1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Perfection

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Darrell C, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All

This thread has gotten a little off track, but I still encourage all to spend some time in this study.

Some will be shocked to hear this, but the Book of Hebrews puts the question of "eternal salvation" to rest.

That one can lose their salvation becomes a moot question when one understands how salvation was accomplished.

By Christ, and Christ alone.

The Captain of our salvation was made complete through sufferings, which include the fulfillment of the scripture pertaining to Messiah, both in His Life (He was bruised) and in His death (He died and rose again according to the scriptures).

To assume that His "perfection" was that He lived a good life, and thus became acceptable to God, able to die the needful death, is to misunderstand this concept altogether.

God was well-pleased with His Son before He died, in fact before He was manifest in the flesh.

We have looked at completion in 2:10 and 5:9, and discussed it not to its full extent, but in order to keep things going, I'll present the next verse.

In this passage we find our key words in in close proximity with each other, and it is my opinion that they are directly tied together.

Consider:

Hebrews 5:10-6:1 (King James Version)

10Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.
    11Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.
    12For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
    13For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
    14But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Hebrews 6

1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Now, for the time being, I have stopped us at 6:1.

Don't worry, we aren't leaving anything out, we are just examining these verses for now (I predict several pages of disagreement here).

In v. 14 of ch. 5, we find:

5046. teleios tel'-i-os from 5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); neuter (as noun, with 3588) completeness:--of full age, man, perfect.

For now, I will just say that some translations have "mature", and in one sense, this is what our writer is speaking of.

But what is often forgotten (or just never considered), is that it is saying that "solid food belongs to those of full age/those who are complete."

Those being addressed are not.

In fact, they are lazy, infantile, and ignorant of even the Old Testament ABC teachings about Christ.

But they're saved, right?

I believe some of them are, but I also believe some are not.

It is automatically assumed that this passage is speaking about born-again Christians only.

But I believe by understanding the concept of perfection found in Hebrews will clear this up.

I will ask this, if they don't understand the ABCs of O.T. teaching concerning Christ, how can we expect them to understand JESUS' teaching about Himself?

Or, if they are lazy to hear (dull of hearing), unable to teach others of Christ (and He is the primary reason for this epistle), need to be taught the basics of the Word of God concerning Christ...are they saved?

Now keep in mind, our writer (ultimately the Holy Spirit), turns aside from his current topic of Christ's Priesthood, to rebuke these people.

It is no different than the modern Pastor preaching information that he knows some in the congregation is in need of hearing.

In 5:14, I propose that those that are of full age/complete are those that are saved/born-again, and that they are contrasted with the ones who are not.

It seems clear, and it is followed by the exhortation in 6:1 to ...go on to perfection/completion, and leave behind the ABCs of Christ.

Your thoughts?

2. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Addition to previous post

A side note.

As I have mentioned before, Hebrews contrasts the Old Covenant with the New Covenant, and I believe this is the central theme of Hebrews...what the writer is trying to get across to the hearers.

Jesus, of course, as in all scripture, is the central theme of the central theme...He is the Spirit of all Prophecy (and I think this refers to "He is the life of all prophecy").

This/these contrast/s are the key to unlocking the doctrine of Hebrews.

One of the questions to be asked is this:

is the completion of 5:14 and 6:1 referring to the same thing?

In 5:14 we have:

5046. teleios tel'-i-os from 5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); neuter (as noun, with 3588) completeness:--of full age, man, perfect.
    And in 6:1 we have:

5047. teleiotes tel-i-ot'-ace from 5046; (the state) completeness (mentally or morally):--perfection(-ness).

I would say it is.

In the former we have the individual addressed, the one who has come to what those of 5:11-13 have not,

And in the latter (6:1) we have the completion (in Christ) which they are exhorted to come to.

The separation of the two is in my estimation a mistake.

God bless.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can flesh and blood be seen as perfect in the eyes of God? Yet is this not what the Word became? Heb. 2:14. Is this because it is corruptible? 1 Cor. 15:50. Can Heb. 5:10 be said without the first four words of Heb. 5:9 being accurate subject to Heb. 5:4,5. Now in Heb.5:5 where it says, today or this day, what day was that? Acts 13:30,33,37. For what purpose did the word become flesh and blood? Heb. 2:10,14. Read Heb. 7 to see the qualifications for the Melchisedec priesthood. If, and I say if, this day is when Jesus became priest after the order of Melchisedec do you think it is also when John 5: 21,26 took place?
    I might as well ask. How long was Jesus dead? Also if he was dead and I mean without life inherent, would he need to have had faith in the Father that he would raise him from the dead?
    That would be real undeserved payment for our sins.
    Hebrews 11:39,40 speaks of us being made perfect/complete. Hebrews 2:5 speaks of who the world to come will not be subject to. Then we find the world to come will be subject to Jesus and other men. What day do you think we will be made perfect/complete. Remember this has to do with being incorruptible. Now to Hebrews 6. In verse one what does it we should go on unto? Will it happen? Verse 3. When it has taken place. Verse 5
    Will let someone else go from there.
    Bound to have some errors so point them out.
    Thanks to all

