1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peter and Catherine Marshall

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Bethany, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Bethany

Bethany New Member

I really enjoyed the works of Peter and Catherine Marshall. Peter Marshall's "Mr. Jones, Meet the Master" is a wonderful collection of his sermons laid out in an almost poetic fashion.

Catherine Marshall's fictional books "Christy" and "Julie" are entertaining and inspiring. Her non-fiction books are also worth reading. Her books brim with love for God and her fellow man.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't get good theology from them, but they are enjoyable reading and very inspirational. As a teen I read much of them.

3. Pete

Pete New Member

Haven't read them, but love "A Man Called Peter", book and movie [​IMG]

Managed a visit to N.Y. Av Presbyterian Church when I was in U.S. in Y2K...I hope Peter didn't mind me "borrowing" the pulpit there for a couple of photos [​IMG]

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have enjoyed reading them when I was younger.

5. Lil Sister

Lil Sister New Member

The books are well-written, but don't mix that up with trustworthy. In Catherine Marshall's books she pursues lines of thinking that are mystical and Charismatic, at best. I threw out "Christy" and the follow-up book because of that. Peter was a moderate conservative, with a taint of liberalism. There's so much better reading out there...why settle with wishy-washy? "Whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never read Catherine. Never felt the need to.

I have a copy of "Mr. Jones, Meet the Master" (original price, 35 cents) that has worn out and fallen apart. It's a great book, one full of the wonderful mystery and rationality of Christianity. There's not much better reading out there. I think I'll order another copy.