his recorded preaching.
    Does Peter in Acts 2:38 make mention of just believing on the death, burial, and resurrection and nothing else?

Yes, the true rest is Heaven, but many times tradition has led us to look to Heaven as a great spiritual meeting place in the sky.
    Heaven is a creation, it is physical and the scriptures continually speak of Heaven coming down to earth.
    IMO "Heaven on earth" is the same as return to the original intent of God, the garden of Eden.
    I think this concept should be considered when studying future events.

I am looking forward to the study and God bless you.

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello brother Olegig,

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings to all,

Hopefully by this time you have spent time with the Lord in the book of Hebrews, one of my favorite books.

As has been suggested by one brother, if for some reason Acts through Philemon should be taken away from those who seek God, what conclusion would seekers come to.

I would suggest they would be pointed to Christ, inevitably, for He is the Spirit of prophecy, and the fulfillment of God's revelation concerning mankinds salvation.

The theology of today is so diverse that one wonders how there could be so many viewpoints concerning interpretation.

This is not something I wonder about, because I see the division of lost and saved as the "many" (lost) and the "few" (saved). That is not to say many will not be saved, but that of the current population (of any age), many will be compared to few.

The imposition of "religiosity" into Christianity is inevitable, as it was in Judaism. Mankind has a hard time in possessing faith in the God who said "I am the Savior": he must get in the last word.

I believe we have entered the "eleventh hour", and that it is imperative we need to put more emphasis on proclaiming the Gospel, and in the process give God glory for His infinite mercy.

Battling works-based faiths is a harder proposition than that of atheism, because we are dealing with a condition older than Godlessness: religion.

Maintaining scriptural integrity without giving an impression of easy-believism and license to sin may be difficult, but not impossible.

The doctrine that teaches faith-plus-works is in my opinion one of the greatest enemies of the gospel, because it draws one away from faith in God through Jesus Christ, and teaches self-reliance in self.

Battling the religious mind is one of our great battlefields, and the best defense is a good offense.

Examining the scripture used by the religious is where to start, and Hebrews of all books, in my estimation, is one of the best places to start.

As scripture interprets scripture, we can often go back in scripture to find meaning in a text. This is true of scripture as a whole, and can be true book by book.

As the study title suggests, "perfection" as found in the book of Hebrews is a little misleading, for the human mind will automatically try to place a concept from the first century into 21st century terms.

This leads the casual reader to automatically deny that human perfection is impossible (and the conclusion is right) and therefore miss the entire meaning to be found.

Perfection in Hebrews does not speak of human perfection (temporal), but the completion found in faith in Christ.

It speaks of our standing before God in His Son.

As we look into this book, we can see the perfection in God's plan, and rejoice.

Again, if you have not yet studied the supplied verses, please do so.

Just the reading of these verses themselves will give an indication of the glorious truth that all glory belongs to God and His Christ...and that what He has said He will do, He has done.

*God bless the reading of your Word, and open the scriptures to us*

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perfection in Practice

Hebrews 13:20-Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

21-Make you perfect (2675) in every good work to do his will, working in you that whichis wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

2675-katartizo, (kat-ar-tid'-zo); from 2596 and a derivative of 739; to complete thoroughly, i.e. repair (lit. or fig.) or adjust: Translated fit, frame, mend, (make) perfect (ly join together), prepare, restore.

Is it coincedence that this word is different than that of our key verses? I have yet to find coincedence in the workings of God.

Rather, our context is inarguably dealing with the temporal life of the believer.

13:1-Let brotherly love continue.

2-Be not forgetful entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

3-Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body.

4-Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

5-Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave nor forsake thee.

6-So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

7-Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

8-Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever.

I will try to keep my commentary to a minimum, and rather, let the passage speak for itself.

But as we step into the pages of Hebrews, I see this as a good place to start, in recognizing where temporal is contrasted with eternal; as well as shadow contrasted with true.

The Spirit points out qualities to be found in our lives:
    Love(v.1), kindness (v.2), compassion (v.3), faithfulness (v.4), pure testimony, contentedness, and faith in Jesus[c.f. v.5 w. v.8] (v.5), fearlessness [again, faith in Christ] (v.6), submission/humility (v. 7), and again, confidence in Christ as our saviour (v.8).

