1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Perfection

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Darrell C, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All,

As we finish up this section (5:11-6:12), which is preceded by one of our study words (5:9) and itself contains two of our study words (5:14 and 6:1), we come to a second list given by our writer, and from the Holy Spirit.

Our first list, which contain basic principles of Judaism, and specific command not to lay again this foundation, refer directly with the problem our writer is addressing.

And it is a familiar problem.

We see people "come to Christ", associate with the Church, sometimes for years, and then...they "fall away."

Why is this.

Well, on one side, it is said they have lost their salvation.

On the other, it is said they were never saved.

So, which is it?

A question before we get into our second list.

We are clearly told to go on unto perfection, not laying again foundational principles of Christ, and as we finish up our first list, we are told "we will do this if God permits".

What exactly does this mean?

Look forward to your answers.

God bless.

2. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All,

First, I would like to apologize for seeming to abandon this thread, but things have been busy.

For those who know about my mother being in the hospital and have prayed for her, I am happy to say, she is now home, and seems to be doing well (she has had back surgery and had about a foot of colon removed); your prayers are still coveted (her name is Virginia).

Our next segment will touch briefly on Hebrews 6:4-6, a hotly debated section.

But, as someone pointed out, this is a little off-track with the study at hand: looking at the theme of Perfecction/Completion as found in Hebrews.

For those who have not read the thread in it's entirety, please do so before commenting, as your comments have more than likely already been addressed, and the replies to your comments and questions are probably there for you.

So, here we go...and remember, lets get an understanding of perfection, and then we can debate the implications.

Hebrews 6:4-6 (King James Version)

4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

It is viewed by many that these characteristics describe the born-again Christian, but there are just as many who see this as a mis-interpretation.

Enlightenment

Enlightenment is the first step on the path to salvation, and is a necessary stage of God's calling upon the heart of the unregenerate.

To make this post short, and to get back to our point of interest, lets look quickly at "partakers of the Holy Ghost."

Partakers of the Holy Ghost

Quite simply, all who are being drawn by the Spirit of God partake of the Holy Spirit.

In the ministry of our Lord Jesus Christ, He empowered His disciples to perform certain ministries which, without the Holy Spirit, could not have been accomplished.

All of the disciples of Christ were partakers of the Holy Ghost, and this includes Judas...who cast out devils, healed, and preached the gospel.

Was he saved?

No. Not only that, but actually, none of the disciples were born-again at that time.

But, they were partakers of the Holy Ghost.

Have Tasted...

The remaining points of this list have to do with tasting.

Christ tasted of death for every man...was this a lasting condition?

Of course not.

Our addressed hearers have tasted of:

1-The heavenly gift (salvation through Christ)

2-The good word of God (God's revelation which I believe encompasses not only the Gospel, but the entirety of God's revealed will for man found in scripture, which this group addressed were ignorant of).

3-The powers of the world to come (In Christ's ministry and in the early Church, there was a "preview" of what is to come in the Millennial Kingdom, which will fulfill God's temporal promises to Israel, and will find total fulfillment in the eternal state).

The important thing to keep in mind in this passage is that of these, they have but tasted.

Many benefit from God's blessings though they are not saved. God's blessing are likened to the rain in vv. 7-8:

7For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:

8But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

It is the end result of those blessings which are important.

Verse 7 represents the effectual calling of God, whereas verse 8 represents those which reject God.

These are they which have resisted the Holy Spirit, as the Hebrews were very much in the habit of doing.

For the "Christian" today to assume that going through the motions of Christianity (church attendance, tithing, singing in the choir, etc.) is equal to salvation is just as much a mistake today as it was in the first century.

These are ritualistic in nature and what some use to validate their salvation.

Knowledge is another "validation" of salvation.

But it is the indwelling of God that is the difference between those who "think" they are saved, and those who "know" they are saved.

Those resting in Christ are given the assurance of their salvation in Him and will not accomplish the actions that are warned about in Hebrews:

Falling Away

6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

The belief that the born-again believer is indwelt by the Spirit of God, and that this union cannot be broken is what I believe to be the foundation of assurance.

Crucifying the Son of God afresh is a return to the Levitical sacrifice. This is the apostasy spoken of here.

They cannot be renewed to repentance if they are rejecting His sacrifice.

It's that simple.

