1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Perseverance? Luke 8 says no.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alex Quackenbush, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I've heard many an Arminian use Luke 8 to show that one can lose their salvation. But when you show them other passages of Scripture that clearly show that one cannot lose their salvation, they resort to a similar quip as yours above.

BTW, it was nice to see you congratulate yourself with your own thumbs up - it was very fitting for your m.o.

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

BTW, I see Luke 8 a little differently. Is there any rule that says each person is forever assigned to only one of the 4 groups? Throughout my life, I have found myself in all 4 groups (the first group only pre-salvation). But since salvation, I have wandered in out of the last 3 groups - even daily I can wander from group to group. But I haven't stayed solely in one group or the other. If someone who professes Christ never wanders out of group 2 or 3, then it could be that person was never saved. There is such a thing as false professors.

#22 Andy T., Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Also, a question on v. 12 of Luke 8. Why would God allow the devil to do such a mean thing? I thought everyone had unmitigated, equal access to salvation? What's up with that?!

4. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Your post serves to SUPPORT my lengthy post, thank you.

Let me isolate the most telling statement:

It is good to see you recognize all three as being saved.

Now, if only some one dares to tackle it hermeneutically/exegetically. In the mean time I am sure I will get plenty of sleep waiting.

5. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

When you come to understand the function of Angelic and Human volition in the Decree(s) of God, you will answer your question.

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Sounds like you want to run from the text on this one, Q. Which is fine with me, if by "running" you mean to interpret Scripture with Scripture. But that is what some others did in this thread and you made fun of them for "running from the text". Time to look in the mirror.

For me, Luke 8:12 is pretty simple to understand. But I doubt that my simple understanding is in the same league with your superior, advanced doctrinal studies on the matter.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Just doing my part to bolster your tiny ego, Q.

But what I haven't seen is proof that someone is at all times assigned to one of the three groups. I think most believers would admit that they have found themselves in all 3 of the groups at one time or another. It seems Scripture in other places teaches that when a man is born again (regenerated) that there is a change in that man. If there is no change in the man, then has he been regenerated?

#27 Andy T., Dec 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2007