I will pause here for two reasons:
    1-For thoughts from you (agreement/criticism);
    2-Sometimes I have a problem posting, and am reticent to type too much at a time ( I am computer illiterate).

God bless

10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perfection in Practice II

We continue to establish this passage to refer to the temporal life of the believer, with instruction in righteousness for our lives.

To see the difference between the life of a believer as opposed to the position of the believer before God.

13:9-Be not carried away with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

10-We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle.

11-For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp.

12-Wherefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

13-Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

14-For here we have no continuing city, but we seek one to come.

15-By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

16-But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

17-Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

18-Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.

19-But I beseech you the rather to do this, that I may be restored to you the sooner.

Again, we see in this the life of the true believer on earth, and God's expectation of our lives.

As we explore Hebrews further, we will see the explicit reference to the position of the believer in Christ and its eternality by virtue of Christ's death.

God bless.

11. olegig

olegig New Member

Hello Darrell,

from # 47...olegig in red, Darrell in blue..

Just a question here for clarity of positions.
    Do you feel the Christian today is under the New Covenant of Heb 8:8?

I do.
    I wish in the interest of time I had also asked if you feel the New Covenant of Heb 8:8 is the same as in Jer 31:31ff and further described in Zec 13:3.

I will respond as if you do, for most equate the two; however if you feel they are not the same, then I would ask where in scripture is the description of the New Covenant of Heb 8:8.

First-- I must again say I do not feel, nor see in scripture where the Bride of Christ is ever equated with the house of Israel or Judah.
    Spiritual Israel, perhaps, meaning that part of Israel that has accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as saviour.
    But "the house of" is a reference to physical Israel.

Second-- Please read the account of the New Covenant in Jeremiah 31 paying special attention to vs 34.

34And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Do the things of vs 34 sound anything like what we know to be our instructions from God today?
    Are not we to teach every man? Does everyone know God?

And please look at Zec 13:3, is that of today when parents should "thrust through" a son who prophesieth (teaches)?

I say again, the scriptures maintain separation between the Jew, gentile, and church of God, and I feel we should as well.

I know there are those who deny we are under the New, based on the fact that it was said to be for Israel
    But if you see the saints of all ages as belonging to God (the people of God), you will see His blessings are meant for that group.

Is not basing it on the fact that it was said to be for Israel enough?????
    I do see the saints of all ages as belonging to God; but I also see the term "people of God" as referring to the wife of God, Israel, as in "chosen people" while the Bride of Christ is separate.

We see types and examples all through scripture because when God does something He does it right the first time so therefore every time it is repeated it is done the same.
    Abraham sent his servant to bring a bride for Isaac and Isaac's bride was not Abraham's wife.

Paul said God "hath made us able ministers of the new testament" (2 Cor. 3:6), and it should be noted that I believe firmly he spoke of the New Covenant, not the "new testament" as in the collective books of the New Testament. Testament and Covenant are the same word.
    Are they indeed the same word? If they mean the same, then why does the Holy Spirit in the book of Hebrews go to lengths explaining their difference? (Heb 9:15ff)

Here I would repeat in agreement with something said in post #29.
    Is it coincedence that this word is different than that of our key verses? I have yet to find coincedence in the workings of God.

And...in Ezekial 36 (esp. 24-27), we see characteristics of the blessing of the New Covenant, and this I believe to be what Nicodemus should have thought of when the Lord asked him, "Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?"
    I totally agree the passage from Eze 36 gives characteristics of the blessing of the New Covenant; but please do not stop with vs 27 for vs 28 is Jewish through and through.
    Where is the Christian promised a land that was given to our fathers?
    The Christian is promised a Glorified Body.

IMO things that are different, are different; and things that are separate, are separate.

And please consider when Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus the parenthetical Church age was yet a mystery revelation of which was dependant upon all Israel accepting Jesus as the promised Messiah.