Though some will reject Christ (and the drawing of God through the Holy Spirit) to the point in which God gives them over to themselves, while a person lives and is being called of God, there is always the possibility of repentance.

That is all for now. Questions and comments are expected and welcome, but I would like to get this thread back on track...and then debate issues such as these.

God bless.

3. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As we progress through the book of Hebrews, we can not help but see the superiority of Christ to the Levitical Priesthood.

As we have looked at the passage that runs from 5:9 (in which Christ is made complete) to 6:6, and spent a little time with it, we can see the theme of perfection (completion) thread its way through it.

This is a significant passage to examine, and I hope to come back to it and discuss it in further detail, but for now, we get back to the study.

We can properly parenthesize 5:11-6:12, based upon our writer pointing out the spiritual lethargy of the audience:

Hebrews

5:11Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.

6:12That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

The words dull and slothful are both the same word, which is this:

3576. nothros no-thros' from a derivative of 3541; sluggish, i.e. (literally) lazy, or (figuratively) stupid:--dull, slothful.

What He is addressing is the issue of certain Hebrews associated with the more complete teaching of Christ not putting forth the effort to embrace Christ.

Consider:

Hebrews

6:11And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

"The end" is this:

5056. telos tel'-os from a primary tello (to set out for a definite point or goal); properly, the point aimed at as a limit, i.e. (by implication) the conclusion of an act or state (termination (literally, figuratively or indefinitely), result (immediate, ultimate or prophetic), purpose); specially, an impost or levy (as paid):--+ continual, custom, end(-ing), finally, uttermost. Compare 5411.

The point the author is exhorting them to aim at as a limit is to fully embrace Christ...not to return to Judaism.

Many will look at this (unto the end) as a call to perserverance, but when we see the usage of "completion" in Hebrews, we can recognize more easily what our writer (ultimately the Holy Spirit) is saying to them (and to all of us).

Amazing, isn't it?

Let's look at this passage focusing on our key verses only, and see the flow of scripture:

Hebrews 5

8Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

9And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

14But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Hebrews 6

1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

11And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

Thats all for now.

God bless.

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All,

Moving forward, we come to one of the greatest passages in scripture.

Seldom do we hear messages from these next three chapters in Hebrews, and that is a pity.

Crucial in our understanding of Christianity is an understanding of the New Covenant, and how that applies to us, believers in the present age.

And you almost never here it spoken about.

Personally, I think that there is many a preacher who feels they have to keep things simple in order for the average congregation to understand what he is saying.

And that may be true in a general sense, but I also feel that the man of God in the pulpit can, by the power of the Holy Spirit, get the Word of God across to His people.

And this is an issue that has been left on the top shelf to collect dust, rather than, as J. Vernon McGee used to say, putting the cookie jar on the bottom shelf where the kiddies can get to them.

Looking at the theme of perfection, we will be introduced to some great truths that will clarify some things and make a few things fall into place.

A couple of notes (and I know I repeat myself):

We will see Christ's superiority, both in His Priesthood and in His sacrifice.

We will see the superiority of the New Covenant over the Old (called both the Old, and the First, but both referring to the Covenant of Law).

In our current text, we examine Hebrews 7:11. And here it is:

Hebrews 7:11 (King James Version)

11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

Perfection is this:

5050. teleiosis tel-i'-o-sis from 5448; (the act) completion, i.e. (of prophecy) verification, or (of expiation) absolution:--perfection, performance.

Again, we see that we are dealing with completion.

The Levitical Priesthood could not bring to a point or state of completion, but, "another priest" could.

Our Great High Priest, Jesus the Christ.

I think it noteworthy to point out, that our writer had begun in chapter 5 to speak about Melchisadec, then suddenly changed direction, to bring a dire warning which goes through 6:11, and then picks back up where he left off (in the last verse of chapter 6).

Beginning with the last verse of chapter 6, our writer begins the contrast between the Priesthood of Melchisadec, the Levites, and that of Christ.

That Melchisadec's priesthood is superior to that of the Levites is made evident, in that they (the Levites) paid tithes to Melchisadec (still being in the loins of Abraham).

Christ is said to be "after the order of Melchisadec", rather than "after the order of Aaron.

Though I'm tempted, I won't get too involved with Melchisadec right now.

If anyone wants to comment, or has a question, feel free.

Our focus right now is this:

There was a need for another priest to arise (after the order of Melchisadec).

