1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peter cuts off an ear

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 22:49-51 tells us about Peter cutting off an ear.
    Jesus then took the ear - and healed the man

Do you think that any of the critics of Jesus who
    witnessed this may have had a change of heart?

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. That, along with a kazillion other things that he did:

25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that should be written. Jn 21

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Jews saw Christ cause lame men to walk. They saw Him cleanse lepers, heal the sick, raise the dead, give sight to the blind and heal a withered hand. They saw Him raised from the dead, and their hearts stayed hard.

I do not believe this miracle above any of the others would have more efficacy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that thou doest, except God be with him."

I think there were many 'secret disciples of Jesus' among the Jews on account of His works.

#4 kyredneck, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 35-6. 'He looked at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, "Stretch out your hand. He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored. Then the Pharisees went out and began to plot with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus.'
    Nope. Miracles do not change folk's hearts. Only the Holy Spirit does that

• Like Like x 1
  6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Miracles would change the minds of those with changed hearts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll give example, consider Nathanael:

29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. Ro 2

47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!
    48 Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.
    49 Nathanael answered him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art King of Israel.
    50 Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee underneath the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these. Jn 1

Nathanael was already a child of God, the miracle convinced him Jesus was the Christ. Another example:

5 Now there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.
    6 And when this sound was heard, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speaking in his own language. Acts 2

These Jews were already children of God, this miracle at Pentecost had everything to do with persuading them of the truths that was preached that day.

Is it a hard thing to believe that there were children of God among the soldiers from the chief priest and elders on that night that could have been convinced by the miracle of the OP?

#7 kyredneck, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  8. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then there is this one and only one who returned and gave thanks... Brother Glen

Luke 17:11 And it came to pass, as he went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee.

17:12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:

17:13 And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.

17:14 And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.

17:15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,

17:16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.

17:17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?

17:18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.

17:19 And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What i am wondering is why Pro-Lifers have not said anything about Peter cutting off this man's ear?

10. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    37 But though He had performed so many signs before them, yet they were not believing in Him.
    38 This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet which he spoke: “Lord, who has believed our report? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”
    39 For this reason they could not believe, for Isaiah said again,
    40 “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, so that they would not see with their eyes and perceive with their heart, and be converted and I heal them.”
    41 These things Isaiah said because he saw His glory, and he spoke of Him.

42 Nevertheless many even of the rulers believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they were not confessing Him, for fear that they would be put out of the synagogue;
    43 for they loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God.