I refer to my speaking of taking out the books written by Paul, and yes, in that senario the New Covenant of Heb would have been instigated shortly after the passing of the Old.
    But because of Israel's rejection of the First Advent, everything Jewish has been put on hold until the fulness of the gentles be come in and then all Israel will be saved. (Rom 11:25ff)

This is an interesting concept, but one I will have to bear in mind when looking at scripture. Something like this will take much study to come to a conclusion on.
    Yes it does, and it has.
    I tell my SS class students it is much like the "color" commentator on a TV football game. He must know the role and responsibility of each of the 22 players before he can give the game just comment.

Please understand, I do not believe in "easy-believism".
    And nor do I....I believe, just as revealed through Paul, that the lost of today are to believe on the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ plus nothing, not repentance, not "saying the sinner's prayer", not water baptism, nothing,, for all these things come after belief and are made effective by the working of the Holy Spirit in one's self.
    But I find nothing "easy" in the above for it seems to be very difficult for the world to grasp and follow.

There is only one gospel.
    Gospel means "good news"...
    Did Peter know anything of the indwelling Holy Spirit as earnest of salvation until that good news was revealed through Paul?
    Did Peter tell his audience of Acts 2 the good news that all one must do to be saved is to believe on the death, burial, and resurrection as revealed through Paul, or did Peter tell his audience the good news of having to first do the work of repenting and water baptism?
    Did Joshua and Caleb know the good news of the free gift of salvation as revealed through Paul when they stood at the entrance to the promised land or did they only know the gospel (good news) of armed victory with God leading them? (Num 13:30; 14:9; Ex 34:11 Josh 14:5-14)
    Are the present day Jews operating under the good news revealed through Paul or are they operating under the gospel of Zec 12:1-7.

Again, in all humbleness, I say things that are different, are different.

We will one day be spiritual, and there wil be a physical aspect to this (as the Lord ate, after glorification), but I really don't know the fulness of what is to be.
    If this is our eternal state, then is it not far more real than what we see today?

Darrell, I realize our conversations over the last few days are not really where you would wish to take this thread; therefore it is fine with me if you wish to focus more on the study than on replying to my rants....

have a great weekend....and God bless

12. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Brother Olegig,

I love responding to rants (the spice of life).

Plus, it can take us into the next part of the study.

God bless...be right back.

13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First-- I must again say I do not feel, nor see in scripture where the Bride of Christ is ever equated with the house of Israel or Judah.
    Spiritual Israel, perhaps, meaning that part of Israel that has accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as saviour.
    But "the house of" is a reference to physical Israel.

Second-- Please read the account of the New Covenant in Jeremiah 31 paying special attention to vs 34.

34And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Do the things of vs 34 sound anything like what we know to be our instructions from God today?

And please look at Zec 13:3, is that of today when parents should "thrust through" a son who prophesieth (teaches)?

I say again, the scriptures maintain separation between the Jew, gentile, and church of God, and I feel we should as well.

Is not basing it on the fact that it was said to be for Israel enough?????

I do see the saints of all ages as belonging to God; but I also see the term "people of God" as referring to the wife of God, Israel, as in "chosen people" while the Bride of Christ is separate.

We see types and examples all through scripture because when God does something He does it right the first time so therefore every time it is repeated it is done the same.
    Abraham sent his servant to bring a bride for Isaac and Isaac's bride was not Abraham's wife.

Paul said God "hath made us able ministers of the new testament" (2 Cor. 3:6), and it should be noted that I believe firmly he spoke of the New Covenant, not the "new testament" as in the collective books of the New Testament. Testament and Covenant are the same word.
    Are they indeed the same word? If they mean the same, then why does the Holy Spirit in the book of Hebrews go to lengths explaining their difference? (Heb 9:15ff)

Here I would repeat in agreement with something said in post #29.

Where is the Christian promised a land that was given to our fathers?
    The Christian is promised a Glorified Body.

IMO things that are different, are different; and things that are separate, are separate.

And please consider when Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus the parenthetical Church age was yet a mystery revelation of which was dependant upon all Israel accepting Jesus as the promised Messiah.