Look at it again:

11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

Why? Because , just as we shall see before too long, the Levitical priesthood, just as the law, were helpless to bring those who approached God to a state of completion.

The implication is this: The New Priest could.

And we are told exactly that in Hebrews.

But even as the priesthood is changed, so is the law:

12For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

The requirement of the Law was that only the Levites could serve in the priesthood.

Is Christ breaking the Law? No...He is God, and He has changed the law, making the Levitical Priesthood obsolete for remission of sins.

We know, as Christians, there is one sacrifice for sin, but there are those out there who do not.

Let us be busy about telling them.

That is all for now,

God bless.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All,

Welcome to the next installment.

I encourage those who have not read through this thread to do so...there is a blessing for you in looking at something that I'm sure not many have ever considered.

Our last verse was this:

Hebrews 7:11 (King James Version)

Perfection is this:

5050. teleiosis tel-i'-o-sis from 5448; (the act) completion, i.e. (of prophecy) verification, or (of expiation) absolution:--perfection, performance.

Our next verse is this:

Hebrews 7:19 (King James Version)

19For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

Perfect is this:

5048. teleioo tel-i-o'-o from 5046; to complete, i.e. (literally) accomplish, or (figuratively) consummate (in character):--consecrate, finish, fulfil, make) perfect.

Neither the Levitical Priesthood nor the Law could bring completion.

It was an endless performance of ritual on a daily basis.

It did not take away sin, nor could the people approach God, but were, by their sin, kept apart from Him.

Hebrews 9:7-11 (King James Version)

7But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people:

8The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:

11But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

Note the "holiest of all" in v.8.

This is God's true presence, which the second room of the Tabernacle
    represented (the Holy of Holies).

The Levitical High Priest (which was a picture of Christ's priesthood) brought the sacrifice that represented Christ's sacrifice to the place that represented God's presence.

This is the type, the picture, the shadow.

But Christ, who is the true High Priest, brought the true sacrifice for sin into the true presence of God, the Holiest of All.

What the law could not bring to completion, Christ did.

19For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

The ritual of law did not allow the people to approach God, but through Christ, we have acces to God that the law could not give.

The veil that separated man from the presence of God was pictured by the veil that separated the Holy Place from the Holy of Holies.

Christ has entered into the true Holy of Holies, the Holiest of All...

Hebrews 6:19 (King James Version)

19Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;

20Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Hebrews 10:20 (King James Version)

20By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

We are tied to Jesus in Heaven even as an anchor is tied to a ship.

Christ has entered into God's presence, Heaven, and we are "anchored" by hope in Christ.

Our hope in Christ is better than hope in the law.

Because He has brought completion to that which the law could only picture.

God bless.

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All,

Welcome back, I hope by now the clear presentation by our writer and the Holy Spirit of Our Great High Priest has made you look at His sacrifice in a way like never before.

That you have seen His sacrifice as fully sufficient and the only sufficiency to meet the righteous demand of payment for the penalty of sin.

Let me reiterate that this thread is not to bring the allusion that we of ourselves can be perfect in the sense of never sinning, but that perfection, completion of God's intention to reconcile man to Himself has come through Jesus Christ.

Who said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life."

By now, this thread should be almost unneeded for those who have understood the premise, and have looked at this on their own.

Our next verse confirms once again that Christ is the end result of all God has intended for the redemption of man, and that His position as the Way to eternal life both stands alone and is without end.

Hebrews 7:28 (King James Version)

28For the law maketh men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore.

Another verse expressing Christ's superiority over the shadow, or, the "model" of the Levitical Priesthood.

Consecrated is:

5048. teleioo tel-i-o'-o from 5046; to complete, i.e. (literally) accomplish, or (figuratively) consummate (in character):--consecrate, finish, fulfil, make) perfect.

We are very familiar with this word by now, but let's take a quick look at our previous occurences of this word.

Hebrews 2:10 (King James Version)

10For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Hebrews 5:9 (King James Version)

9And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

When we look at these in succession, a clear picture is painted for our understanding.

5408 will also be found in these verses:

Hebrews 9:9 (King James Version)

9Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;

Hebrews 10

1For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Hebrews 11:40 (King James Version)

40God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Hebrews 12:23 (King James Version)

23To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

With just an understanding of the word perfect, we really need no commentary on these verses.