4. olegig

olegig New Member

I think you have hit upon a very important point here.
    I believe He was dead on Wed evening and arose after Sat evening of that particular week.
    Therefore it cannot be considered as some over-nite or just a deep sleep thing.
    Another very good point and this is why I feel the Bible refers to the Faith of Christ(Gal 2:16); and further more this Faith of Christ is what is gifted to us.(Eph 2:8)
    Agreed, and it would also speak to real perfection, a perfection we can only have if we are in Christ.

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BINGO and I mean bingo. Had to make it long enough to take.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

Acts 13:30 "But God raised him from the dead."

So we have Jesus saying he can raise himself from the dead, and we have God raising him from the dead.

Jesus' physical resurrection appears to be the work of the Godhead, acting in concert. I doubt if the Lord Jesus needed faith in this instance, and I doubt if it was required.

7. olegig

olegig New Member

I don't wish to hi-jack Darrell's thread (again, sorry) but when considering being perfect or being made perfect I would like to interject this thought.

When a person tells me they are Christian and I ask how they know, if they answer they know because they know they will be resurrected from the dead; then I am pretty sure they are what they say.

Now, please, I am not looking for a way to judge mankind's salvation; I am only making statement of the feeling that comes over a person when they are gifted the Faith of Christ.

8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, In Acts 2:32,33 is Jesus on the right hand of himself and did he receive from himself the promise? In Acts 13:33 is this Jesus raising up himself and then call himself Son? In Rev. 3:21 is Jesus sitting with himself on a throne and he is going to have another throne sometime?

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I didn't get anything near what you drew from the Acts 2 passage.

Regarding Rev 3:21, gee, maybe so. Unless the other throne is for me, so I can sit with him and the Father.

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well in 2:32 to you it must read this Jesus hath himself raised up then he ascended up to the the right hand of ? and received of the Father. You missed commenting on the other passage in Acts 13. Back to John 10:18 where it reads to take it again. take Strong's G2983 take could be translated receive which I think it should be in light of all the other scriptures implying the Father raised him. I looked at this using blueletterbible.org. Also it has a Thayer's lexicon help expanded near bottom has John 10:18 as to receive or get back.Robertson's Word Pictures also has interesting thoughts.

Also want to say I enjoy the conversation.

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely not. This is what those who seek after legalism have in mind for their goal. The problem is, once set on this course, many will think they "
    "have arrived."

This is Pauls point in Galatians: "Do you think you are made perfect (2005) by the flesh?"

2005. epiteleo ep-ee-tel-eh'-o from 1909 and 5055; to fulfill further (or completely), i.e. execute; by implication, to terminate, undergo:--accomplish, do, finish, (make) (perfect), perform(X -ance).

Here we see a difference between what is temporal completion, and eternal.

The only perfection in the flesh God has seen is His Son.

Christ is made perfect through sufferings...and this is concerning His completion of His work of salvation, not that He in His daily life was
    made complete.

This is why we must distinguish exactly what is being said.

To think that Christ needed to be perfected/completed in His body is to imply He had sin, which we know He did not. Nor did He ever sin. This is why His sacrifice was acceptable to God.

The perfection of 2:14 speaks of what He did, not, Who He was.

12. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello brother Olegig,

Don't worry about hijacking (again), and, glad to hear from you again!

So this is a proof of faith?

What is sad is this: there are many who are saved because they have faith in Christ, yet are ignorant of God's word, and cannot answer the "right question" with the "right answer".

You are right in not judging the salvation of others, for we are told this is wrong (judging the fruit of others yes, but their salvation no).

God bless.

13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Percho,

Percho, I would ask you this:

Do you believe that Jesus is God?