I refer to my speaking of taking out the books written by Paul, and yes, in that senario the New Covenant of Heb would have been instigated shortly after the passing of the Old.
    But because of Israel's rejection of the First Advent, everything Jewish has been put on hold until the fulness of the gentles be come in and then all Israel will be saved. (Rom 11:25ff)

There is only one gospel.
    Did Peter know anything of the indwelling Holy Spirit as earnest of salvation until that good news was revealed through Paul?
    Did Peter tell his audience of Acts 2 the good news that all one must do to be saved is to believe on the death, burial, and resurrection as revealed through Paul, or did Peter tell his audience the good news of having to first do the work of repenting and water baptism?
    Did Joshua and Caleb know the good news of the free gift of salvation as revealed through Paul when they stood at the entrance to the promised land or did they only know the gospel (good news) of armed victory with God leading them? (Num 13:30; 14:9; Ex 34:11 Josh 14:5-14)
    Are the present day Jews operating under the good news revealed through Paul or are they operating under the gospel of Zec 12:1-7.

Again, in all humbleness, I say things that are different, are different.

We will one day be spiritual, and there wil be a physical aspect to this (as the Lord ate, after glorification), but I really don't know the fulness of what is to be.
    If this is our eternal state, then is it not far more real than what we see today?

Darrell, I realize our conversations over the last few days are not really where you would wish to take this thread; therefore it is fine with me if you wish to focus more on the study than on replying to my rants....

have a great weekend....and God bless[/QUOTE]

God bless you brother.

We can disagree on things and still be brethren.

What fun would there be if we agreed on everything?

14. olegig

olegig New Member

Hello again Darrell,

This maybe an area where we differ.
    I see spiritual Israel as that part of Israel who have believed on the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
    They are in the Body of Christ, the Bride.
    Peter, Ananias, Paul, Timothy would all be examples of those believers who were once of physical Israel.
    I see spiritual Israel joined with Gentile believers as one, the Church of God; however there are still Jews and Gentiles who are not believers in Jesus Christ as Messiah or Saviour.

Concerning those who "belong to God" I would place the above group who are all of the Bride, and I would also place the remnant of physical Israel whom God will again deal with after the Rapture of the Church.

Also of those who "belong to God" I would place all the OT saints who died before the blood was shed. John the Baptist refers to himself as a "friend" of the Bridegroom.

[A study of the Jewish wedding customs reveal many different characters and time frames. (It is quiet interesting.)
    From this study we can find "spots" or character fills for the various personages from scripture.
    Even Jesus' statement that "I go to prepare a place" is part and parcel of the whole wedding custom.
    I would also refer to the parable of the marriage feast found in Mt 22.]

Paul says in Rom 11:26 that "all" Israel will be saved.
    Do I take that to mean every single individual who was ever born as an Israelite?
    No, I take that to mean God has His record of all the 12 tribes and a remnant in His mind of each on earth today so when the time comes there will be ample saved from each tribe to fulfill prophecy and continue into eternity.

IMO here you are painting with a broad brush in reply to my statement.
    My statement concerning Abraham was to show the OT saint did not immediately go to Heaven upon physical death as we do today. (2Cor 5:8)
    Therefore the method of salvation has changed and can be viewed as changeable.

Certainly one would agree that every saved person in the Bible is saved only through the blood of and belief in Jesus Christ; but the difference is in how and when it is applied.

Was the OT saint indwelt by the Holy Spirit as earnest of their salvation? I think not...
    Was the OT saint said to be placed "in Christ" and Christ "in him"? Again, I think not....
    There truely is something different going on here and I feel we also see the difference in the book of Hebrews.
    ---------------
    For some reason the above posted before I was ready.....I must have hit the wrong button.
    I will continue in the next post....

#34 olegig, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2010
  15. olegig

olegig New Member

Darrell,,,cont reply to post 33.....

Agreed, the Bible calls Abraham a Hebrew and through his concubines he is the father of many.

But the scriptures are very specific that Abraham was the physical father of Jacob who was first called Israel and the physical promises made to Abraham were passed on to Jacob and Isaac.
    However the spiritual promises made to Abraham were not relegated to only Israel.