They stand clear in their teaching, and make us to see the purpose of the finished work of Christ.

Why this teaching within the book of Hebrews is overlooked is specifically due to our applying the modern meaning of perfection, rather than understanding the completion that is meant.

Which can have a connotation of completion, but is usually thought of in the sense of "without flaw".

And why wouldn't we immediately and automatically assume this meaning?

For Jesus Christ is Perfect and without flaw.

One more thing about our current verse:

Hebrews 7:28 (King James Version)

28For the law maketh men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore.

The word of the oath, God's affirmation of the Priesthood of Christ.

That Christ was coming, and that His Priesthood would be put in place, and that He would be a complete and eternal High Priest, is yet another example of His Word being fulfilled in His timing and in His way.

Before the foundation of the world, God meant for you and I to become His children.

He has made the way, for He is the way...

We have but to follow.

God bless.

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All,

Sorry (again) for seeming to abandon the thread.

But we are drawing near to a conclusion (maybe), and hope there are those of you who have been blessed.

We jump right in with a little groundwork:

Hebrews 9

1Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.

2For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary.
    3And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;

Found within the Covenant of Law was the necessary tabernacle.

It is important to notice that our writer is not distinguishing between different tabernacles, but the rooms within the tabernacle, called the first (the first room, also known as the holy place), and the second, which is the same word used for sanctuary...only repeated twice, hagion hagion.

Translated as Holiest of all.

6Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service of God.

7But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people:
    8The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:

The priests (plural) went into the the first, but into the second, only the High Priest went, and as we saw before, only once a year.

Not without blood. He, as well as the people, had to make offering for their sins.

What is the holiest of all referred to in v. 8?

In order to access this holiest of all, it is implied that the first tabernacle must not be standing...signified by the Holy Spirit.

Consider:

Matthew 12:6 (King James Version)

6But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.

Who is greater than the temple?

Matthew 24

1And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
    2And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

John 2

18Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

19Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

20Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

21But he spake of the temple of his body.
    22When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

Man was given a system in which they, in type, entered by a mediator (the High Priest).

We, through the Priesthood of Jesus Christ, being both offerer and offering, have been given a faith by which we become the dwellingplace of God.

Even as God the Son indwelt the body of a man, Christ now comes to dwell with man when they are saved.

1 Corinthians 3:16 (King James Version)

16Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Back to Hebrews:

Hebrews 9

9Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;

10Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.
    11But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

Perfect in verse 9 is:

The gifts and sacrifices of the first tabernacle could not make complete, as pertaining to the conscience.

The guilt of sin was ever present in the lives of those who were honest about their sin.

The self-righteous have no conscience of sin.

The born-again have a conscience of sin, but trust in Christ that He has paid the debt.

Perfect in v.11 is:

5046. teleios tel'-i-os from 5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); neuter (as noun, with 3588) completeness:--of full age, man, perfect.

The tabernacle of our Great High Priest can be called nothing less than complete.

Hebrews 10:5 (King James Version)

5Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

20By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Completion has come for those who would embrace Him.

How could God bring man into His presence?

By indwelling the flesh of man, and taking it into the Holiest of All...into His presence.

By dying in the place of all who call on His name.

One final thing for now:

Though this is secondary, I would like to just add that the writer of Hebrews quotes from the LXX (Septuagint) in Hebrews 10:5.

The KJV has:

Psalm 40:6 (King James Version)

6Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.

Which the translators of the LXX rendered thus:

*6 Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not; but a body hast thou prepared me: whole-burnt-offering and sacrifice for sin thou didst not require

*The Translation of the Greek Old Testament Scriptures, Including the Apocrypha.
    Compiled from the Translation by Sir Lancelot C. L. Brenton 1851

Is there a discrepancy?

No.

The opening of the ears was most likely held to be a figure of speech which the translators viewed, to put it simply, as part of the act of fashioning a body.

Some see an equation to the boring of the ear that represented servitude.

Either way, we do know that the Holy Spirit has said what He means in this book, and can be sure that God did prepare the body that the Eternal Son of God indwelt.

God bless.

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgot to enlarge scripture...reposting.

Sorry (again) for seeming to abandon the thread.

But we are drawing near to a conclusion (maybe), and hope there are those of you who have been blessed.

We jump right in with a little groundwork:

Hebrews 9

1Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.