14. olegig

olegig New Member

Again, please note I said I do not think it is a measure of judgment. I take it more of a treasure from faith for the individual.
    1 John 3:2 (King James Version)
    2Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

I agree, and I don't think there is a "right answer" required to have salvation; but I do think one's salvation is made more dear when one does have more knowledge of God's Word and what "complete" salvation does mean.
    (By "complete" I mean that someday even our physical bodies will be made incorruptible.)

You as well.

15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God and that the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us and they called him Jesus. I believe that as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same and that he took not on [him the nature of] angels; but he took on [him] the seed of Abraham. I also believe And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist. I also believe Jesus Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men. Notice the but.

Adds thought to this, And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Do you think this glorification took place at the same time as other things I put in my post #63?

#75 percho, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
  16. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    hello Percho,

The "but" refers to His (Jesus') pre-existence. No other in scripture had been with the Father.

John 7
    32Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.

33For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

38For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

61When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?

62What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?

The Son of God lay aside His glory, took on the form of man, was glorified in that body, that He might be the firstfruit of all (us) who believe, that we might be glorified.

If I read #63 correctly, concerning the Son of God's humanity (the Son of Man), yes.

Just remember that He had glory before He took on the form of man, that which He laid aside to take on the flesh of man.

I think this question is in keeping with what you are saying/asking?

Consider:

Revelation 20
    11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Note that "He" that sits on the throne is God. As you continue to read to the end of this particular passage, He that sits on the throne does not change.

13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21
    1And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

5And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

6And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Now contrast that with Revelation 1:

8I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

The Alpha and Omega is God Almighty.

10I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

11Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

12And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;

13And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

14His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

15And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

This is the Son of God (the Person of God who I believe has always dealt with man face to face),

17And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

18I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore
    , Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

We know this is the Son of God, who died for us.

Now look at this verse again:

6And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

7He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

One last thing to consider:

Revelation 22
    1And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

2In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

3And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

Their "throne" is singular.

This speaks of Their oneness, not just in action, but in nature.

We are told (as you affirmed in your previous post) that the Word who manifested in the flesh was God, as we are told when the Son of God returns that He is God:

11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

Hope that helps. No man understands God perfectly, but we can agree with what we have been given in the scripture.

God bless.

#76 Darrell C, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010
  17. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to all

A look at this passage.

Hebrews 5:10-6:1 (King James Version)

10Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

Midstream of his discussion about Christ's priesthood, our writer changes course, to rebuke members of this audience.

Primarily, Hebrews who have been brought up in Judaism, and have as of yet to embrace Christ fully, leaving behind Judaism.

11Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.

The "of whom we have many things to say (about)" must be Christ. Some say Melchisadec, but, this is a book about Christ, not Melchisadec.

We can place brackets from this verse to 6:12:

Hebrews 6:12 (King James Version)

12That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

The word "dull" in 5:11 is the same word "slothful" in 6:12, here is the definition from Strong's:

3576. nothros no-thros' from a derivative of 3541; sluggish, i.e. (literally) lazy, or (figuratively) stupid:--dull, slothful.

They are told that they are nothros in 5:11, and told not to be nothros in 6:12. Verses 13-20 need to be looked at as well, in its reiteration of God's promise to Abraham, the immutability of God's promise and oath, and back to the Priesthood of Christ our writer returns.

Those our writer speaks these words to have been lazy to understand the teachings about Christ.

12For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

Remember this verse the next time someone tells you there is no need for teachers. While we rely on the Holy Spirit to teach us, teachers also have a place in the Kingdom of God.

This is more than likely why those addressed in these verses are ignorant of "the oracles of God", or, the word of God, as presented in the Law, Prophets, and Psalms.

And the Holy Spirit states clearly...YOU NEED TO BE TAUGHT AGAIN. Will this happen without a teacher? Not here it won't, because that is precisely what our writer (ultimately the Holy Spirit through the writer) is doing here,

He is teaching.

We must be aware what the "first principles" are:

First: 746. arche ar-khay' from 756; (properly abstract) a commencement, or (concretely) chief (in various applications of order, time, place, or rank):--beginning, corner, (at the, the) first (estate), magistrate, power, principality, principle, rule.

Principles: 4747. stoicheion stoy-khi'-on neuter of a presumed derivative of the base of 4748; something orderly in arrangement, i.e. (by implication) a serial (basal, fundamental, initial) constituent (literally), proposition (figuratively):--element, principle, rudiment.

Surprise! It simply means first principles...or, put another way, the beginning principles, or, put an even easier way, the ABCs of the oracles of God.

Now what are the oracles of God?

3051. logion log'-ee-on neuter of 3052; an utterance (of God):--oracle

They are the Word of God. That which is spoken by God, Personally, or through His servants.