I agree all of believing Israel are God's; but I also feel physical, unbelieving Israel will again be God's in the future for no group has taken their place.

All I can say about the salvation of those during the Tribulation is what I see in scripture and cannot speculate further.
    Scripture tells them to not take the mark, keep the commandments, and endure to the end.

Belief during the Millennial Reign will come by sight.

olegig said in previous post:

I don't understand your meaning here.

And nor do I see separation of true believers. When Paul spoke of the "middle wall of partition" he was referring to believers, the Body in which truly there is neither Jew nor Gentile, man or woman......no argument on that,,,but....

I am not speaking of today, the New Covenant of Jer 31 cannot be of today because of its contents along with further description from Zec.
    Please study again the questions I asked above in red concerning the passage from Jer.

I don't see how you get from one to the other.
    I don't see how the New Covenant of Heb 8 has or says anything about the new birth.
    And I don't see where Paul revealed the New Covenant as one of the mysteries.
    You will have to develop these with scripture for my understanding.

IMO this is bordering on Replacement Theology to which I do not agree.

I will repeat the questions from previous post for your consideration for IMO many of these things must be settled and understood before any attempt at the meat of the book of Hebrews.

-------------
    Well got to go watch the Olympics........
    have a great evening

16. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

17. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Brother Olegig!

Having a good time here. By this time on other forums my salvation would already be in question for disagreeing with someone's theology.

God bless you brother, we'll work this thing out.

In reply to the new birth, New Covenant and their correlation, follow closely.

This is something that most do not recognize and it is something we should understand.

The claim that we are not under the New Covenant flies in the face of salvation on a very basic level...if we (the Body of Christ)are not under the New Covenant, we are not born again.

Let me see if I can develop this in a way that is understandable.

John 3
    1There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

9Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?

10Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

Okay, we understand this passage for the most part. There is some debate about the water and the spirit in this passage, but most accept it to mean "the washing of the water of the word", not when "water breaks"; and the reference to spirit is of course the spiritual renewing of man by both the new spirit and the indwelling presence of God.

In v. 10, the Lord asks, "You don't know what I refer to?"

What should Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews, "the" teacher of Israel, have known?

Glad you asked:

20And when they entered unto the heathen, whither they went, they profaned my holy name, when they said to them, These are the people of the LORD, and are gone forth out of his land.

21But I had pity for mine holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the heathen, whither they went.

22Therefore say unto the house of Israel, thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.

23And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.

24For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.

25Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

Forgiveness

26A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Regeneration

27And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Indwelling of God and obedience to His word.

28And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

Though this is given to Israel, we, the body of Christ, enjoy the blessings of this promise already.

Just because Israel as a nation has not been returned to her role as God's witness people, doesn't mean the New Covenant has not been enacted.

It has replaced the Covenant of Law. Jews are still not saved by the law, any more than they were in Jesus' day.

There is only one New Covenant.

If it is not for us today, then these blessings are not for us today.

God bless.

18. olegig

olegig New Member

Hello Darrell,

Genesis 14:13 (King James Version)
    13And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram.

All I can say about the salvation of those during the Tribulation is what I see in scripture and cannot speculate further.
    Scripture tells them to not take the mark, keep the commandments, and endure to the end.

Yes, but when scripture does speak, are not we to listen?
    Passage such as Rev 6:9; 12:17; 14:12; 15:2 all give instruction to those on earth during the Tribulation and none of them say a thing about believing in the death, burial, or resurrection.
    They are predominately centered around the same things the OT saints were instructed to do-keep the commandments- with the addition of Jesus.
    This is very similar to the book of Hebrews where we find predominate Jewish actions with the addition of Jesus.
    But none of these instructions have anything remotely resembling the flavor of the message Paul gave.

Also if one looks to the prophetic instructions for the future Tribulation in the gospel of Matthew, one finds the instructions to endure to the end, certainly not a Pauline message.
    The sermon on the mount of Mt 5 is virtually the constitution for the Tribulation and following Millennial Kingdom.
    The parable of the virgins (plural, not the Church which is always singular) found in Mt 25 has works involved for those on earth during the Tribulation while waiting for the return of the Bridegroom.
    These are not the bride; but yet again members of the wedding party and there is nothing Pauline about their actions.