2For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary.
    3And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;

Found within the Covenant of Law was the necessary tabernacle.

It is important to notice that our writer is not distinguishing between different tabernacles, but the rooms within the tabernacle, called the first (the first room, also known as the holy place), and the second, which is the same word used for sanctuary...only repeated twice, hagion hagion.

Translated as Holiest of all.

6Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service of God.

The priests (plural) went into the the first, but into the second, only the High Priest went, and as we saw before, only once a year.

Not without blood. He, as well as the people, had to make offering for their sins.

What is the holiest of all referred to in v. 8?

In order to access this holiest of all, it is implied that the first tabernacle must not be standing...signified by the Holy Spirit.

Consider:

Matthew 12:6 (King James Version)

6But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.

Who is greater than the temple?

Matthew 24

1And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.

2And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

John 2

18Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

19Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

20Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

21But he spake of the temple of his body.
    22When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

Man was given a system in which they, in type, entered by a mediator (the High Priest).

We, through the Priesthood of Jesus Christ, being both offerer and offering, have been given a faith by which we become the dwellingplace of God.

Even as God the Son indwelt the body of a man, Christ now comes to dwell with man when they are saved.

1 Corinthians 3:16 (King James Version)

16Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Back to Hebrews:

Hebrews 9

10Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.

Perfect in verse 9 is:

The gifts and sacrifices of the first tabernacle could not make complete, as pertaining to the conscience.

The guilt of sin was ever present in the lives of those who were honest about their sin.

The self-righteous have no conscience of sin.

The born-again have a conscience of sin, but trust in Christ that He has paid the debt.

Perfect in v.11 is:

5046. teleios tel'-i-os from 5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); neuter (as noun, with 3588) completeness:--of full age, man, perfect.

The tabernacle of our Great High Priest can be called nothing less than complete.

Hebrews 10:5 (King James Version)

5Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

Completion has come for those who would embrace Him.

How could God bring man into His presence?

By indwelling the flesh of man, and taking it into the Holiest of All...into His presence.

By dying in the place of all who call on His name.

One final thing for now:

Though this is secondary, I would like to just add that the writer of Hebrews quotes from the LXX (Septuagint) in Hebrews 10:5.

The KJV has:

Psalm 40:6 (King James Version)

6Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.

Which the translators of the LXX rendered thus:

*6 Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not; but a body hast thou prepared me: whole-burnt-offering and sacrifice for sin thou didst not require

*The Translation of the Greek Old Testament Scriptures, Including the Apocrypha.
    Compiled from the Translation by Sir Lancelot C. L. Brenton 1851

Is there a discrepancy?

No.

The opening of the ears was most likely held to be a figure of speech which the translators viewed, to put it simply, as part of the act of fashioning a body.

Some see an equation to the boring of the ear that represented servitude.

Either way, we do know that the Holy Spirit has said what He means in this book, and can be sure that God did prepare the body that the Eternal Son of God indwelt.

God bless.

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All,

Getting close to the end, but I think the next few verses will be a blessing to many.

Of course, to some, maybe not.

Hebrews 10

1For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Do you see the significance of this verse?

And, just to make sure the integrity of the context is in place, a quick recap of a few verses from the previous chapter:

Hebrews 9

Perfect in verse 9 is:

Perfect in v.11 is:

And again, our current verse:

Hebrews 10

Perfect in 10:1 is:

Twice we are told that the sacrifices and the offerings of the Covenant of Law could not make the "comers thereunto perfect".

We are told that there is a greater (superior) and more perfect (complete) tabernacle which was not built by the hands of man.

What is the greater tabernacle?

There are several things that can be said of the greater "temple".

As part of the Old Covenant, the tabernacle represented the presence of God with man.

It is important to remember that this structure was temporary.

Repeatedly torn down and reassembled, while man made his way through the wilderness.

Today, we have a new temple, in which God resides...our bodies.

In the temporal sense, since Pentecost, this House of God has also been temporary, repeatedly torn down and rebuilt, through the death of the saints, and those who are born again.

New, living stones, are constantly added to the house of God, even as some go to be with the Lord.

There is also another way to look at the greater and more complete temple...The actual presence of God...Heaven itself.

Christ, God in human flesh, was the first man to enter the presence of God in a human body.

What?

It is true.

When God took on the form of man, He lived in that body, died in that body, and that very same body is the one He was glorified in, and ascended to the Father in.