We find this same phrase here:

Romans 3:2 (King James Version)

2Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

This verse speaks of the Jews, who were given the Word of God...we call them the Old Testament.

It is also found here:

1 Peter 4:11 (King James Version)

11If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

We are to try the spirits, whether they be of God. If what a man teaches does not line up with the word of God, count that man as an heretic.

Its one thing for one to be in error on minor doctrine, but quite another to teach that which is clearly against major doctrines of God's word.

But it is our responsibility to learn God's word and will that we might identify demon doctrine.

13For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

Unskilful is:

552. apeiros ap'-i-ros from 1 (as a negative particle) and 3984; inexperienced, i.e. ignorant:--unskilful.

While I hold to the belief that there are three groups presented in Hebrews, believers that are saved, those closely associated with the body of Christ, and those who reject Christ, here we find the general audience addressed are said to be inexperienced/ignorant.

What are they ignorant of?

I think the context is clear, they are ignorant of the basic principles of the word of God concerning Christ.

The woman at the well is a good example of this: she had a knowledge of Messiah, but only basic beliefs concerning Him.

Our writer is saying that they, as well as us, should not be in this state of ignorance, and, if we are, we need to go on to a better understanding.

14But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Now here, we find (one of) our key study words:

Full age:5046. teleios tel'-i-os from 5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); neuter (as noun, with 3588) completeness:--of full age, man, perfect.

These are they that have an understanding of Christ. They understand both the strong meat, which is the completion that this book is teaching us about Christ and salvation, as well as the milk... the Old Testament teaching of Christ.

They are not infantile in their understanding, crawling along the floor, sticking things in their mouths (embracing doctrines), not knowing whether they are good or bad.

Our next verse will combine two things from these preceding:

Principles;

Perfection.

Hebrews 6
    1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Principles:746. arche ar-khay' from 756; (properly abstract) a commencement, or (concretely) chief (in various applications of order, time, place, or rank):--beginning, corner, (at the, the) first (estate), magistrate, power, principality, principle, rule.

This is the same word "first" in 5:12.

That which the hearers are told they are in need of teaching again, which had they not been lazy, they would have already known.

So in 6:1, does our writer say "go and learn again" the beginning teachings?

He does not. Rather, he says to "leave them."

Why?

If your child who is learning to drive gets into an accident, do you then give them a matchbox car and tell them to work on their driving skills?

Not at all. They continue driving a car, which is the "completion" so to speak of what they have learned about driving growing up.

You show the young child the picture, and say, "Car."

They learn to say car.

You give them a tricycle, and they learn basic motor skills.

When the time is right, you give them the keys, and pray.

It is much the same here.

The beginning teachings of Christ are all throughout the Old Testament, and point to the Coming of Messiah.

Now that He is come, there is no longer a need for the "picture".

I hope you enjoy this study. As I have said, by the time you look at the big picture found in Hebrews, there will be no question in your heart concerning the security of Salvation.

I will stop there for now, but we approach a section of scripture that for me is one of my favorites.

We will look at vv. 1-3 of chapter 6 in our next passage.

You might be surprised at what is there, or, you may have already figured it out just by looking at this a little closer, which is my hope for you.

God bless

18. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All

Hello to All,

Our next verses:

Hebrews 6:1-3 (King James Version)

Hebrews 6

2Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

3And this will we do, if God permit.

We see here a passage that has been debated hotly, with many interpretations.

It would not have been difficult for the original recipients, who would have recognized them for what they are: elements of Judaism.

We (they) are told to leave the "ABCs of the teaching of Christ" and to go unto "Perfection".

We (they) are told, NOT TO:

1-Lay again a foundation of repentance from dead works.

What? Isn't this a good thing? Repenting from Dead Works?

Well...No.

Are you, my Christian friend, engaged in dead works?

Are you not rather created in Christ Jesus unto good works?

The works of the Judaizer (with few exceptions) were dead.

Don't take my word for it:

Matthew 23 (King James Version)

Matthew 23

1Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
    2Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
    3All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
    4For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 5But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

This is just an example of the "works" of the religious in Christ's day.

These are they which partake of a religious system, thinking themselves righteous because of their works.

Praise God that we can engage in fruit bearing works that are evidence of Christ doing His work through us.

Lets look at the next item in our list:

2-Faith toward God.

This is indeed foundational to Judaism, which is the God given standard of worship given to the Jews.

However, Judaism was not intended as the stopping point of faith and worship.

