1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peter and Paul

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Sep 3, 2007.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Paul says he was the messenger of the Gospel for the Gentiles in Gal 2:2. It has always been said that Peter was the same thing for the Jews. Does anyone know where this is written in Scripture, especially in light of the fact that Peter told about Jesus to Cornelius in Acts 10 (a Gentile) before Paul ever really got started?

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The command of the disciples was to go into all the world.(Matt 28:18-20) Paul was distinctivley called to go out to the gentiles. No such distinction was made of the others. As far as a specific call of Peter such as you have metnioned it would be contrary to Matt.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is the purpose of the thread, to find where this was told to Peter. In one of the study Bibles I have, there is a chart contasting Peter with Paul. The chart says "missionary to the gentiles" and "missionary to the jews."

4. jellico25w

jellico25w New Member

Hello, What does your study bible say about this verse? Ga:2:7: But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
    Ga:2:8: (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles: I believe for the most part Paul was sent to the gentiles(Ac:18:6: And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.) But both men preached to both races for peter see:Ac:10:25: And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him. Paul would go to the synagogues to the Jews in gentile regions see:Ac:13:5: And when they were at Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews: and they had also John to their minister. Peter and Paul were given by God what group their ministry was to focus on, like Jesus however they did not refuse honest people seeking truth.M't:15:22: And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.
    M't:15:23: But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.
    M't:15:24: But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
    M't:15:25: Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
    M't:15:26: But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
    M't:15:27: And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.
    M't:15:28: Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour. Grace and Peace to you, jellico.

5. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Peter was the first to preach the gospel of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus to the Jews (Acts 2). Peter was instrumental in the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the Samaritans (Acts 8) and to the Gentiles at the house of Cornelius (Acts 11). The Galatians 2 passage clearly says that Paul was the Apostle of the Gentiles and Peter was the Apostle of the circumcision (Jews).

As far as Paul preaching to the Jews, it was always his practice on entering a new area to go to the Jews first and only to the Gentiles after the Jews had rejected the gospel message. Follow his missionary journeys and you will find this to always be the case in every area where Jews were present. This may be at least part of what is meant in Acts 1:16, "... the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." Paul even followed this practice upon his arrival in Rome for his trial (Acts 28:17-31).

When Jesus sent out the 12, He specifically told them, "Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel" (Matt 10:5-6).

In the great commission, following His death, burial and resurrection, Jesus said, "Preach the Gospel to every creature" and "ye shall be witnesses unto me in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and unto the uttermost parts of the earth".

#5 rjprince, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007