Consider again:

Hebrews 10:19-20 (King James Version)

19Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

The veil represented the separation of man from God. The High Priest, who was a type of Christ, was the only one who could enter into the presence of God.

Today, there is a veil over the yes of the Jews, that they might not...what?

Keep the commandments?

Not hardly.

The veil keeps them from the most important realization that all of mankind needs to come to...that Jesus Christ is the promised Messiah.

We are told in our present verse that the law, having a shadow of good things to come...

Stop right there, and consider:

Shadow is:

4639. skia skee'-ah apparently a primary word; "shade" or a shadow (literally or figuratively (darkness of error or an adumbration)):-- shadow.

I think the KJV translators did a good job with shadow.

It is not the exact image, or the real thing, but, even as the statue's shadow is not the shadow, the law was not the "good things to come".

We see another example in Hebrews:

Hebrews 8:4-5 (King James Version)

4For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:

5Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.

Again, a shadow of heavenly things, of good things to come.

Is it not the goal of every born-again believer to be in the presence of God?

Example in this verse is:

5262. hupodeigma hoop-od'-igue-mah from 5263; an exhibit for imitation or warning (figuratively, specimen, adumbration):--en-(ex-)ample, pattern.

Hebrews is clear that the tabernacle was temporary, and not only that, but representative of of the true tabernacle, the true temple...Heaven.

One last verse concerning the Temple of God:

Revelation 11:19 (King James Version)

19And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

Back to our current verse:

Hebrews 10

We are told that the law could not make complete.

For those who have followed this thread, they already know what did make complete.

Tune in next time, when we examine what and Who makes complete, and what that means in our lives as believers.

God bless.

10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to All,

Our next look at the theme of perfection in Hebrews will, by some, not even be necessary.

By looking at the simplicity of this theme, most of you have seen what it means for us as believers.

Our next verse is:

Hebrews 10:14 (King James Version)

14For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Perfected is:

Can it be questioned that this is speaking about the work of God in our lives, rather than our work for God?

We can know without doubt Who the He is that perfects.

It is our High Priest, Jesus Christ.

10By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

12But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

13From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.

Do you see the sufficiency of the one sacrifice of Christ?

10By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

By the one offering of Christ, we are made holy (sanctified) once for all.

It should be noted for some, that the italicized "for all" is an insertion by the KJV translators.

Once is:

2178. ephapax ef-ap'-ax from 1909 and 530; upon one occasion (only):--(at) once (for all).

It should also be noted for some, that the words that I have emboldened in the Strong's definition above are not part of the definition, they are the words that ephapax have been translated into in the KJV.

So we see that the integrity of the translation is trustworthy, and we see that we are told that those who are sanctified are sanctified once for all.

Do you see the significance of that?

This is done by the "which will" found in our preceding verses (I am using the NKJV which shows Old Testament quotation):

Christ’s Death Fulfills God’s Will

5 Therefore, when He came into the world, He said:

“ Sacrifice and offering You did not desire,
    But a body You have prepared for Me.

6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin
    You had no pleasure.

7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come—
    In the volume of the book it is written of Me—
    To do Your will, O God.’”[a]

8 Previously saying, “Sacrifice and offering, burnt offerings, and offerings for sin You did not desire, nor had pleasure in them ” (which are offered according to the law),

9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will,O God.” He takes away the first that He may establish the second.

10 By that will [/B]we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

(emphasis mine)

He also said, "not my will, but thine be done."

It was the will of God to prepare a body for the Saviour, that He might offer that body in sacrifice for the sins of the world.

All scripture points to Jesus Christ.

We see we are sanctified by the offering (which is His death in our place) of Jesus Christ once for all.

12But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever
    , sat down on the right hand of God;

The work of salvation, was accomplished on the Cross.

God was satisfied with His one sacrifice sins, forever.

How is one sanctified?

By the death of Jesus Christ.

How is one perfected?

By the death of Jesus Christ.

What the law could not do, and still, can not do, is to make them that come unto Him perfect.

But by the offering up of Himself, the offering that was the will of God, Jesus, our Great High Priest, can.

Not only is our salvation complete in Him, it is made complete...forever.

This is why we can trust Him.

Look not to another, there is only one name given among men whereby we must be saved.

Not...can be saved.

But must be saved.

God bless.