It was a foundational system which would at some point in time be brought to completion by the ultimate fulfillment of God's promises.

One of those promises, Rest for His people, which was symbolized by Canaan, and came after deliverance from bondage, finds completion in the rest we have from "works" in Christ.

Christ accomplished the work we could not.

While they may have been satisfied to have that plot of ground, we know we will have a better land, a better deliverance, a better rest.

Sorry for the rabbit trail, back to "Faith in God".

While it once was acceptable to have faith in God in a general sense (knowing there is One God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob), there is a difference for believers today.

I think these verses say it best:

Hebrews 1 (King James Version)

Hebrews 1

1God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

The revelation of the Son of God is now the God-appointed means for approaching God.

There is no other means of access to the Father, and in fact, it is an access which those of Judaism did not have.

Faith in God is still foundational truth for us, but is accompanied by Faith in Christ.

Those of other religions who deny that Jesus is the Christ have done what our writer is saying not to do: they remain at the foundational principle of Faith in God, and have not gone on unto Faith in Christ.

3-The doctrine of baptisms: the plurality of these baptism should be an instant giveaway that this is speaking of Judaism.

Okay, how many baptisms are there in Christianity?

And I am not speaking of diverse forms of baptism (sprinkling, immersion, association, etc.), I am speaking of Christian baptism.

In Judaism, the Baptism of John was but one of many "washings".

But, consider:

Ephesians 4

3Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
    4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
    5One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

I believe this to reference water baptism enjoined by Christians.

Spiritual baptism, by which we are placed into the body of Christ, is implied in v. 4.

I will stop here for now, because the next three in our list will need more time to look at.

These will be goads that some will kick at, though it will be hard for them.

But, look through them, and consider whether these can properly be applied to Christianity.

Or, as I suggest, are foundational principles of Judaism, and in general, Faith in God.

God bless.

#78 Darrell C, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2010
  19. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All,

Just a reminder concerning this study:

The intent is to consider the theme of Perfection in the book of Hebrews.

The concept will bring automatically to mind the thought of one being perfect as you and I think of "perfection" in modern times.

I suggest to you that this is not the intent of the author of Hebrews.

Perfection speaks of completion, and only one use in Hebrews can be easily understood as pertaining to completion in the sense of temporal achievement, and even that use is followed by the call to move on to completion in Christ, to advance from the foundational principles of the law.

We find ourselves in the middle of six foundational principles of Judaism, which the writer has told us we are to move on from.

Which for most that will read this study, there is little chance that you will have to leave them, because you never engaged in them, having never been a participant in Judaism.

Lets get started.

Hebrews 6:1-2 (King James Version)

Hebrews 6

2Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

The Laying on of Hands:

While there are Christians who hold to the laying on of hands as a doctrine of Christianity, based upon Apostolic action, we need to be careful not to confuse this text.

Many have concluded this list speaks of Christian doctrine, but ignore what the writer has stated them to be...foundational principles of the doctrine of Christ.

In other words, leave the beginning teachings of the teaching of Christ, and move on (advance) to the completeness of the teaching of Christ.

There is a similarity we could draw from education:

A child begins in kindergarden, works his way through the grades, moves on to college, and graduates.

He is done with the instruction he learns from schooling, and the goal is to use that instruction in the workplace.

Maybe he has gone to school to be a doctor, and when he is done with school, he goes into practice as a doctor.

This, he is taught, is what you need to do when you are a doctor.

If he decides to continue reading textbooks, rather than actually practicing medicine, he would be returning to the foundational knowledge, rather than practicing what the education he received was meant to prepare him for.

This is what those who, having received the knowledge of Christ, were in danger of doing, and for them to return to Judaism, is akin to our example, the doctor.

Is his medical knowledge of any value if he never progresses to the actual work? None at all.

Is the basic knowledge of Christ of any value if one does not embrace Him as Lord and Savior? None at all.

Poor analogy, I know, but its the best I can do right now.

Here is the Strong's definition (All definitions are found in an earlier post).

5047. teleiotes tel-i-ot'-ace from 5046; (the state) completeness (mentally or morally):--perfection(-ness).

What is the difference between the ABCs and the perfection found in Christ?

The Law could not take away sin, the death of Christ can.

To continue to practice Judaism after having a knowledge of Christ is the warning our writer is giving.

We are told not to lay this foundation again.

The laying on of hands under the law was an act of association of the sinner and the sacrifice.

This is the foundational principle we are not to re-lay.

Our association today is with Christ, not an animal to be offered.