Granted, scripture is silent in some areas; but the area concerning Tribulation salvation is not one of them.

Here again, you are painting with a broad brush.
    I feel to develop this, you should provide the scriptures that show what was told to those individuals mentioned and their reaction.

And here again, I would example Peter in Acts 2:38....
    Did Peter tell his audience of the death, burial, and resurrection and the power thereof,,,or did Peter retell the Kingdom Gospel that Jesus Christ was truly the promised Messiah?

Belief during the Millennial Reign will come by sight.
    Once again, a broad brush for everything comes by and through the Grace of God; but if we are to go on to the meatier things of scripture, we have to be more specific.

Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord; but did Noah say well I believe in the death, burial, and resurrection so therefore I will just here and drown and go to Heaven?
    No, Noah did exactly what God told him to do, and that is what saved Noah.

Ponder this:
    During the MR will the gospel be the death, burial, and resurrection; or will it be to go up to Jerusalem and look upon the King and believe through sight who He is?

Agreed, and they knew nothing of the power of the resurrection and Peter even admitted so in 2Pet 3:16-17.

All the disciples gleaned from Jesus' earthly ministry was that He truly was the Messiah, the promised fulfillment of the OT prophecies of a King. And all the disciples were looking for was the Kingdom as shown by Acts 1:6.
    This is why Peter felt it urgent to fill the 12th place because the Lord had told them they would set in judgement over the 12 tribes.

My point exactly!!!!
    And it was not understood by them or anyone else until it was revealed through the apostle Paul by the teaching of the Gospel of Grace, not the Kingdom Gospel.

All the disciples knew was the "good news" that the King had come and that He is returning.
    It was from the revelations through Paul that they learned of the truly awesome power of God unto salvation, not just a Kingship. (Rom 1:16)

It certainly might be considered the most important theme so far as you and I are concerned; but if one would count up all the passages, one will find far more passages dealing with the Second Coming than any other topic.

The main theme of the Bible is Christ reclaiming His creation and I am sure glad He chose to make a way for me to go along on the ride. :smilewinkgrin:

IMO to fully answer this and show the Church today is under the New Covenant of Heb 8 one must show how the description of the Covenant found in Jer 31 has application to members of the Body today.
    Jer 31:34 starts out by saying they shall teach no more his neighbor......
    Does not sound like the instructions found in the Pauline epistles to the Church to me, does it you?
    Does everyone "all" know the Lord today?

Please, we cannot just place the Church under the New Covenant of Heb 8 for no reason. Do you have any scriptural proof that this Covenant is for the Church today?

IMO this all has application concerning the doctrinal truths found in the book of Hebrews.

Here you still are not addressing my point.

I am not saying there is separation among those who believe in and love the Lord.
    I am saying the Bible maintains separation between the Jew who has not accepted the First Advent, the gentile who is heathen, and the believers.

Just as the color commentator mentioned earlier must know the position of each player to properly call the game; we too must maintain the separation for each group is addressed and has a place in unfulfilled prophecy as exampled by the sheep and goat nations in Mt 25:31ff.

Well, think I will go for now....later my friend

19. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Olegig, another round of pong!

I agree with the separation as stated above. It is when you try to separate believers...from any age: this is where I disagree.

In the eternal state there will be believers of all time.

I say again, if the New Covenant is not for today, then we are not born again.

There is only one New Covenant, and though it is not fulfilled in full, it is in operation today.

Just do me a favor, brother, look at the passages concerning perfection, and share your thoughts on those.

God bless.

20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perfection in Sacrifice

Hi to all,

Our next passage will be one of my favorites.

Please spend some time going over this passage, the truths within will fill the Christian with joy!

Hebrews 10:1-26 (King James Version)

Hebrews 10
    1For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

2For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

3But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

4For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

5Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

6In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

7Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

8Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

10By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

12But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

13From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.

14For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

15Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

18Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

19Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

20By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

21And having an high priest over the house of God;

22Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

23Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

24And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

26For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,