1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Permission to use a Bible?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by av1611jim, Mar 26, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Roby;
    I am afraid you are right. I don't think it is "kosher" as you say, but there ya' go.
    TC;
    I have a very very good one anyway. Perhaps my "scholar" friends here could do it. Bluefalcon?
    Logos;
    NO. I don't think it to be any kind of a danger. Note the LDs church and what they have done or attempted to do with the KJV. As I said, the diligent among us would catch on pretty quick. And with the Internet technology we have, it would only be a matter of a few weeks and that "corruption" would flop.

***sigh***

Such is the world we live in.

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's a site with some info on the Mor(m)on KJV, the Joseph Smith Edition:

http://www.bible-researcher.com/jst.html

I've never seen Joey's edition, but as you can see, it could very easily fool a new Christian or anyone who hadn't read an AUTHENTIC BV very much. I hope you alse see how easily any other valid BV and not just the KJV could be thus altered by a charlatan of today if not for strict enforcing of copyright laws.

BTW, I haven't seen anyone have a legal problem from copying extensively from any copyrighted BV for any intended use of a Bible. In fact, I believe the publishers were rather pleased that their product was getting all that free publicity. We have no way of knowing now if this was GOD'S WILL or not, but I'd guess it IS, as he still oversees His word and won't allow it to become too corrupted. Notice that the clearly-bogus versions' sales are nearly zero after "promising" starts by some of them. About the only ones still selling are the cult-specific ones such as NWT, sold by the JWs' own printers/publishers.

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

The KJV-onlyists praise the KJV for (allegedly) not having a copyright, but they get their noses out of joint when someone (e.g. Scofield) alters the text, which of course they are entitled to do to a non-copyright text.

Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it, too. :rolleyes:

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do I. I have tyndale's 1535, 1560 and 1599 Geneva, and the Bishop's and the KJV and the NKJV plus other modern English versions. And I can use each and every one of them without question.