To finish up this discussion about laying on of hands, we can be certain that this is reference to that practiced by the Levitical Priesthood.

Primarily because Hebrews is contrasting the law (basic principles) with the completion that is found in Christ.

While there are several different "laying on of hands" referenced in scripture, the Levitical practice is the one in view.

We also see, and I think it good to mention, that the term laid hands on was used concerning violence toward an individual, as well as being something done by our Lord when he healed.

One of the aspects concerning the Lord and healing was this: He did not have to lay hands on in order to effect a healing, as is the case with the woman with the issue.

The Apostles laid hands on people at times of healing and conversion, and this is thought by some that the healing and the gift of salvation were due to the Apostles.

I myself disagree with this, seeing the laying on of hands as an affirmation of what God did through them, as well as being a matter of association.

I do agree that God's power worked through the Apostles (and disciples), but even as when the Lord sent the disciples out, it was He Who gave them the power to do what He commissioned them to do, such as preaching, healing, and casting out devils.

However, though we read that some laid hands upon people at the time of their salvation and healing, I see no clear doctrine that we (the Church) have a doctrine considering laying on of hands.

But, in conclusion, that is a little off topic, and would be better suited for another thread.

Our focus here is to determine what we should understand about the principles of Christ, and whether they are Judaistic practice, or, whether they are Christian doctrine.

God bless.

20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All,

Just wanted to touch on the remaining two principles in our current list (we have another list coming up two verses down the page).

Understanding the importance of identifying the components of our current list will help us as we work through one of the most difficult passages in scripture to interpret.

Lets look at it now.

Hebrews 6:1-2 (King James Version)

Hebrews 6

2Of the doctrine of baptisms,and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Resurrection of the Dead.

I will combine these two for the sake of time and because in the Old Testament, teaching on either is limited.

While there was a basic belief in life after death for many in the day of Jesus' ministry, I myself cannot say exactly to what extent it went.

I know that the Pharisees believed in the resurrection of the dead, and the Sadducees didn't (that was why they were so sad...you see?)

We see these combined in one verse in Daniel 12:2-

Daniel 12 (King James Version)

Daniel 12

2And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

This verse is a good spring-board for what we examine at this time, for it combines the two aspects of our list.

This is a bit vague at first, but remember, this is a basic teaching, not complete.

It says that "many...shall awake", leading some to conclude that there will be those who do not.

For the person who may read this and comfort themselves that when they die, that's the end, take heed to the more complete teaching of Christ:

John 5:24-29 (King James Version)

24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Those who believe have been given everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation. It's right there folks.

25Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Who shall hear? The dead. If life were to cease at death, how then would they hear?

These are they that "sleep in the dust of the earth".

26For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
    27And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Jesus is the righteous judge.

28Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

ALL that are in the graves shall hear His voice. So we see that the "many" of Daniel is clearly speaking about the number of those who hear, not the percentage (having a connotation of abundance).

29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Sound familiar?

That there was a belief in resurrection is shown by a few verses:

Matthew 22:23-32 (King James Version)

23The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,
    24Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.
    25Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:
    26Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.
    27And last of all the woman died also.
    28Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.
    29Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
    30For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
    31But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, 32I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

One of the interesting things about this passage is the fact that Jesus rebukes them for their ignorance of scripture.

Which is exactly what our writer of Hebrews does in the end of chapter 5.

What He is saying is this: though it does not say explicitly "This concerns Resurrection of the dead", Jesus makes it clear that they should have realized that because God said, "I AM the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob", they should have been able to put two and two together, and conclude that these three yet lived.

There are things that scripture teaches us that are not spelled out explicitly, but by looking at the whole of scripture, we will see them.

The teaching of Resurrection of the dead is now more complete, and we have a better understanding than they that did not have the New Testament teaching.

Because of course, it is now "complete".

We know our future resurrection comes, and that of the fate of unbelievers.

...and of eternal judgment.

We also know that we as believers are not in fear of eternal judgement.

There is now no condemnation for them that are in Christ.

See our earlier comparison verse:

John 5:24 (King James Version)

24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

There are those who should fear what lies ahead of them.

John 3:18 (King James Version)

18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Is there one who believes himself to be neutral in the matter?

God does not see it that way.

By not making a choice, you have made your choice.

Your only hope is to repent, and call on the name of Jesus, and He will save you from the fate that awaits you.

You have His Word on it.

I will stop here for now.

Next we look at our next list in this passage, and try to determine what it consist of and of whom it speaks.

Until then, all questions and comments are welcome,

God Bless.